What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

hindy111

Post Whore
The point I was making is that any first grade coach could coach the Panthers team at the moment and they'd win the comp. The systems and process they have in place mean that they have the best players and the coach isn't really as much of an influence on games as people think. The recruitment and junior development pathways arent managed by the coach.

Put Cleary as the coach of any other team and I don't think he looks that good.

I just don't think some people on here give coaches enough credit. I agree there systems and junior kick arse. But he is a very good coach as well. He proved that at the Warriors.

Chipmunk

Coach
How do we get them off their gameplan? ... their gameplan is belt the f**k out of the other team in defense and dominate. First man in smashes and 2 more pile. They win by strength and fitness.
It is very simple stuff from the Panthers, based around simply run hard and tackle hard. They have the execution spot on most weeks.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just wanted to say you’re one of the best posters on the forum when it comes to analysis. Agree 100%. Everyone talks about how Penrith is this juggernaut and just too good because of how many great players they have but if you compare the teams (us and them) individually I think we stack up pretty well in terms of talent. This Penrith team is greater than the sum of its parts. Ivan deserves a lot of credit for assembling a team that plays a certain way and dominates using said method.

It's a no brainer that what the Pennies have achieved is a whole of club thing, but it's worth mentioning that those juniors coming through that form the bulk of that team isn't down to Cleary.

He wasn't there for most of it, the guy that sacked him the first time round deserves the credit for that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When Edwards just showed him the sideline, he rolled and lost, shoulda' come infield, Edwards had him for speed.
It's not that he had him for speed, he just had a shorter distance to cover due to the sideline. It's the same reason Gutherson is able to stop faster opponents from scoring.

Eelogical

Referee
The point I was making is that any first grade coach could coach the Panthers team at the moment and they'd win the comp. The systems and process they have in place mean that they have the best players and the coach isn't really as much of an influence on games as people think. The recruitment and junior development pathways arent managed by the coach.

Put Cleary as the coach of any other team and I don't think he looks that good.
Do you not think that junior teams are coached in a manor that is influenced by the NRL coach?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I’m saying they push the boundaries in the ruck continually and get away with it, good luck to them while we are like little lambs not game to try anything. As I said nice guys win absolutely nothing.
GF experience.

Penrith learnt the hard way in 2020 against Melbourne.

Unfortunately we have always done it our way by being disciplined which is fine btw.

But for us to beat Penrith we had to push the boundaries tonight and we didn't.

We will learn and hopefully in 13 years we make a GF again and another generation can get the job done.

lucablight

First Grade
It's a no brainer that what the Pennies have achieved is a whole of club thing, but it's worth mentioning that those juniors coming through that form the bulk of that team isn't down to Cleary.

He wasn't there for most of it, the guy that sacked him the first time round deserves the credit for that.
Remember when Gus Gould used to get mocked for his 5 year plan proclamation?

Bandwagon

Staff member
It's not that he had him for speed, he just had a shorter distance to cover due to the sideline. It's the same reason Gutherson is able to stop faster opponents from scoring.

It's the same thing, you only need enough speed to cover the distance you have to travel, you don't need to be literally faster if the distance is shorter, just fast enough to close the gap.

The smarter you are, the less fast you need to be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not sure about that mate. Ivan has developed a great squad and bought in guys like Sorrenson who was a dead set plodder along with Salmon who we had and was able to make one an excellent first grader and the other a solid utility. Both would cost peanuts.
Player for player if you looked at them individually I see it quite even. Its more the style of players Ivan recruited and style of footy they play. Fast, fit and mobile whilst we have bigger forward who can offload and more skill with the ball.
BA is ok and we've established that. And he finally had a bit of luck in the finals. But I wouldn't dream of extending him anytime soon. We remained inconsistent all year.
Penrith's key players were all already at the club when Cleary came back.

DaveMc

Juniors
Moving forward we need to fix the junior system.
Untill we have a constant flow of good kids coming through every year we will only continue to get the odd one off shot every 10yrs when the top sides have a poor run with injuries like the Storm,Roosters,Souths did this year.

That or someone to get some TPAs going.
With the amount of people in Parra today wearing jerseys and spending money hand over fist at the leagues club, it should be a no brainer to have lots available in TPAs. The fanbase is enormous, and so keen for success.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Really?? They got away with murder in the ruck, especially that first 30 mins. That penis Klein called nothing. While we get up and almost help them opposition up to their feet. Still the most naive and dumbest team in the comp.
This....

We might as well not have even bothered making the tackles....they' were so quick to get off the tackled player it was as if the were throwing the game....yet Panthers were rubbing thier heads in the turf after every tackle and getting away with it....

I guess it comes down to experience in the big games, and when we make the grand final again in 10 years time, we will be better for it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
With the amount of people in Parra today wearing jerseys and spending money hand over fist at the leagues club, it should be a no brainer to have lots available in TPAs. The fanbase is enormous, and so keen for success.
We are just a tin pot little club with no resources lucky to have to coins to scratch together. Amazing achievement to make the finals.