What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The point I was making is that any first grade coach could coach the Panthers team at the moment and they'd win the comp. The systems and process they have in place mean that they have the best players and the coach isn't really as much of an influence on games as people think. The recruitment and junior development pathways arent managed by the coach.

Put Cleary as the coach of any other team and I don't think he looks that good.
Well look at his record before this second stint at Penrith. Arsed his way into a grand final with the Warriors, no different than Arthur has done this year with Parra.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The kick was only a problem because we were complete pillows in defence.
True but do you reckon it was the play at the time.

We needed the grind to beat the Panthers we needed to take it as deep as possible.

Not give away cheap possession with good field position to attack from which we didn't get for another 25-30 mins.

DaveMc

Juniors
Not long back from the ground. It was funny, after the first two Penrith tries it was obvious it was going to be a long night, and so it was. They’re just relentless, and don’t give you a sniff. The game was refereed entirely unlike the regular season, and we didn’t adjust.

The main thing that shit me off watching in person was how poor our first contact was in defence. Mahoney seemed to just get pinballed time and again.

Pretty deflated feeling walking along Church Street tonight. Let’s hope we can bounce back next year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I just don't think some people on here give coaches enough credit. I agree there systems and junior kick arse. But he is a very good coach as well. He proved that at the Warriors.
He is a perfectly good coach. Not suggesting he isn't.

But when people talk about Penrith's period of dominance in years to come they'll mention two things. Amazing junior production line, and future immortal Nathan Cleary.

The influence of a coach on a win or loss is massively overstated on here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just don't think some people on here give coaches enough credit. I agree there systems and junior kick arse. But he is a very good coach as well. He proved that at the Warriors.
His win rate at the Warriors was less than 51% including only 40% in the finals. Getting an arsey grand final appearance where they got flogged is no sign of a great coach. Brad Arthur has done it.

Last edited:

Soto

Bench
Not sure what was worse the 01 first half or tonight.

The game turned when we did that stupid kick on 1st tackle in the 8th min after our 1st penalty when it was 0-0.

After that we didn't recover.

Would we have won probably not but that trick shot simply was utter stupidity as we didn't have any ball inside our half for basically the next 25-30 mins and game was done and dusted.
I agree that kick was plain dumb and stupid. Can't score if you give the ball away and are unable to build any kind of pressure. Be a.good move if 1 or 2 tries ahead.
Be interesting to see how the club responds to this.
Penrith has the squad to vie for another comp again next yr.
Hurting and disappointed but not heartbroken. I guess just used to it now
That was my 3rd GF for 3rd loss. Maybe I should never go again 😪

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a no brainer that what the Pennies have achieved is a whole of club thing, but it's worth mentioning that those juniors coming through that form the bulk of that team isn't down to Cleary.

He wasn't there for most of it, the guy that sacked him the first time round deserves the credit for that.
The Dogs tried throwing big money at a multiple premiership winning coach and got f**k all. Looks like they might've learnt where success comes from with the Gould signing.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
True but do you reckon it was the play at the time.

We needed the grind to beat the Panthers we needed to take it as deep as possible.

Not give away cheap possession with good field position to attack from which we didn't get for another 25-30 mins.
No way we beat Penrith at their best in a grind. We have to take risks. Hard to do that when you can't rely on your defence.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I agree that kick was plain dumb and stupid. Can't score if you give the ball away and are unable to build any kind of pressure. Be a.good move if 1 or 2 tries ahead.
Be interesting to see how the club responds to this.
Penrith has the squad to vie for another comp again next yr.
Hurting and disappointed but not heartbroken. I guess just used to it now
That was my 3rd GF for 3rd loss. Maybe I should never go again 😪
Same I am 0/3 but what do you do.

We haven't scored a try in the first half in our last 3 GFs.

Nerves, expectation I don't know but once Penrith scored we didn't recover and it was game over basically.

Gutted as tonight's effort leaves a sour taste on what should have been a successful year for the club.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think we are going to be stuck with Arthur and his son for another 5 years. I can’t see winning anything with him. He was out coached. Not to mention the players leaving.
His problem is he's a nice guy. You can't win being a nice guy in NRL.

Luai kicked Papalii on the ground in plain view. How much more grubby can you get? Totally let go.

After this week, I know a lot of BA and I respect him but until him or someone at the club makes us grubs, we won't win it.