What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

hindy111

Post Whore
Daniel Anderson is on record as saying that he didn't know why they started playing well. Amazing run home but a very poor start to the season. Will always be remembered for what one player did rather than an example of a great team.

Interesting view. So no other player in that side improved?

Grothe,Burt,Inu,Cayless,MoiMoi,Hindmarsh, Mateo. Those 7 guys where excellent rugby league n players. All make this year's top 17.

Hayne was out of this world but so was MoiMoi. Kingston and Mateo would come on and wreak havoc.
Our defense become rock solid. Was Hayne the defense?

Honestly it was brilliant coaching. They began to punch hard, defend hard and offload

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Interesting. So no other player in that side improved?

Grothe,Burt,Inu,Cayless,MoiMoi,Hindmarsh, Mateo. Those 7 guys where excellent rugby league n players. All make this year's top 17.
I'm just telling you how its portrayed now.

I always thought MoiMoi was a big reason we came good but its only ever really talked about in terms of Hayne.

Overall I think the 2022 team is a lot better, but we are missing a game changer like Hayne or MoiMoi.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm just telling you how its portrayed now.

I always thought MoiMoi was a big reason we came good but its only ever really talked about in terms of Hayne.

Overall I think the 2022 team is a lot better, but we are missing a game changer like Hayne or MoiMoi.

2009 side blows them out of the water. Not even a close fight.
Heaps more heart in that side and leaders. Along with genuine x factor in Mateo,MoiMoi and Hayne. While Kingston punished sides off bench unlike JA.
And legends like Hindmarsh. Our no name halves had great seasons also.

2022 side was more workman like. No real leadership or x factor. And a bench that carried blokes. Soft defense. No real toughness about it physically in comparison.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Heaps more heart in that side and leaders. Along with genuine x factor in Mateo,MoiMoi and Hayne. While Kingston punished sides off bench unlike JA.

2022 side was more workman like. No real leadership or x factor. And a bench that carried blokes. Soft defense. No real toughness about it physically in comparison.
I disagree. 2009 was half a season preceded by plop and followed by plop. Exciting for a brief period, but ultimately a flash in the pan.

2022 was built off several years of strong performances.

TheParraboy

Staff member
It was a brilliant footy side that was squashing sides and playing exciting footy.
Anyhows I am more against BA due to the way he carries himself. We need to become more professional and need a guy who presents himself better. Suit and tie. Well spoken.
Huge club with market membership and by far the biggest city. I mean the Roosters you can't really count the CBD.
It's time to step it up and not be seen as this westie bogun club for marketing purposes. We are in a position to be a powerhouse

Like Ivan? :p

Gronk

Staff member
I disagree. 2009 was half a season preceded by plop and followed by plop. Exciting for a brief period, but ultimately a flash in the pan.

100% 2009 was Jarryd Hayne dragging Wenty Magpies team into the GF. We are playing far better footy than 2009 and are a far better team across the park.

hindy111

Post Whore

We are talking about 2009 vs 2022 not what did previously.
What was our winning streak in 2022. 3 games. We would start to look good then get walloped. Never any consitency
In 2009 we won a silly amount. And every team feared us towards the end. We couldn't afford to lose a game.
In finals we beat teams who finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd only to lose to a side who was massively rorting the salary cap.

hindy111

Post Whore
100% 2009 was Jarryd Hayne dragging Wenty Magpies team into the GF. We are playing far better footy than 2009 and are a far better team across the park.

Hayne
Inu, Burt,Reddy,Grothe, Robson,Mortimer,
Cayless,MK,MoiMoi,
Hindmarsh,Ben.Smith,Lowrie

Bench
Mateo,Gulavo,Kingston, Mannah

Yep a Wenty magpies team hey How many of those guys played over 100 NRL GAMES?. f**k me dead some of you guys are clueless. That side was a perfect blend. You had the power of Grothe and Inu. Skill and speed of Burt.
Moi Moi our most destructive forward ever. Mateos silky ball skills. The legend Hindmarsh. Our most skill full player ever Hayne. One of our great leaders in Cayless
Guys like B.Smith and Lowrie where brilliant in defense.

What a f**king insult calling these guys wenty players.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Oddly enough , we started to fire when Fitzy was outed in 2009
We started to go on our roll very soon after

Word has it all players didnt vote for him. Not sure any truth in that. Did it play a part we had a different attitude and energy? No idea what happened behind the scenes, if anything

IFR33K

Coach
Hayne
Cayless,MK,MoiMoi,

Bench

Yep a Wenty magpies team hey How many of those guys played over 100 NRL GAMES?. f**k me dead some of you guys are clueless. That side was a perfect blend. You had the power of Grothe and Inu. Skill and speed of Burt.
Moi Moi our most destructive forward ever. Mateos silky ball skills. The legend Hindmarsh. Our most skill full player ever Hayne. One of our great leaders in Cayless

They were a good team on paper. Clicked into gear and almost won the f^*ker.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We are talking about 2009 vs 2022 not what did previously.
What was our winning streak in 2022. 3 games. We would start to look good then get walloped. Never any consitency
In 2009 we won a silly amount. And every team feared us towards the end. We couldn't afford to lose a game.
In finals we beat teams who finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd only to lose to a side who was massively rorting the salary cap.
In 2022 compared to 2009

We won more games
We had better points differential
We had an established set of halves
We were never outside of the Top 8 at any stage
We beat the eventual premiers twice
We had a more balanced squad
We had more rep players

You can’t be coming 14th after 18 rounds and be considered a truly great side. What the f**k were those guys doing for the first 4 months on the comp.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Daniel Anderson is on record as saying that he didn't know why they started playing well. Amazing run home but a very poor start to the season. Will always be remembered for what one player did rather than an example of a great team.
The 2009 side was so good, that a pretty similar eels team came 12th in 2010 with 14 loses…

hindy111

Post Whore
Fisher-Harris:

“(To) everyone that has gone before us, much respect, but as I said on (Sunday) night, we are the Penrith greatest team ever,”

Do you want to say it in English you dopey shit?

Opposition was weak. That 91 side that beat Canberra and 2003 side that beat Roosters where bloody good sides and beat far better opponents. Weak comp this year

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

The 2009 side:

2008 - missed finals
2009 - 8th
2010 - missed finals
2011 - missed finals

2022 side:

2019 - 5th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 4th

hardly an indication of a great squad or coaching (yes I know there was different coaches over 2009 years)……the 2022 side can consistently compete against the best (mentally stronger) while the 2009 could only do it for a few months (mentally weak?)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hayne
Cayless,MK,MoiMoi,

Bench

I agree. Calling them Wenty players is disrespectful.