What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Opposition was weak. That 91 side that beat Canberra and 2003 side that beat Roosters where bloody good sides and beat far better opponents. Weak comp this year
Neither of those sides won two premierships or made 3 in a row. Maybe it’s too early to compare but by the time this mob is done I think they’ll easily go down as the best.

F**ken can’t stand them though.

Happy MEel

First Grade
We seriously overrate our players. I'm sure all fans do. There is no doubt some Roosters fans who think their club should have gotten more than three merkins picked.

ClubKangaroos
North Queensland4
Easts3
Penrith3
Souths3
Canterbury2
Manly2
Melbourne2
Brisbane1
Canberra1
Gold Coast1
Parramatta1
St George1

We won a prelim in Townsville and still had fewer players picked in the Australian team than them. It's time to stop blaming the coach. He obviously did a good job with the squad he has. He also had some luck, just not on grand final day. It all comes out in the wash.
With pretty much all pacific nations players choosing to play for them rather than Australia, I’d say this is a fairly meaningless table. For example, I think Junior is picked in the Australian squad if he doesn’t preference Samoa.

hindy111

Post Whore
The 2009 side:

2008 - missed finals
2009 - 8th
2010 - missed finals
2011 - missed finals

2022 side:

2019 - 5th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 4th

hardly an indication of a great squad or coaching (yes I know there was different coaches over 2009 years)……the 2022 side can consistently compete against the best (mentally stronger) while the 2009 could only do it for a few months (mentally weak?)

So what. None of those years where we ever a real genuine threat. Even including this year. Unless Nathan was sent off early and we got to play 12 men perhaps.

2009 we only just lost. Was a balls up when I think Reddy went off in positioning that lead to a try off a bomb against a side rorting the cap by a stack.

Bulldogs where very consistent also and made 2 grand finals under Des. But they rissoles him also.

NRL is different now also. Hardly ever had more then 2 or 3 yr contracts. Squads changed fast.
Daniel Anderson was a better coach then BA. I'm sure he also bought Dylan Brown to the club.
He just never was given a real chance.

IFR33K

Coach
The 2009 side:

2008 - missed finals
2009 - 8th
2010 - missed finals
2011 - missed finals

2022 side:

2019 - 5th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 4th

hardly an indication of a great squad or coaching (yes I know there was different coaches over 2009 years)……the 2022 side can consistently compete against the best (mentally stronger) while the 2009 could only do it for a few months (mentally weak?)

we were entering the worst period in the club’s history in 09.

that team had speed, power, mobility and unpredictability.

IFR33K

Coach
The 2009 side:

2008 - missed finals
2009 - 8th
2010 - missed finals
2011 - missed finals

2022 side:

2019 - 5th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 4th

U also forgot to mention 05, 06 and 07 eels making the finals

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I was asking about the coach.

I'm not going to get personal with you because I could crush you like a pissant. Just answer the question please.
Personal?? You think I’m getting personal?? Lol and wow big tough man in an Internet forum. Time to step away from the keyboard and Pou’s gooch Shadow. You were much cooler when you were a piss wreck.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol, it’s amazing the stats that get left out by the Bea Arthur fan club. Well anyway it’s all a moot(moot point) he’ll be here for two more years in the least probably 4 I hope everyone loved the ride because it’s going to to set the club back in the long run.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lol, it’s amazing the stats that get left out by the Bea Arthur fan club. Well anyway it’s all a moot(moot point) he’ll be here for two more years in the least probably 4 I hope everyone loved the ride because it’s going to to set the club back in the long run.
Yeah. That was selective use of data. I agree.

hindy111

Post Whore
Neither of those sides won two premierships or made 3 in a row. Maybe it’s too early to compare but by the time this mob is done I think they’ll easily go down as the best.

F**ken can’t stand them though.

Penrith made two in a row and won one in 90/91 Different eras. The opposition they beat was better then.I mean Canberra was unbelievably good. That squad!

I'm not dishing on this side. Great side.Maybe will be best ever. But they haven't had to face any true great sides or heavyweights. There biggest threats this season was Roosters and Storm and they got hammered by injuries.
We can talk our side up but reality is we where inconsistent and had the 8th best defense.

I would say however Penriths side is the best defensive and most brutal side I have ever seen ever in all the years I have watched NRL.
It's out of this world good.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I honestly wish I had the confidence in our team to truly believe we'd be back next year to go one further with the experience of this loss to fuel us. The last time I had that much confidence in the side next year ended up taking thirteen years to come and it's the exact same result.
Yep unlike 2002 and 2010 I don't think we will be premiership favourites next year.

Which will probably help. Most of the commentary is already about our premiership window closing.

While we are a touch weaker I don't think we slide too far down the table i still see us in the 5th-8th bracket of teams that can push for top 4 again.

Just depends on how the players deal with a GF Loss. As you said 2002 & 2010 were disappointing seasons both seasons only won 10 games. Missed the finals in 2010 and got knocked out week 1 in 2002.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah because it would of been a great environment for da, especially with a knife in his back
We were going well in 2010 until they found out about the cap cheating, they fired up for the Melbun game and that was about it. It didn’t help that BA was a dead man walking from July onwards.

IFR33K

Coach
I know which team I’d rather watch. The 09 team could score a try from anywhere. Way more entertaining, ruthless and played with skill. The form of moi moi and Hayne was unbelievable. Lowrie was awesome, vintage hindy and calyo. With superior tries finished by Burt and Inu.

Noise

Coach
The 2009 side:

2008 - missed finals
2009 - 8th
2010 - missed finals
2011 - missed finals

2022 side:

2019 - 5th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 4th

First of all in 2021 we came 6th, not 5th. And why did you not compare the 3 years preceding 2009 like you did 2022? That would be a more like for like analysis and it is much closer, main difference we didn't make the semis i 2008:

2006 - 8th (1st round)
2007 - 4th (prelim)
2008 - Missed Finals
2009 - 8th (grand final)

2019 - 5th (out 2nd round)
2020 - 3rd (out 2nd round)
2021 - 6th (out 2nd round)
2022 - 4th (grand final)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well I was comparing 4 years ……but if did show 2015, 16, 17, 18, it wouId further show what a great job BA has done…..we are heading up…

While those 3 show how poor Anderson/Hagan were, they took a quality squad / side yet still managed to miss the finals under their watch…..

Michael Matral

Juniors
Penrith got blown away in there 1st GF in 2020 against Melbourne.

Forget what Gus says that Penrith were the better team.

They were deer in the headlights were down 22-0 at HT and 26-0 during the 2nd half.

It happens especially when a lack of GF experience comes up against a side with plenty.

Just need to get back there in the next year or two and not wait another for another generation to come through and go through the same things again.
True story, that 2020 GF had me in tears, it was tough to take..but our young team lifted themselves off the canvas and came back brutal in 2021 and 2022. Parra need to to regroup and draw strength off that loss and rip in next year, would love a second Parra Panthers GF if we are good enough to make it next year.