What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

hindy111

Post Whore
Lol, it’s amazing the stats that get left out by the Bea Arthur fan club. Well anyway it’s all a moot(moot point) he’ll be here for two more years in the least probably 4 I hope everyone loved the ride because it’s going to to set the club back in the long run.

They need to buy him some sneakers

hindy111

Post Whore
Personal?? You think I’m getting personal?? Lol and wow big tough man in an Internet forum. Time to step away from the keyboard and Pou’s gooch Shadow. You were much cooler when you were a piss wreck.

Below belt. Coffee come out of my mouth.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree. Calling them Wenty players is disrespectful.
I think it was obvious that I was exaggerating re Wenty. I stand by what I said however. Our 09 team was garbage before our own Michael Jordan dragged the team into the GF single handedly. We were not even in the 8 until Round 25. At Round 18 with 8 games to go we were 14th. Anyone romanticizing our performance or our roster as being equal or even close to this year needs their head read. Run at me merkins.

1664835108027.png
1664835121652.png
=========================================================

1664835130744.png

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
First of all in 2021 we came 6th, not 5th. And why did you not compare the 3 years preceding 2009 like you did 2022? That would be a more like for like analysis and it is much closer, main difference we didn't make the semis i 2008:

2006 - 8th (1st round)
2007 - 4th (prelim)
2008 - Missed Finals
2009 - 8th (grand final)

2019 - 5th (out 2nd round)
2020 - 3rd (out 2nd round)
2021 - 6th (out 2nd round)
2022 - 4th (grand final)
We were comparing the 2009 side as being great, and was trying to show either season of that side was average …not a sign of a great side (or was it poor coaching)….

anyhow far enough..apart from making the 2007 prelim, the current 4 years is probably a better period….both Hagan / Anderson failed to follow up a good season with a finals spot…

Let’s see how 2023 goes…

Gronk

Staff member
We had 9 days to recover this time, and play them at a neutral venue, I liked to know what we did on those 9 days. Because preparing for a GF didn’t look like one of them.
There are two narratives here in the post game wash up.

One is that the Pennys were on another level, unbeatable and would have won by 3 or 4 tries vs any team.

Another is that it was an opportunity lost due to poor preparation, lack of mental strength and poor game plan and/or execution of game plan and somehow we should have overcome their superior everything.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We needed Kaufusi to provide what Leinu does for Penrith.

He is probably our like for like. Kaufusi unfortunately just didn't make enough impact off the bench that Spencer does in 20-25 min stint.

Very interesting how he goes at Cronulla under Fitzy.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

One is that the Pennys were on another level, unbeatable and would have won by 3 or 4 tries vs any team.

Another is that it was an opportunity lost due to poor preparation, lack of mental strength and poor game plan and/or execution of game plan and somehow we should have overcome their superior everything.
I think a bit of both, we’re the Panthers ther good or did our lack of anything make it all the more easy for them??? I think again out scramble was fantastic but we did little else to pressure them. Chinry played in a dinner suit yet again.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I’ve been arguing the first narrative but it’s probably a bit of both tbh.

yy_cheng

Coach
We needed Kaufusi to provide what Leinu does for Penrith.

He is probably our like for like. Kaufusi unfortunately just didn't make enough impact off the bench that Spencer does in 20-25 min stint.

Very interesting how he goes at Cronulla under Fitzy.
I think 1 or 2 years ago, there was a game when Kaufusi was running from the back fence and hitting the line really hard and I thought wow, he's turned the corner.

But afterwards, he just went back to his old self.

Chipmunk

Coach

In my view both teams only played as well as their opponent let them.

Sure the Panthers played well, but there was little more to the Panthers game in the first 20 minutes that wasn't just built off the back of run hard and tackle hard. This was something we didn't counteract, nor did we really play in a way that would've counteracted this. We virtually stopped running hard, tackling hard, having any line speed in defence and chasing the downtown kick as a team after only 2 sets in the game. The first 2 sets in the game is all we turned up for in a Grand Final and needed to do everything that what was needed. After that, we never did what was needed to win that game. The worst aspect was probably our line speed failure, even early when both teams line was set and able to move up with good line speed, the Panthers did and we did not. The game was virtually lost right there.

People need to go and have a look at the replay of the first 20 minutes or so to see just how for whatever reason we just weren't prepared to do what was needed, which for me is disappointing, because we've done it before this year against Penrith.

King-Gutho94

Coach
2009 is the most bizarre season of all time.

Our first 18 weeks mostly was dreadful. Some of the performances were as gutless as what we produced in Wooden Spoon seasons.

I remember a home game at Homebush against the Dogs early on we simply gave up they put 48 on us and seriously it was one of most weak gutted displays I have seen.

Then we copped the utter humiliation by losing to a busted sharks team at home on a 11 game losing streak.

By the time the streak started I was more cconcerned about getting the spoon then making finals.

Jarryd no doubt carried us but it was a perfect storm of momentum as we had the likes of Robson, Mortimer, Keating, Kingston in career best form. MoiMoi was best front rower in the comp for 3 months. EGJ played like a man possessed and stayed on his winh.

Lowrie, Ben Smith, Galuvao did there jobs in the backrow. Cayless and Hindy just did what they always did.