What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most boring grandfinal ever?

bathtime

Juniors
This was all over before half time. Penrith are a great side, wish we had a few of their players, coach and culture. But Parra were on valium. I have never seen less intense defence in a grandfinal, from parra. The commentators, stretching to think of something to say, started talking about the magnificent ground while we waited for parra to knock on again. Made the st George side v Brisbane 92,93 look really good

Dragon David

First Grade
Not a very exciting, nail biting grand final, that's for sure. Got boring and Penrith looked home and hosed at half time. Parra lacked so much punch from how they played in their finals matches. One match too many for them I suppose but wow, not winning a grand final in 36 years, you would think that the players and coaches would have lifted another level. I guess Penrith just didn't let them.

Penrith know how to win these games. They play hard and tight footy. Rush in to defend and run at speed in attack pacing themselves for 80 minutes with their fitness and conditioning.

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Was the GF only available on 9? I was away from home and had no choice but to watch it on 9. Couldn't believe the number of ads for such an important fixture. The coverage didn't really capture the atmosphere with so many interruptions. Have just read viewers were way down for a GF. I say 9 got what it deserved in that case. And when will 9 get commentators to just call the game with helpful comments from an expert without using every superlative in the English language to make the game out to be better than it really is?

Dragon David

First Grade
Was the GF only available on 9? I was away from home and had no choice but to watch it on 9. Couldn't believe the number of ads for such an important fixture. The coverage didn't really capture the atmosphere with so many interruptions. Have just read viewers were way down for a GF. I say 9 got what it deserved in that case. And when will 9 get commentators to just call the game with helpful comments from an expert without using every superlative in the English language to make the game out to be better than it really is?
Channel 9 had the rights to show the GF live and Foxtel was able to show it in a delayed telecast. Yep, the ads did punctuate the "flow" of the game too often. I think they show too many ads during the weekly games so that is why I'm glad I pay for Kayo.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Channel 9 had the rights to show the GF live and Foxtel was able to show it in a delayed telecast. Yep, the ads did punctuate the "flow" of the game too often. I think they show too many ads during the weekly games so that is why I'm glad I pay for Kayo.
The game got in the way of the ads, that's how ch9 see it and that spider cam view is horrid, should only be shown when try's are scored and you want to analyse that play...
PS 92 GF was boring as bat shit as told by my mates.

Gareth67

First Grade
What about the classy entertainment they dished out . I swear that poor old Jimmy Barnes will keel over one day whilst he is performing on stage . The poor sod will have a heart attack the way he screams .

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed he songs when I was younger , but for pity sake that was a hell of a long time ago .

Dragon David

First Grade
What about the classy entertainment they dished out . I swear that poor old Jimmy Barnes will keel over one day whilst he is performing on stage . The poor sod will have a heart attack the way he screams .

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed he songs when I was younger , but for pity sake that was a hell of a long time ago .
Good "old" Jimmy Barnes. Yelling and screaming and going red with high blood pressure and all. Yesterday's Hero is the song he should have sang.

To me the pre-entertainment is a waste of money.

slippery5

Juniors
This was all over before half time. Penrith are a great side, wish we had a few of their players, coach and culture. But Parra were on valium. I have never seen less intense defence in a grandfinal, from parra. The commentators, stretching to think of something to say, started talking about the magnificent ground while we waited for parra to knock on again. Made the st George side v Brisbane 92,93 look really good
Half time? I told my daughter after 10 min. "it's all over" & she said "yep & I don't think Parra will score a point". If the game went for 75 minutes she would have been right!!!!!

BLM01

First Grade
I didn't find it boring. Watching the Storm get absolutely humiliated and seeing that bigot crying after fulltime was glorious. If it was Saints that did it to them I would have died from an overdose of joy.

My pick: 2017 Grand final.
I just came from a space hated both teams and did not care. Then the game itself...

Gareth67

First Grade
Good "old" Jimmy Barnes. Yelling and screaming and going red with high blood pressure and all. Yesterday's Hero is the song he should have sang.

The fools should had used their heads and hauled Tina Turner out of the nursing home , at least she would had shown a bit of leg .

The gal certainly had me excited back in the 90’s the way she would romp around singing ‘ Simply the Best ‘ the NRL theme song . 😋

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

DD, thanks for the clarification on Ch 9's rights. Now on pre-entertainment I have told this story on here before I think but it is again appropriate:

About a decade or so ago I met one of the Balmain Tigers' team in the 1955 GF vs the Rabbits. I asked him about the pre-game entertainment that year. He said the Souths players ran out each carrying a rabbit which they let go onto the SCG. That was it! Simpler, more fun times without all the BS and carry on of today.

jeffdragon

Bench
DD, thanks for the clarification on Ch 9's rights. Now on pre-entertainment I have told this story on here before I think but it is again appropriate:

About a decade or so ago I met one of the Balmain Tigers' team in the 1955 GF vs the Rabbits. I asked him about the pre-game entertainment that year. He said the Souths players ran out each carrying a rabbit which they let go onto the SCG. That was it! Simpler, more fun times without all the BS and carry on of today.
Turned that part off as soon as I seen the two young guys and girl come out before Jimmy.
Off topic AFL.gf pre 'game.
When they play ' Up There Cazaly' that never gets old.

jeffdragon

Bench
The fools should had used their heads and hauled Tina Turner out of the nursing home , at least she would had shown a bit of leg .

The gal certainly had me excited back in the 90’s the way she would romp around singing ‘ Simply the Best ‘ the NRL theme song . 😋
Simply the Best.
Show No mercy, by Mike Williams i think, songs, still remember those.

BLM01

First Grade

Id prefer the 3 games closer together and have the old style NRL olympics for teams not competing.
Faster over 100m, 400m etc and other events

Qdf

Juniors
The 9 coverage was an absolute disaster. Wouldn't think these people running channel 9 could put out such a shit performance. Entertainment a disgrace.
Camera angles pathetic.
Commentary woeful.
All in all -10 out of 10.
The NRL should hang their head in shame, it was pathetic.

One match too many for them I suppose
That is how I saw it too DD. No where near the intensity of their previous two games. Panthers have such great depth due to their never ending nursery so continue to produce match winners across all positions. Led by our Kangaroo half they simply blew Parra off the park.