What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I wonder whether we can turn Salmon into full time edge backrower. Seems to be big enough now and has a bit of weak gutted mongrel in him.

That could be an option, As a former half he'd be a better at ball playing than Hosking or Garner

Blade23

Juniors
Does this change our mind on Peachey?

Letting Staines go for extra cap space is fine and makes sense. It's wasting a spot on Peachey who just doesn't fit into the culture we built that worries me.

Not sure how we save money by taking him for Staines. Surely we save more by just getting rid of Staines, not getting Pea hey and keeping what we have?

Unless we're able to somehow sign Peachey below minimum wage or have him on our cap for below minimum wage ,(ie. Tigers paying him. $150k. We pay him $50k)

But I highly doubt we've managed that or that the NRL would allow it. If so then the deal finally makes sense.

No.

The only way to get another club for Staines right now is a player swap. The are not many takers for him at his current price. No other club will take him off our books for full value. We get Staines off the books for Peachey and save around $150-$200K.
Peachey is taking a big pay cut. He wants to come back, is prepared to take a pay cut and work hard for an opportunity. It will be 1 year deal. It won't be minimum wage but it will still be low. Minimum risk.
Apart from any crazy offers, getting this deal done will be the difference to keep who the club wants to keep.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Because its going to save us a good amount of cap space according to blade. Peach wont be blocking anyones way, if our young guys are good enough they will get picked over him. I daresay we are taking Peach cause that is who wests want to offload and Peach is willing to take a paycut that will save us cap space. Its about freeing up cap space to help retain our stars its not about getting peach to come in and play a big role.
But Staines can get released find a club.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
TTWas watching the Koori Knock Out, Peachey playing for Wellington, looked grossly overweight and underwhelming performance. Hopefully commonsense prevails, keep Charlie unless there is another prospect on the radar.

I think it's a salary cap thing. Penrith need salary cap space.....a couple of cup players can do Staines's role for 1/2 his wage.

Peach will replace Tito in cup.

Smart business.

Pomoz

Bench
I can't believe no other club wants somebody of Staines quality and won't pay more than $200k. He has really proven himself this year. He must have worked hard in the off season to build his strength because he doesn't get rag-dolled like he used to. He lost a bit of pace doing that, but he is still plenty fast enough and has shown he can be a really good quality winger. He just needs a bit more experience.

The Eels could replace either Sivo or Blake with him. He can catch and he isn't lazy like those two. His defence is better than both of them. The Dolphins also need first graders and depth.

The way clubs manage rosters is mystifying sometimes!

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
No.

The only way to get another club for Staines right now is a player swap. The are not many takers for him at his current price. No other club will take him off our books for full value. We get Staines off the books for Peachey and save around $150-$200K.
Peachey is taking a big pay cut. He wants to come back, is prepared to take a pay cut and work hard for an opportunity. It will be 1 year deal. It won't be minimum wage but it will still be low. Minimum risk.
Apart from any crazy offers, getting this deal done will be the difference to keep who the club wants to keep.

Thanks for explaining it Blade. Makes a lot of sense when thought about. Sad to see Charlie go.....But 'needs must'.

Kenny just isn’t going to last long as our hooker, he’s just too limited. It might be the case we continue with the game plan of starting him and then bringing Soni Luke on to finish the game, though. It wouldn’t surprise me if neither of those guys are our hooker come 2024, but I really hope Luke can prove me wrong. He’s got the style of game that can help us, but I’m not sure he’s up to FG standard. Genuinely hope I’m wrong, it’d be a hell of a fairytale if he was to become a quality FG hooker.

I can't believe no other club wants somebody of Staines quality and won't pay more than $200k. He has really proven himself this year. He must have worked hard in the off season to build his strength because he doesn't get rag-dolled like he used to. He lost a bit of pace doing that, but he is still plenty fast enough and has shown he can be a really good quality winger. He just needs a bit more experience.

The Eels could replace either Sivo or Blake with him. He can catch and he isn't lazy like those two. His defence is better than both of them. The Dolphins also need first graders and depth.

Good point about Blake. It’s his final year next year, Staines would be a real improvement for them. I’d keep Sivo though, the Eels need some X-factor.

Kilkenny

Coach
Kenny just isn’t going to last long as our hooker, he’s just too limited. It might be the case we continue with the game plan of starting him and then bringing Soni Luke on to finish the game, though. It wouldn’t surprise me if neither of those guys are our hooker come 2024, but I really hope Luke can prove me wrong. He’s got the style of game that can help us, but I’m not sure he’s up to FG standard. Genuinely hope I’m wrong, it’d be a hell of a fairytale if he was to become a quality FG hooker.
NSW Cup to NRL week in week out is a huge step up.

If you watch Soni Luke closely he can do things in attack that even Api Koroisau can’t do. Whether he can replicate his attacking skills at NRL level week in week out remains to be seen, but I do think as a combination Kenny - Luke they could be very effective. Luke was MOM in NSW Cup GF don’t know who won it on Sunday but Luke must have gone close again.

Of the juniors coming thru I think Billy Scott from SG Ball could be our best long term prospect, was a little underwhelming in the Flegg GF off the bench but he has something about him. Riley Smith has been talked up, but I’m not convinced.

Reading between the lines, I’m of the opinion that Staines in on AT LEAST $400k per season, hence the lack of interest.

Also although he didn’t have a great game on Sunday, Sivo is a far better winger than Staines, c’mon.

Unfortunately neither potential 9 is a complete package like Api was. The best we can hope for is that they improve at least one of their current areas of deficiency from a C grade to a B grade fairly quickly

Kenny:
Running game: C
Passing game: C
Defensive game: A

Luke
Running game: A
Passing Game: C
Defensive Game: C

Smug Panther

First Grade

Reading between the lines, I’m of the opinion that Staines in on AT LEAST $400k per season, hence the lack of interest.

Also although he didn’t have a great game on Sunday, Sivo is a far better winger than Staines, c’mon.
Sivo is a peaheart

Pomoz

Bench

Well, he is bigger and stronger and makes more tackle breaks. But he is slower, has worse hands under the high ball, makes worse defensive decisions and is lazier. He averages less metres per game than Charlie, even though his thighs weigh more than Charlie.

Charlie is still improving and has upside and offers cover for fullback.

Far better?.. ..

Unfortunately neither potential 9 is a complete package like Api was. The best we can hope for is that they improve at least one of their current areas of deficiency from a C grade to a B grade fairly quickly

Kenny:
Running game: C
Passing game: C
Defensive game: A

Luke
Running game: A
Passing Game: C
Defensive Game: C

Luke's short passing isn't too bad, he can throw a nice sharp pass. The service from dummy half where he has to pass to a runner or to a waiting half can be a bit rough.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Well, he is bigger and stronger and makes more tackle breaks. But he is slower, has worse hands under the high ball, makes worse defensive decisions and is lazier. He averages less metres per game than Charlie, even though his thighs weigh more than Charlie.

Charlie is still improving and has upside and offers cover for fullback.

Far better?.. ..
Staines isn't cover for fullback, he IS a fullback

Kilkenny

Coach
Staines isn't cover for fullback, he IS a fullback
Well he probably is a fullback, not an NRL quality fullback, if you compare him to the other 15 current NRL fullbacks.

Not sure where he would rank, but suffice to say, probably not high on the rankings list, if your club is serious about mounting a challenge for the premiership.

I am thrilled Charlie Staines got his premiership medal, deservedly so, but at the same time sadly he is surplus to requirement’s that is just the sad reality of the salary cap.