What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

oldmancraigy

Coach
Better resources maybe???

What actually happened was that between the end of the regular season and the GF, Newcastle became a bigger club.

A bit like this season. We were obviously the 4th biggest club at seasons end. But our players improved to be the 2nd most talented squad and we are now the 2nd biggest club

Points differential something something

TheParraboy

Staff member
Did we choke in 2001 because we had one of the goat points differentials or were Newcastle just too talented?

I reckon this played a part

810pm kick off - First ever night grand final

To expand on that. Parra only had day semi finals games, both at 2pm !!
Knights finals games were a lot later 5.30pm & 730pm. Both had the week off

Further more on that, the last round of games (rd26). Parra played at 2pm (v Roosters) Knights at 530pm (vs penrith) .

So for 6 weeks. Parra played 2pm games only. Then the biggest game of the year is at 810pm. Knights more aclimiatised . Would have had some sort of affect to how both sides performed in the first half. How much more , have to call in the sports science people

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon this played a part

810pm kick off - First ever night grand final

To expand on that. Parra only had day semi finals games, both at 2pm !!
Knights finals games were a lot later 5.30pm & 730pm. Both had the week off

Further more on that, the last round of games (rd26). Parra played at 2pm (v Roosters) Knights at 530pm (vs penrith) .

So for 6 weeks. Parra played 2pm games only. Then the biggest game of the year is at 810pm. Knights more aclimiatised . Would have had some sort of affect to how both sides performed in the first half. How much more , have to call in the sports science people
I think the Knights just had more big game experience.

But look at it this way, if our chance of winning was greater than zero (whether this is true is untestable so for practical purposes it’s just a matter of opinion) then we might’ve just been unlucky on the day. Maybe enough senior players woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to shit themselves.

That said, the first half tells me our chance of winning was far less than 50%. Personally I blame the leaders in the team, and as for Smith, he had a history of driving strong leaders out of clubs he was at. But also that team had no right setting records on talent alone. I think Smith’s brilliance had them overachieving all year until the final game.

hindy111

Post Whore

But look at it this way, if our chance of winning was greater than zero (whether this is true is untestable so for practical purposes it’s just a matter of opinion) then we might’ve just been unlucky on the day. Maybe enough senior players woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to shit themselves.

That said, the first half tells me our chance of winning was far less than 50%. Personally I blame the leaders in the team, and as for Smith, he had a history of driving strong leaders out of clubs he was at. But also that team had no right setting records on talent alone. I think Smith’s brilliance had them overachieving all year until the final game.

Had Ryan out the ball down we win. That is what analed us.
We choked.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Same leaders disposed of the premiers the week before (at 2pm), who also had a lot of big game experience.

We just looked like a deer in headlights that first half. Wether is was GF nerves (probably), later start, leaders , Smith etc...Maybe a little of all of it