What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

the phantom menace

First Grade
We're seeing more and more of this... and I suspect there's a whole lot more to come too as these guys age.

I'm told head gear apparently isn't any good for preventing concussion... but isn't there something the league could do to prevent this type of future damage?

If you had a school aged kid these days, you'd be in two minds at letting them grow up to play the full version of the game.

Avenger

Immortal
It’s going to get to the stage where they will ban more than 2 in a tackle even though there is no evidence that it will do anything.

hindy111

Post Whore
We're seeing more and more of this... and I suspect there's a whole lot more to come too as these guys age.

I'm told head gear apparently isn't any good for preventing concussion... but isn't there something the league could do to prevent this type of future damage?

If you had a school aged kid these days, you'd be in two minds at letting them grow up to play the full version of the game.

Yes as families get wealthier and more educated these sports will slowly die. I think its only time before a law suit against the NRL.
I think we need to do something for guys like Mario Fenech. Unsure if you make 5% of ticket sales to them or have donation boxes at games or 1% of players wages is contributed for these past players who need a hand. Without them current players wouldn't be getting the big pay days.

The majority of concussions are caused by defenders getting their head in the wrong position whilst bending over to make the tackle.

The concussions from head high tackles are pretty easy to eradicate if the penalties for hitting someone in the head are harsher.
Yeah that just occurred to me. We're probably screwed. 😟

Pazza

First Grade
its just going to be one of those things, we can minimise risk but like prize fighting, extreme sports etc there is always going to be an element of danger to playing RL. That is a big part of the appeal right? or we'd all be soccer fans....

its just going to be one of those things, we can minimise risk but like prize fighting, extreme sports etc there is always going to be an element of danger to playing RL. That is a big part of the appeal right? or we'd all be soccer fans....
It'll get swallowed up by AFL unless they can show there's no significant difference in risk.

Jack Deth

Juniors
I would reduce the distance between the players.. that could be a good start.

I'm not convinced that it's just contact with the head that is causing this. I read that running into each other is akin to a 30mph crash. Due to the size, fitness, muscle mass, player speed and the speed the game is played at.

The brain is bouncing inside the skull with the type of collision.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I would reduce the distance between the players.. that could be a good start.

I'm not convinced that it's just contact with the head that is causing this. I read that running into each other is akin to a 30mph crash. Due to the size, fitness, muscle mass, player speed and the speed the game is played at.

The brain is bouncing inside the skull with the type of collision.
Hit ups off kick offs may present an issue.