What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Grand Final. Penrith v Parramatta

Original Name

Juniors
This season was weird in term of how strong it was. For mine, the Sharks and the Cowboys were two of the weakest top 4 teams there has been in a long time (maybe since us in 2010)
The 4-8 were really strong though. Raiders playing the way they dusted Storm in week 1 were pretty dangerous and they came 8th. Just played their gf in week one so couldn't back it up.

Whino

Bench
Quirky stats time.

1st FG premiership in an even number year. 91,03,21,22.

4 Minor Premierships. 3 converted to Titles.

91,03, and 21 contained a player in the backline named Paul.
Smith, Whatuira, and Momirovski.
Sadly that streak is over.

91: HB and Captain.
Dally M second -rower of the year. Cartwright.
A hooker that had played for the Blues. Simmons.

03: HB and Captain.
Dally M not awarded. Tony Puletua named one of David Middleton's Second-Rower of the year.
A hooker that had played for the Blues. Priddis.

21: HB and Co-Captain.
Dally M Second-Rower of the year Kikau.
A hooker that does play for the Blues. Api.

22: HB and Co-Captain
Dally M Second-Rower of the year
Kikau.

3 out of 4 titles have a Father and son combination.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
I'd almost give that a 3.5 rating considering Gus and Brandy's relationship. I cant recall if it was in 5 Star Brandy or Good as Gould, but from reading whichever it was there was definite father/son vibe between the pair.
You could say the same with Gould and Fittler.
John Cartwright and Gould were close too.

BxTom

Bench
Quirky stats time.

1st FG premiership in an even number year. 91,03,21,22.

4 Minor Premierships. 3 converted to Titles.

91,03, and 21 contained a player in the backline named Paul.
Smith, Whatuira, and Momirovski.
Sadly that streak is over.

91: HB and Captain.
Dally M second -rower of the year. Cartwright.
A hooker that had played for the Blues. Simmons.

03: HB and Captain.
Dally M not awarded. Tony Puletua named one of David Middleton's Second-Rower of the year.
A hooker that had played for the Blues. Priddis.

21: HB and Co-Captain.
Dally M Second-Rower of the year Kikau.

22: HB and Co-Captain
Dally M Second-Rower of the year
Kikau.

3 out of 4 titles have a Father and son combination.
Another quirky thing between '03 and 22. The linesman near the Edwards tackle in the GF is the son of the linesman near the Sattler tackle.

WestyLife

First Grade
I reckon our form with SOS and Salmon in the halves, We still would of won even if that was the side across the finals. We were so far ahead and is good to end the season like it should of

I'm convinced everyone knew this but wanted to make it seem closer because it's not particularly romantic when you're so far ahead of the competition.

maple_69

Bench
I’d thought until a month ago that we’d probably fall back to the group of teams chasing us and be in a real dog fight for the title again next year without Api (mostly) and Kikau. The way they just swanned through the finals and the whole season, really highlighted how far ahead we are as a first grade unit. Throw in utter domination across the grades and it’s hard to imagine another team having the spine, supporting firepower and cohesiveness/conditioning to compete consistently unless we cop massive injuries.

I wonder what rule changes we’ll see to curtail our dominance. Crack 3-4 titles in 6 years and everyone will be out looking for a way to get a break. Kick blockers will be the first target. Maybe Dyl isn’t allowed a pre-season? Something to limit our driving gang tackles?

EppingEel

Juniors
Have you guys signed anyone apart from garner yet, or are you just going to fill the gaps with your juniors?

Pomoz

Bench
Have you guys signed anyone apart from garner yet, or are you just going to fill the gaps with your juniors?
Zac Hosking from the Broncos and I believe they are looking for a hooker as backup for Kenny and Luke. Luke hasn't played a season of first grade before and it's a tough position on the body. As far as I'm aware, that's it. We have a few players getting close to being first grade ready and new signings just block their opportunities.

Without doubt, the most important change to development at the Panthers is the willingness to put juniors into the team for a spell so they can learn. Once they start to struggle, back down the grades they go and this process is repeated at every level. They learn what the next level is like, what training and discipline you need for the next level. I think it is especially important for our Pacific Islander heritage players. They have typically progressed through junior grades with a physical advantage over caucasian heritage players who tend to physically mature later and they can get lazy thinking they will always be bigger and stronger than the other players. Then you play against adults and realise that your physical gifts don't make you exceptional any more and somebody like Radley or Murray are likely to cut you in half in a tackle and somebody like NAS or Burgess are likely to smash you into the middle of next week

This year we had the extraordinary circumstance where the NSW cup semi final was played by a team almost full of Jersey Flegg players because First Grade was nearly 100% NSW cup. Of course that also meant SG Ball needed players from Harold Matthews and so on. As soon as the NSW Cup players were back, they were all dropped back down again.

This whole process turns to crap if you start buying too many players outside the club. That said, sometimes you need to shore up certain positions, hooker is our latest weakness. Sometimes you need some experience on the field too. That's why Wallace and Soward were added to help Cleary learn his trade. As the Titans discovered last year, rookie halves will always struggle.

You can thank us later for Hopkins. He has had 9 first grade games and is a great player. If Yeo wasn't here, I am sure he would be a regular first grader.