What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Burgess is back
Danny Weidler
SMH
30 October 2022

It’s a significant week for the Rabbitohs. One of their favourite sons, Sam Burgess, makes his long-awaited return to the fold as an assistant coach. Burgess is going to be a valuable assistant to Jason Demitriou and will help provide even more steel to the Souths set-up.

Burgess has been through a personal hell in recent years but appears to be coming through the other side following the sad breakdown of his marriage and then a media campaign to destroy him publicly and privately.

As a result of that campaign and some poor decisions on his part, Burgess has barely seen his kids in recent years. But he posted some lovely shots of them together on Instagram during the week.

The Souths coaching unit was already impressive, with John Morris and Ben Hornby helping Demitriou, but now it’s one of the strongest in the NRL.

callmack1

Staff member
Finally caught up on everything after a busy weekend and its fantastic news to hear about Trell, Cody and Cooky!! Has just made my day!

Firstly, Trell on a huge deal is the big one. Through til the end of 2027 is huge! Apparently, it'll be the longest contract he's ever signed. That's a testament to not only the club and where we're headed, but to Latrell himself too. You don't need me to tell you how huge Trell's re-signing is for the club. I will say though that with him on our roster, I'd be confident of being competitive for the next five years, he's that big of a mega star.

Cody signing on for two years is great too! I'm confident that he can maintain his crafty form for three more years and that is hopefully nothing but good news for us. We all know how pivotal this one is as Cody is our man in attack, without him, we'd be screwed. However, two years is not too long so it lowers the element of risk if Cody does start to slow down. What's more, it also means Lachy has time to develop alongside the veteran for the next three years and by the time Cody retires, Lachy will hopefully be more than capable of stepping up and leading the side as the senior half. Hopefully anyway. Then, within this three-year period, we have time to develop someone, sign someone, or come up with a plan to replace Cody.

I'm also happy with Cooky re-signing for two years for similar reasons to Cody. Hooker isn't a position you can muck around with in the NRL, so this deal gives us ample time to sort through the succession plan with Pete and start to bring him through, whilst still remaining strong in that position and lowering the risk if things don't work out.

Look, either way, this is either going to be a masterstroke or a failure, but I struggle to see how this is not good news right now. In fact, I think it's great news! Our Premiership window is open. This is Cody and Cookie's last chance for glory, and they know it. Let's hope they can get it done sometime in the next three years.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Finally caught up on everything after a busy weekend and its fantastic news to hear about Trell, Cody and Cooky!! Has just made my day!

Firstly, Trell on a huge deal is the big one. Through til the end of 2017 is huge! Apparently, it'll be the longest contract he's ever signed. That's a testament to not only the club and where we're headed, but to Latrell himself too. You don't need me to tell you how huge Trell's re-signing is for the club. I will say though that with him on our roster, I'd be confident of being competitive for the next five years, he's that big of a mega star.

Cody signing on for two years is great too! I'm confident that he can maintain his crafty form for three more years and that is hopefully nothing but good news for us. We all know how pivotal this one is as Cody is our man in attack, without him, we'd be screwed. However, two years is not too long so it lowers the element of risk if Cody does start to slow down. What's more, it also means Lachy has time to develop alongside the veteran for the next three years and by the time Cody retires, Lachy will hopefully be more than capable of stepping up and leading the side as the senior half. Hopefully anyway. Then, within this three-year period, we have time to develop someone, sign someone, or come up with a plan to replace Cody.

I'm also happy with Cooky re-signing for two years for similar reasons to Cody. Hooker isn't a position you can muck around with in the NRL, so this deal gives us ample time to sort through the succession plan with Pete and start to bring him through, whilst still remaining strong in that position and lowering the risk if things don't work out.

Look, either way, this is either going to be a masterstroke or a failure, but I struggle to see how this is not good news right now. In fact, I think it's great news! Our Premiership window is open. This is Cody and Cookie's last chance for glory, and they know it. Let's hope they can get it done sometime in the next three years.
None of what ricio said has been verified

handyman2190

Bench
NRL faces scheduling nightmare with stadiums unavailable for 57 DAYS during FIFA World Cup: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/0541eff1c3d58085aa449ad93849de91

I'm well aware of that but I do think it will happen.

Just giving my thoughts at this current time.
I dont like it at all,what this has done is give that weasel bennet a smogasboard and there are a few desperate clubs that only money will get them players,and they will throw it around

callmack1

Staff member
NRL considers introducing a new Pre-Season competition for 2023: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...son-competition-for-2023-20221102-p5buuc.html

What does everyone think of this? I'd be keen but I struggle to see how it can be anything but a Nines comp.

In other news from Zero Tackle,

NRL clubs assembling an executive dream team for private CBA meeting

As negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) continue to stall, frustrated NRL club executives are preparing to try and bypass CEO Andrew Abdo and complete terms directly with ARL chairman Peter V'Landys.

The previous CBA expired on the 31st of October and the failure to come to terms on a new agreement has left clubs in the dark about the NRL salary cap, revenue shares, player payments, minimum wages, support for retired and past players and investment in the NRLW.

Newscorp reports that a powerful assembly of influential club chairmen and CEOs is set for a private Zoom meeting with V'Landys this morning to resolve the stalemate.

Roosters, Storm and Brisbane chairmen Nick Politis, Matt Tripp and Karl Morris as well as Raiders, Rabbitohs and Panthers CEOs Don Furner, Blake Solly and Brian Fletcher are all expected to be a part of the discussion.

With talks reaching a standstill with the NRL CEO, an anonymous source close to the clubs stated, “We've gone as far as we can with Andrew (Abdo); somebody has to get to Peter (V'Landys). The clubs think Andrew can't do any more with the finances unless Peter intervenes.”

Clubs are searching for an additional $20 million as part of the new CBA a sum that NRL executives are hesitant to agree to.

“We have budgets to complete and players to sign so we need this to be done ASAP,” Panthers CEO, Brian Fletcher told Newscorp.

“You'd think it was a matter that needed a bit of urgency but it doesn't seem to be getting that. It would be nice to know where we're going.”

Clubs are hoping negotiations will be complete by the end of the week as Abdo and V'Landys prepare to depart the country to attend the Rugby League World Cup in England.

callmack1

Staff member
David Fifita's $1.2m contract set to be slashed as four-club battle heats up for star's signature: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/de8c0cbae827d27cce6f68ca785327a5

So basically, the rumor linking us to Fifita is nothing at this stage. No substance behind it whatsoever. It's just a reporter giving his opinion and saying, "I think Souths will make a play." So, nothing to get excited about at this stage.

If it was to lead to more and the club were genuinely interested, I'd be for it at the right price. He's been inconsistent at the Titans but feel like he could really thrive in a system like ours. No doubt on his day he is a superstar, He's just not consistent enough at this stage. So, signing him would be a risk.

But just imagine him, in form, running off Cody and Trell! That would be something to savor.

I don't think it will ever happen but it's an interesting topic.

Latest posts