What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

SEAT 1A

Bench
Your right S1A , the last couple of seasons the Dragons could had just made the semifinals , as there were matches that they should had won , but simply never turned up on the day to do so .

One which springs to mind is the Broncos game where they had numerous players out to SOO duties or injured . They were there for the taking , yet our boys just couldn’t get their act together and played as a team without any cohesion whatsoever as the baby broncs put us through the cleaners .

Unforgivable that was , and in so many matches .
If I was Griffin I would get the entire playing group together and tell them to forget about the muck in the press and pass disappointments and the need to bond into one united playing group , etc. ect. etc.

Yes. Hopefully, we will see the good Hook next year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes. Hopefully, we will see the good Hook next year.
Even after 2 “ horriblulius anus “ ( that being a royal quotation ) seasons , I still believe that the man is a better coach then he has shown .

Even allowing for his atrocious selection decisions - which were his and only his - I feel we have not seen the best of him .

However , as said earlier , he must become a hard taskmaster and lay the law down to the players early on , as that is the only way forward for the team and himself .

Last edited:

smi962

First Grade
What metric are you using for that? Clearly we've won more games under Hook so far than under McGregor's last two seasons in charge so how are we worse?

The things you've mentioned (playing style, identity and heart) are all subjective and are not tangible in any sense.
Look at our for and against, it was atrocious. Second worse defence in the competition for a coach who had come in to improve that aspect. We just won a few more close games than in previous seasons which equates to playing the margins. We lose those games and we are near the bottom, which could easily happen if we played that season again. We are not building anything up to this point.

dragonreddy

Juniors
What on GODS earth is griffin going to do different in 23 to what his done in 22,21? It’s another waste of a year looming picking his favourite pensioners and blocking the development of young juniors
You are 100% ,he isn't an innovative type coach, he is a my way or the highway obstinate bloke who doesn't like any ideas from other people either .
This is one of the reasons Phil Gould got rid of him'
A Leopard doesn't change it's spots .

71saintsimon

Juniors
You are 100% ,he isn't an innovative type coach, he is a my way or the highway obstinate bloke who doesn't like any ideas from other people either .
This is one of the reasons Phil Gould got rid of him'
A Leopard doesn't change it's spots .
Really got know idea why they are persevering with griffin it’s absolute insanity, they should be looking at Flanagan or Hasler immediately

SEAT 1A

Bench
Even after 2 “ horriblulius anus “ ( that being a royal quotation ) seasons , I still believe that the man is a better coach then he has shown .

Even allowing for his atrocious selection decisions - which were his and only his - I feel that he must become a hard taskmaster and lay the law down to the players early on , as that is the only way forward for the team and himself .

I really hope he becomes hands off next year and lay down the law via the AC's.

Dragon David

First Grade
You could be right dragon.
He just isn't that type of bloke ,he is not a flexible thinker ,the Assistant Coaches are just a commodity he has to tolerate, but also gives him an option to throw under the bus when success isn't forthcoming.....
Or on the other hand, if the new assistants get us firing, then Hook will take all the praise.

Gareth67

First Grade
gareth has been teaching me his deep thinking method, gee it hurts
What the feck ! I have you know that I was taught by some of the best minds of the 19th - or was that the 20th century ? whatever , you know what I mean and the golden rule was - ‘ to think outside of the circle ‘ - or was that the square ?

However the point being was , to always look at a problem from all angles , or was that sides ? whatever , you know what I mean - don’t you , you should , as it is a clear as mud to me ! 🤔

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
So what does Hook need to do to get an extension? We’ve missed the 8 last two years, our culture is as bad as it’s ever been, we are wooden spoon favourites coming into his last contract year.
For me he’d need to make second week of finals this year. That would show that he’s building something and deserves another couple of years. Anything less than that and I’d let him go.
If we start poorly, best to terminate his contract early and go with an interim head coach for most of 2023.

Dragon David

First Grade
So what does Hook need to do to get an extension? We’ve missed the 8 last two years, our culture is as bad as it’s ever been, we are wooden spoon favourites coming into his last contract year.
For me he’d need to make second week of finals this year. That would show that he’s building something and deserves another couple of years. Anything less than that and I’d let him go.
If we start poorly, best to terminate his contract early and go with an interim head coach for most of 2023.
Hook would need to win at least 8 out of 10 initial games to be given any consideration of his contract being extended. Nothing much has been said by anyone about him and he himself has said diddly squat so far.

Leaving any decision too late into 2023 will make things harder for any new head coach to work on his staff requirements and the squad of players he will need.

Knowing the people running the Dragons though they will balls it up again by announcing Hook's extension after winning 4 earlier games and then crashing to come last thereafter.

Latest posts