What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
From the same article.

" NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo points out that almost all sporting administrations have operating expenses in the 40 percent range, compared to the NRL’s 25 percent. He says the planned level of expenditure over the next five years locks his administration into being the leanest of all the codes.
Furthermore, as it was in 2019, a sizeable proportion of the administration’s expenses are what is called “cost of goods sold” - that is, the expenses involved in delivering revenue. As revenue grows, so does the cost of growing it.

The distributable revenue in the last year of the old NRL administration was $504.1m, meaning Abdo’s office has grown revenue by $70m with decreased expenditure. But this has not placated his opponents."

Seems Abdo has been pulling his weight.

He probably has. Nevertheless, after the bungling of the TV deal though they were always going to go after somebody’s head.

Wb1234

Referee
Calm down it won’t happen. Somebody’s head will be on the chopping block (probably the wrong head) and then it will be resolved
Nah abdo ain’t getting canned

fletcher can stand down if he wants he’s been useless taking over at Penrith

idiots want to try and run the game and they can’t even run their clubs properly

Colk

First Grade
Nah abdo ain’t getting canned

fletcher can stand down if he wants he’s been useless taking over at Penrith

idiots want to try and run the game and they can’t even run their clubs properly

I think somebody is a chance to get canned. If they for example flat out refuse to deal with him (let’s say hypothetically) then the ARLC would have to let him go to get the negotiations done.

Now, that’s unfair but these things can definitely happen.

Iamback

Coach
Even the clubs don`t know the details. Ming boggling.

Given that broadcasting revenue historically represents about two-thirds of the income to the central administration and, with a stalemate reached in negotiations, both stakeholders are demanding more detail around the seven-year pay-TV deal ARLC chair Peter V’landys negotiated with Foxtel during the Covid pandemic.

It’s what could be called an “undisclosed asset” in the negotiations. V’landys has always maintained the secrecy around the Foxtel deal becomes irrelevant when the clubs and players will receive record deals and add to it when the NRL goes back to broadcasters for the 2028 contract.

Seems like V`landy`s & co. are getting plenty of grief over the fumbleball broadcast deal as well.

Atleast it will all come out, That is the one positive

Diesel

Referee
Flectcher is calling Souths & Penrith the strong clubs yet they’re the ones firing up the most. I realise they’re the spokespeople for the other clubs but it seems like hot air.
Who are the weak clubs he’s speaking of?

Wb1234

Referee
I think somebody is a chance to get canned. If they for example flat out refuse to deal with him (let’s say hypothetically) then the ARLC would have to let him go to get the negotiations done.

Now, that’s unfair but these things can definitely happen.
Why ? It would mean the clubs run the game

that happens and the game is stuffed

it’s vlandys job to not be a doormat for them

Wb1234

Referee
I’m not saying that they should or that it is right but in power plays or negotiations somebody is always going to be the loser.
Clubs are getting their five million over the cap

crying like babies worked

they aren’t going to the World Cup and instead abdo and vlanyds will sort this out now

imagine complaining when you’ve never received the kind of funding ever before in the games history

someone should show him what a season ticket looks like and maybe he can try selling some of those instead of bludging off the arlc

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The whole thing just reeks of a bunch of small time rent seekers whose best chance of growing their revenue is getting another handout.
Some NRL clubs must be shit-scared of one-city teams eventually usurping them and them going the way of the dodo, or maybe the critically endangered North Sydney Bear.

Colk

First Grade

they aren’t going to the World Cup and instead abdo and vlanyds will sort this out now

imagine complaining when you’ve never received the kind of funding ever before in the games history

someone should show him what a season ticket looks like and maybe he can try selling some of those instead of bludging off the arlc

Again I’m not disagreeing with you. The players and clubs are way out of line here. Not just in terms of the amount of money they receive in the cap and in grants but just in regards to the conditions.

I remember listening to Clint Newtown on SEN stating that they wouldn’t even consider a transfer window - that essentially players needed more than 12 months to negotiate a contract and that such a window was a restriction of their rights. This doesn’t just not happen in any other sport, it also doesn’t happen in any other workplace - you and I can’t negotiate where we are going to work more than 12 months in advance whilst still working in our current workplace in the interim. It’s ridiculous. Yet, most importantly, what it did show was if they can’t make concessions on something as reasonable as that how are they going to make concessions on anything else.

Furthermore, considering V’Landys and Abdo’s negotiation history - this will be the third example of bad negotiations they have been involved in - then I don’t hold out much hope that they won’t just cave in. If I were a player and I saw how they negotiated the TV deal and the stadiums, then I’d be confident of winning this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From the same article.

" NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo points out that almost all sporting administrations have operating expenses in the 40 percent range, compared to the NRL’s 25 percent. He says the planned level of expenditure over the next five years locks his administration into being the leanest of all the codes.
Furthermore, as it was in 2019, a sizeable proportion of the administration’s expenses are what is called “cost of goods sold” - that is, the expenses involved in delivering revenue. As revenue grows, so does the cost of growing it.

We
The distributable revenue in the last year of the old NRL administration was $504.1m, meaning Abdo’s office has grown revenue by $70m with decreased expenditure. But this has not placated his opponents."

Seems Abdo has been pulling his weight.
It’d be very interesting to know EXACTLY what they are including and excluding in this! That’s not what’s showing in the 2021 annual report.

in the annual report they have a revenue of $570mill and funds for distribution of $384mill or 66% of revenue leaving 34% operating expenses, not 25% as claimed. I guess things like putting the digital Dept in the bin despite all the investment made has reduced operating expenses! The revenue increase is also a furphy. The revenue difference between 2021 and 2019 was $28mill, of which nearly all of it was due to holding a second state of origin ont hat reporting year. Maybe it’s gone up this yearl they were claiming $600mill which will be interesting To see where from.

2019 it was 38% operating costs as % of revenue.

Iamback

Coach
It is a sensationalist news story. There might be a possibility but it is an extremely remote possibility

No chance it happens, Take the CoE funding the clubs got. That would be linked to competing in the NRL. Jersey deals. So on

Clubs just wanted NRL's attention, So they contacted the biggest bullshitter. This will be sorted within a week.

The players on the other hand, That will drag out until who knows when

Iamback

Coach

Remember the discussion in the PVL thread? On revenue etc?

In that article PVL said clubs were getting $5m over the cap, So it has long been in agreement weeks ago

The only known is the cap

Perth Red

Post Whore
No chance it happens, Take the CoE funding the clubs got. That would be linked to competing in the NRL. Jersey deals. So on

Clubs just wanted NRL's attention, So they contacted the biggest bullshitter. This will be sorted within a week.

The players on the other hand, That will drag out until who knows when
They threaten this bs everytime a deal comes round. It’s why the nrl has for years been trying to get them on to perpetual license agreements but has continually failed. The clubs know it’s the only threat they’ve got.
Maybe nrl should put the wind up them and say its considering reviewing all licenses with some new kpis attached to them!