What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Colk

First Grade
A seat on the commission seems unlikely. Worth a crack asking for it I suppose. Unlikely to happen.

The other things like having a say on rule changes, workplace policies, season structure and length of holidays etc seems pretty reasonable to me.

Considering the way the codes been run since covid - arbitrary rule changes and non disclosure of commercial deals and finances, the players demands (besides the seat on the Commission) seems pretty reasonable.

Player demands also seem to reflect a high level of scepticism, if not distrust, of current administration and its performance. All of which is perfectly reasonable in light of the botched TV deals with foxtel and nine.

I agree with that part being reasonable, however there are other demands that are not

Each and every club shouldn’t be getting five million over the cap. That’s money that should and could be better used elsewhere.

Players also need to concede on other points like transfer windows etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The
Because the agreement is grant = 130℅ of salary cap

So if cap goes up to $11.5 mil grant should be $15 mil

But you need to overlay the NRLW over this

And the $5 mil football operations cap
last agreement was 130% it wasn’t set in stone forever more, just for the 2017 5 year agreement.
Besides 130% of 11.5mill is only 14.95mill. What they are asking for is 144% of a 11.5mill cap!

apparently they are now all profitable so why do they need another $1.5mill over what they’ve been getting last 2 years? That’s $25mill that could be used to grow the game Or increase participation.

has there been any word yet if the arlc are going to put back the missing community, development and state funding they
Slashed to realise last years profit?

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
assuming a cap of 11.5 million then the clubs would be entitled to 3.45 million in funding above that (30 percent)

they are clawing back an extra 1.5 million per club on top of this

it’s ridiculous

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Giving $5m per annum to seventeen clubs to spend on football operations equates to $85m.

$45m will go towards propping up clubs in Sydney.

I thought Sydney was the largest city with the biggest business district in Australia and the home of rugby league?

🤔

That's what I keep hearing on here!

So why does the game need to waste $45m propping up Sydney's clubs?

Could it be that Sydney's commercial sector isn't big enough to support nine clubs, or does it just not give enough of a f**k about rugby league to support them?

If this goes through then Cronulla and Canterbury will get more from the ARLC than sponsorship and hospitality!

The game must be poorly supported if we need to spend so much money on clubs from heartland areas we have nothing left to fund expansion into new markets.

Swans generated $15m from sponsorship and hospitality in 2021. Bulldogs and Sharks got just $3.6m and $4m.

When are people going to wake up and accept that the Sydney market cannot support nine clubs?

Our game is throwing money down the drain keeping unviable clubs alive in Sydney. The result is less money going towards expansion and junior football. The clubs it's propping up aren't growing in size and are losing ground to our main rival. This will come back to bite us on the arse because other sports are growing in all markets.
Sharks didn’t play “at home” in 2021 yet you keep brining it up. Will you ever get over it that the NRL can’t and won’t get rid of clubs. Especially Sydney ones. Just drop it mate.

Colk

First Grade

Look what I just found on twitter lol

So 122 people then cool. The people watching it from the States are most likely expats and Australian and New Zealand expats could and would be living anywhere and everywhere I the world. There are plenty of Aussies living in Europe and Asia for example.

If you were to pick a sport outside of the sports already known there m that could become even slightly niche in America it would be cricket. That’s only because there is something like 20 odd million people of South Asian descent living there.

Last edited:
I’d like to know the clubs justification. I mean the club grant has gone from $7.5mill (below the cap) to $13mill ($3mill over cap) in a short space of time and they now want it to go to $5mill over cap? Why? So they can pay out more coaches mid contract?
The clubs bullied Grant into giving them $3m over. They're just doing the same this time round.

Ordinarily Vlandys would fight it but his lack of transparency regarding revenue is gonna come back and bite him.

Penrith don't have much drawing power. They're an unpopular club with a small fanbase. This year's GF was the lowest drawing in history.

If V'landys sticks to his guns and kicks them out after 2023 then we're back to a 16 team competition and don't lose many fans. It also gives the Tigers and Bulldogs a chance to grow.

Storm80

Juniors
I agree with that part being reasonable, however there are other demands that are not

Each and every club shouldn’t be getting five million over the cap. That’s money that should and could be better used elsewhere.

Players also need to concede on other points like transfer windows etc.
Just gone over the AFL CBA re: RLPA request to sit on the Commission.

I’ve not been able to find a copy of current NRL CBA online. So hard to confirm, but I’ve a feeling RLPA may be requesting a similar (if not the same) rights AFLPA has, which is to be invited, from time to time, to Commission meetings and make submissions etc.

Seems to me all RLPA and players want is the exact same rights as their AFL counterparts.

In light of this:

1. Could it be that the NRL administration is planning on some good old fashion “Union” bashing in the press to avoid having to give players the same rights as AFL players?

2. Should NRL administration just pull its head in and give the players the same rights AFL players and allow for players to hold the administration accountable?

If all the RLPA want is what AFLPA got, time to point the finger of blame where it’s deserved for this CBA negotiation delay and farce.

This is such a no brainer and an easy negotiation that should have been dealt with months ago. “Oh you just want exactly what AFL players and their union get in their CBA, sure no worries”.

The AFL appear to deal with their players and union in a much more fair and inclusive way.

Why wouldn’t NRL administration want to do the same??

Haha I think we all know the answer to that

NRL clubs and players appear to finally be smelling the stench wafting out of NRL HQ I been perpetually whinging about on here

Attachments

• 191DEA6B-D4DD-449F-8A84-747224A7D5FA.jpeg
    191DEA6B-D4DD-449F-8A84-747224A7D5FA.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 0393B20C-6D1C-407E-B04A-6E1D72F20A61.jpeg
    0393B20C-6D1C-407E-B04A-6E1D72F20A61.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The clubs bullied Grant into giving them $3m over. They're just doing the same this time round.

Ordinarily Vlandys would fight it but his lack of transparency regarding revenue is gonna come back and bite him.
There was some level of justification before as they are crap at their jobs and losing money. Now they are allegedly profitable So what’s the justification this time around?

Colk

First Grade
Just gone over the AFL CBA re: RLPA request to sit on the Commission.

I’ve not been able to find a copy of current NRL CBA online. So hard to confirm, but I’ve a feeling RLPA may be requesting a similar (if not the same) rights AFLPA has, which is to be invited, from time to time, to Commission meetings and make submissions etc.

Seems to me all RLPA and players want is the exact same rights as their AFL counterparts.

In light of this:

1. Could it be that the NRL administration is planning on some good old fashion “Union” bashing in the press to avoid having to give players the same rights as AFL players?

2. Should NRL administration just pull its head in and give the players the same rights AFL players and allow for players to hold the administration accountable?

If all the RLPA want is what AFLPA got, time to point the finger of blame where it’s deserved for this CBA negotiation delay and farce.

This is such a no brainer and an easy negotiation that should have been dealt with months ago. “Oh you just want exactly what AFL players and their union get in their CBA, sure no worries”.

The AFL appear to deal with their players and union in a much more fair and inclusive way.

Why wouldn’t NRL administration want to do the same??

Haha I think we all know the answer to that

NRL clubs and players appear to finally be smelling the stench wafting out of NRL HQ I been perpetually whinging about on here

True to an extent but fumbleball players have given a fair degree of concessions. They don’t have free agency for one and that is a really significant concession above and beyond anything that Rugby league players have done.

If the RLPA want these things then they have to give some concessions whether that be in the form of transfer window or something similar or a reduced cap. That’s the whole point of a negotiation.

Storm80

Juniors
True to an extent but fumbleball players have given a fair degree of concessions. They don’t have free agency for one and that is a really significant concession above and beyond anything that Rugby league players have done.

If the RLPA want these things then they have to give some concessions whether that be in the form of transfer window or something similar or a reduced cap. That’s the whole point of a negotiation.
Reduced cap and salary during the Covid years not enough?

The botched renegotiations with nine and Foxtel costing the players millions not enough?

As for the proposed transfer window, what are the NRL offering the players in return for changing the current rules?

Will the players obtain more money by accepting the terms of the proposed transfer windows?

From what I can tell NRL aren’t offering any incentive to players to want to amend the current transfer scheme.

It’s clearly in the players best interests to be able to negotiate future deals asap so they can plan their life for the next 5 or more years.

So what’s the sweetener for players to agree to new transfer rules?

Wb1234

Referee
O
So 122 people then

The botched renegotiations with nine and Foxtel costing the players millions not enough?

As for the proposed transfer window, what are the NRL offering the players in return for changing the current rules?

Will the players obtain more money by accepting the terms of the proposed transfer windows?

From what I can tell NRL aren’t offering any incentive to players to want to amend the current transfer scheme.

It’s clearly in the players best interests to be able to negotiate future deals asap so they can plan their life for the next 5 or more years.

Record salary cap

unlike afl rugby league players will have received most of the money they gave up due to covid whilst the afl can’t afford to do this

Colk

First Grade

Did you read my previous post or are you just on the warpath? I don’t like V’Landys either but this is not all his doing.

Firstly, they received their money back now they are wanting the same working conditions as fumbleball (which is well within their right). They haven’t lost anything yet

That is the sweetener, as well receiving more money. In order to achieve these working conditions and better pay, fumbleball and other sports essentially gave away their free agency rights.

From what I can see league players aren’t even willing to consider windows and that’s nowhere near as restrictive as trades is it?

Also no other sport or indeed industry negotiate their work more than 12 months in advance whilst working for their current employer. Go tell your current employer that you’ll be working with a competitor in 12 months time or tell your future employer that I won’t join you now but I’ll join you in 12 months time. It’s ludicrous.

In essence, they are arguing for a cap increase of over 20% (which is significant) as well as these improved working conditions - what are they conceding here?