What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 off season

PhilGould

Bench
Being extremely generous, anything less than 2 wins in the opening 6 rounds should put AOB right on the hot seat, and then Panthers-Cowboys-Eels leading into the bye probably finishes him off. Gives whoever takes over an extra week to prepare for their first game.

mozza91

Coach
Draw looks alright. Maybe because of the Dolphins coming in it seems like there’s a heap of shit teams (us included obviously). There’s a fair few winnable games that we’ll definitely lose.

Nuke

Staff member
I've been waiting since Round 2 1996 for Newcastle to return to Perth. And now it finally happens again in 2023! I'm very happy about that!

(For the record, I missed the 2020 Perth Nines, ironically, because I was in NSW that weekend. The Knights were playing 20mins from my house, and I was 4,000km away!)

ryan.a87

Juniors
Press conference with Adam Elliott up on knights socials….never seen an interview with the fella , but he comes across as genuinely excited to be here, not like the normal robotic responses you get from most players (totally understand some players are just not good at public speaking) , just refreshing to see someone with so much hope while wearing knights colours

I know his attitude will be different after our standard 2-7 win/loss ratio to start the season, but at least it’s something refreshing now

Apey

Staff member
Press conference with Adam Elliott up on knights socials….never seen an interview with the fella , but he comes across as genuinely excited to be here, not like the normal robotic responses you get from most players (totally understand some players are just not good at public speaking) , just refreshing to see someone with so much hope while wearing knights colours

I know his attitude will be different after our standard 2-7 win/loss ratio to start the season, but at least it’s something refreshing now
I think it helps his missus just won the comp with us, lol.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Being extremely generous, anything less than 2 wins in the opening 6 rounds should put AOB right on the hot seat, and then Panthers-Cowboys-Eels leading into the bye probably finishes him off. Gives whoever takes over an extra week to prepare for their first game.
Sounds about right. Hastings removes whatever excuses he had left. He clearly stated has they recruited Brooks he feels the season would have been different. Jackson will give him the best chance at keeping his job. Brooks would have sent him out the door without a shadow of a doubt.

PhilGould

Bench
The nib Newcastle Knights have today confirmed Jackson Hastings will join the club immediately, after agreeing to terms on a new three-year deal.

Hastings, 26, has played 63 NRL games after making his debut with the Sydney Roosters in 2014, along with 75 Super League appearances and four Test caps for Great Britain.

Director of Football Peter Parr believes the 2019 Super League Man of Steel brings a wide range of skills and experience.

“We are delighted to have Jackson secured,” Parr said.

“He compliments our playing roster and adds further depth to our halves, with the additional bonus of being a competent goal kicker.

“Jackson is at a stage of his career where he is coming into his prime and we believe his best years are ahead of him.”

The Knights have also agreed to immediately release front-rower David Klemmer from the final year of his current five-year contract, allowing him to take up a multi-year deal with another NRL club for next season.

Klemmer joined the Knights in 2019, going on to make 81 appearances in the red and blue jersey, including finals in 2020 and 2021.

On behalf of the Newcastle Knights and everyone in the local community, we would like to thank David for his significant contributions both on and off the field.

Jono078

Referee
Wonderful.

Today is significant. It gives me much more hope we can do something next year.

Interesting that Klemmer is basically a footnote there. He is a loss but it's a chance for Saifiti's to really step up and also Hetherington and Elliott should be able to share the workload and hopefully Croker and some other younger props can elevate their games.

The days of 60% conversion rates are finally over too!

Yosh

Coach
Wow... Finally some recruitment moves that makes sense. Finally got a competent half and goal kicker while offloading our expensive one dimensional front rower who we have ample cover for.

Should I start getting my hopes up?

This will make our prop rotation very interesting next year

Im not a fan of starting both Saifitis at once as it leaves us lacking punch and continuity when they both come off. That leaves Croker or Thompson to step into the starting spot (likely Croker) and a fair lack of depth in the front row, at least frontrowers with any 1st grade experience

Theres a few young fellas that are going to need to step up in 2023

Jono078

Referee
I suppose you can’t rule out us signing a front rower too. I’m sure there’ll be some bargain options out there that can be adequate depth.

Jono078

Referee
Toohey seems to believe that we'll be signing another forward... Didn't say if they were a front rower or back rower though
It's a real decent question of what we need more...

Props:
1. D Saf
2. J Saf
3. Hetherington
4. Croker
5. Thompson

Second Row / Lock:
1. Frizell
2. Elliott
3. Mann - ugh
4. Fitzgibbon
5. Jones
6. Johns
7. Purcell

That's going by what's listed on https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/teams/?competition=111&team=500003

Our edges are baaaaad.

Yosh

Coach
What is a strike backrower? Apparently it's a thing other rublgby league clubs possess.

Any chance we sign Nanai?

Latest posts