What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Here’s a newsflash for the not so bright…lol you get a jersey.
all attendances for NRL season games are counted .
even the low ones that result from taking games to country areas .
you take the good with the bad .

Wait on you don’t .
like your Whiney Perth mate …everything is a negative .
blah blah Syd PVL SYd PVL .

lol
singapore..😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
You know very well I'm using game day attendances and revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality to gauge the viability of Sydney's nine clubs. If you haven't worked this out yet then the midwife who delivered you must have been a fumbleballer's mother.

Why would I use the attendances from Magic Round in Brisbane to form an opinion on a Sydney club's viability in its home market?

Doesn't make much sense does it?

But don't worry, I'll play the game and do what you're telling me, even though you're talking out of your arse. I'll take Magic Round and country games into consideration while forming my assessment.

Numbers have been crunched and my assessment is in!

The data reveals that Sydney's clubs draw such terrible attendances in their home market they have to take a "home" game to Brisbane and play games back-to-back-to-back just to draw a crowd!

They're also so broke they choose to take a few paper bags of money from country folk because it's more lucrative than the chump change they make playing at a shithole in their home market!

😂

You don't seriously believe the rubbish you're peddling. If you've got nothing better to do than troll then I might as well put you on ignore.

If you don't want to hear any criticism of V'landys then why are you posting on a thread dedicated to assessing his tenure as chairman?

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
So let me get this straight:
15900 - 15300 = 600.

NRL crowds are down 600 people per game on average compared to 8 years ago.

Yep, that's convinced me V'landys has driven the game to oblivion.

And I mean no major world event happened in 2020 and 2021 that could have huge impact on this either.

I mean are people just ignoring this point? Is it just some sort of massive amnesia or cope?

f**k me, do we really expect society to just snap back immediately afterwards?

Canard

Immortal
Can you name 16 half-back/five-eight pairings that can take a team to a grand final and win it?

Look at how rudderless Townsend and Dearden were for the Cowboys in the preliminary final against the Eels when the game was there to be won. This is a team that finished 3rd. The club didn't start chalking up big scoreline until Drinkwater shifted to fullback and chipped in at first and second receiver on a regular basis. His ball playing skills and short kicking game created many tries for us.

The sole criteria for a any NRL player isn't solely "can they win a grand final'.

That a ludicrous standard, that makes no allowance for player development or growth.

As for calling TD "rudderless" after the season he had, some Cowboys fan you are.

He ticked off Murdoch so much he gave afl an extra 100 million pa as an up yours to rugby league then went on tv and said they have always preferred afl over rugby league

Good on Smith for doing so. News Ltd would have thrown the baby out with the bathwater anyway, they are cheapskates in many ways, and are notorious corporate bullies. Unless you stand up to them, they will continually run roughshod over you.

The fact that Grant had Smith punted, and then ran cap in hand to News Ltd afterwards didn't help the NRL get a better deal now did it? People want the Commission to stand up to the Broadcasters, but when one does, people like yourself howl about it because of the initial short term reaction. You can't have it both ways. Sometimes relative short term pain becomes long term gain.

If New Ltd via Fox are so stupid to overpay for AFL TV rights, when NRL TV rights are a far more critical piece of dri8ving tv subscriptions for them< then that is their problem - not the NRL's. Otherwise we may as just go with a begging bowl and be thankful for whatever scraps they throw us.

Even though he may make some mistakes, and do some things I don't agree with, it's what I respect about V'Landys as ARLC Chairman - he will stand firm.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Good on Smith for doing so. New Ltd would have thrown the baby out with the bathwater anyway, they are cheapskates in many ways, and are notorious corporate bullies. Unless you stand up to them, they will continually run roughshod over you.

The fact that Grant had Smith punted, and then ran cap in hand to News Ltd afterwards didn't help the NRL get a better deal now did it? People want the Commission to stand up to the Broadcasters, but when one does, people like yourself howl about it because of the initial short term reaction. You can't have it both ways. Sometimes relative short term pain becomes long term gain.

If New Ltd via Fox are so stupid to overpay for AFL TV rights, when NRL TV rights are a far more critical piece of dri8ving tv subscriptions for them< then that is their problem - not the NRL's. Otherwise we may as just go with a begging bowl and be thankful for whatever scraps they throw us.

Even though he may make some mistakes, and do some things I don't agree with, it's what I respect about V'Landys as ARLC Chairman - he will stand firm.
We are paying the price today for David smiths stupidity

he gambled someone else would want the pay tv rights and when nobody did we were stuffed

and he got suckered by nine

nine paid less since we had to give foxtel streaming rights and they sold the Saturday game back to foxtel

being honest we finally stood up to news ltd and copped an absolute beating for it and afl was the prime beneficiary

until there’s another genuine pay tv operator or the nrl streaming games itself is financially viable the game is at their mercy

he eliminated Monday night football and gave nine a Saturday game ending fox super Saturday exclusivity. It was literally a declaration of war

Iamback

Coach
So what? That was a straight transfer of money from the left hand to the right hand. Without knowing all the exact details you cannot state that as fact.

We can though, We had 5 years of financials from NRL and Ch9.

NRL was not paid $180m a year from Ch9. This article says it was $125m in the end once Streaming ( Telstra ) and Sat night game ( fox were on sold). For those who like to compare AFL was $160m FTA

After selling back games to Fox Sports Nine ended up forking out $625 million for its share of the new deal, which ensures the public will see three of the best four games live on free-to-air and as the finals come around Nine will show the last five Saturday night games of the season live as well.

There was also another smart part of the deal for the network: Fox Sports will have to take eight minutes of commercials which generate revenue for Nine. So while the free-to-air viewers may be down on other years the all-important advertising dollars will be bigger than ever. Fox also have the option of taking Nine's coverage.
As the deal has panned out News and Telstra have in effect subsidised the Nine deal – which works out at $125 million for three-and-a-quarter rounds of football, which compares with the Seven deal for AFL, which gives them three-and-a-half rounds of football for $160 million.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
So let me get this straight:
15900 - 15300 = 600.

NRL crowds are down 600 people per game on average compared to 8 years ago.

Yep, that's convinced me V'landys has driven the game to oblivion.
it’s just one amongst a number of metrics, and the FACT is that crowds are down and in that 8 years they haven’t grown. It seemed the nrl was pinning its hopes on new stadia reversing that but given the situation It doesn’t look likely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We can though, We had 5 years of financials from NRL and Ch9.

NRL was not paid $180m a year from Ch9. This article says it was $125m in the end once Streaming ( Telstra ) and Sat night game ( fox were on sold). For those who like to compare AFL was $160m FTA

After selling back games to Fox Sports Nine ended up forking out $625 million for its share of the new deal, which ensures the public will see three of the best four games live on free-to-air and as the finals come around Nine will show the last five Saturday night games of the season live as well.

There was also another smart part of the deal for the network: Fox Sports will have to take eight minutes of commercials which generate revenue for Nine. So while the free-to-air viewers may be down on other years the all-important advertising dollars will be bigger than ever. Fox also have the option of taking Nine's coverage.
As the deal has panned out News and Telstra have in effect subsidised the Nine deal – which works out at $125 million for three-and-a-quarter rounds of football, which compares with the Seven deal for AFL, which gives them three-and-a-half rounds of football for $160 million.
You’re totally misreading that. Nine was willing to pay nrl $185mill a year, the biggest fta deal ever signed in Australian sport (and only just matched in 2025 by afl). Now as part of that they had the option of selling stuff which meant their final outlay was less. But that didn’t impact the $185mill they were going to give nrl.

Smith was banking on fox knowing they couldn’t survive without nrl. He isn’t wrong as validated by Vlandys in his latest f**k up. Smith should have been given the chance to screw fox, he wasn’t, weak commissioner’s panicked, he only needed to get more than $175mill out of Fox and we’d have been better off Overall.

as it happened they ripped up the smith agreement when they sacked him and started again with nine paying nrl a paultry $115mill cash, and fox after all that not making up the difference anyway. Hence why afl ended up $416mill from Australian partners and we ended up with $360mill from the same.

weak as pss. Not quite as weak as giving fox the deal of a lifetime to prevent a cold but stilll.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And I mean no major world event happened in 2020 and 2021 that could have huge impact on this either.

I mean are people just ignoring this point? Is it just some sort of massive amnesia or cope?

f**k me, do we really expect society to just snap back immediately afterwards?
I’m judging it up to 2019. And 2022 I don’t think anyone has mentioned covid years in any argument?

mongoose

Coach
I

it’s just one amongst a number of metrics, and the FACT is that crowds are down and in that 8 years they haven’t grown. It seemed the nrl was pinning its hopes on new stadia reversing that but given the situation It doesn’t look likely.
if the NRL wanted to maximise crowds it could do it tomorrow and the average would go up by a few thousand. No Thurs night games, more Sunday Afternoon games for Broncos and big Sydney derbys. No more games in country towns and just better scheduling all-round. Do all this and the average would go up well over 16, probably even over 17k.

Iamback

Coach
if the NRL wanted to maximise crowds it could do it tomorrow and the average would go up by a few thousand. No Thurs night games, more Sunday Afternoon games for Broncos and big Sydney derbys. No more games in country towns and just better scheduling all-round. Do all this and the average would go up well over 16, probably even over 17k.

Then it rains or some other issue comes up out of the NRL's control. Those games draw 10k and the TV money has well and truly dropped.

Every game won't draw huge crowds, Which is fine. Enough 'event' games with NZ back at home will see crowds grow

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh but the tv contract would take a bigger bit

Wb1234

Referee
Then it rains or some other issue comes up out of the NRL's control. Those games draw 10k and the TV money has well and truly dropped.

Every game won't draw huge crowds, Which is fine. Enough 'event' games with NZ back at home will see crowds grow
Sad reality is crowds are largely irrelevant with how well clubs are funded they can get by on small crowds

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sad reality is crowds are largely irrelevant with how well clubs are funded they can get by on small crowds
Yeh take money away from the game building some decent assets and grassroots development so clubs dont have to actually work to increase revenue. So NRL. Increasing crowds by 25% would give the clubs more money than they are demanding grant increase in this new deal. Getting clubs to 20k instead of 15k would see a clubs revenue grow by over 10% for most clubs. But yeh its irrelevant if you either dont have many fans, or cant be arsed to get them to support you.