What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Sad reality is crowds are largely irrelevant with how well clubs are funded they can get by on small crowds

Corporate boxes don't get affected by rain
Members too pay in advance that minimal crowds are needed to break even. Of course bigger crowds are the aim but not a must

Wb1234

Referee
Corporate boxes don't get affected by rain
Members too pay in advance that minimal crowds are needed to break even. Of course bigger crowds are the aim but not a must
Yeh

that’s why new stadiums are great the corporate boxes are where the clubs make a killing

Penrith should copy commbank and make one side all corporates and leave the plebs for the other side lol

the old corporate boxes at allianz were a joke. The roosters are going to make a killing now off the new stadium

We are paying the price today for David smiths stupidity

he gambled someone else would want the pay tv rights and when nobody did we were stuffed

and he got suckered by nine

nine paid less since we had to give foxtel streaming rights and they sold the Saturday game back to foxtel

being honest we finally stood up to news ltd and copped an absolute beating for it and afl was the prime beneficiary

until there’s another genuine pay tv operator or the nrl streaming games itself is financially viable the game is at their mercy

he eliminated Monday night football and gave nine a Saturday game ending fox super Saturday exclusivity. It was literally a declaration of war

The end of Monday night football had more to do with the clubs, and the NRL for that matter, trying to decrease the number of times teams had 5 days or less turn around times from week to week. It had nothing to do with money. In fact it was agreeing to give up the Monday night slot that Fox asked for a 6pm Friday time slot for its coverage exclusively to compensate for that. You are incorrect on that score, it was about player welfare and what the clubs asked for - not Channel 9.

Yeh but the tv contract would take a bigger bit

Not necessarily. Channel 9 would whinge and complain as if they had to cover more than 1 game in a day they'd whinge about the production costs requiring multiple TV crews required. Fox may not go forth publicly saying it like nine would, but they'd probably say something similar behind closed door. Our FTA and current pay TV providers do a lot of its coverage on the cheap.

Wb1234

Referee
The end of Monday night football had more to do with the clubs, and the NRL for that matter, trying to decrease the number of times teams had 5 days or less turn around times from week to week. It had nothing to do with money. In fact it was agreeing to give up the Monday night slot that Fox asked for a 6pm Friday time slot for its coverage exclusively to compensate for that. You are incorrect on that score, it was about player welfare and what the clubs asked for - not Channel 9.
They axed mnf without discussing it with foxtel

and also gave nine a Saturday night game

obviously fox was going to be ticked off

then it was looking pretty dicey for a while with no other offers at all

what saved us was Optus outbid foxtel for the premier league rights

but they got their pound of flesh. Smith was punted and they forced friday 6 pm timeslot which is probably worse than Monday night

Don’t discount mnf making a return either

but they got their pound of flesh. Smith was punted and they forced friday 6 pm timeslot which is probably worse than Monday night

Boo hoo, they didn't discuss it with Foxtel? Cry me a river. You make it out like Foxtel were a passive participant in negotiations and did nothing at all and it was "big bad David Smith" who stuffed them over and they were completely innocent babes in the woods :rolleyes:

Sorry but considering what News Ltd help do to the game in 1995 to 1997, and then forced the ownership structure on which we had till Smith helped get the game out from under them, and helped (iirc) get rid of News Ltd and nine having first and last right bidding options for the TV rights, I'm not crying one cent for them.

You may not realise it, but your posts come across as "cheering" for Foxtel and News Ltd, which is why you are getting this reaction from me.

If you want to negotiate from a position of strength, you have to be tough. The reason it didn't work is John Grant went to water, sacked Smith, and then gave Foxtel what they wanted. News ltd and Fox treat it like they are defacto running/owning the game again as a result.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Boo hoo, they didn't discuss it with Foxtel? Cry me a river. You make it out like Foxtel were a passive participant in negotiations and did nothing at all and it was "big bad David Smith" who stuffed them over and they were completely innocent babes in the woods :rolleyes:

Sorry but considering what News Ltd help do to the game in 1995 to 1997, and then forced the ownership structure on which we had till Smith helped get the game out from under them, and helped (iirc) get rid of News Ltd and nine having first and last right bidding options for the TV rights, I'm not crying one cent for them.

You may not realise it, but your posts come across as "cheering" for Foxtel and News Ltd, which is why you are getting this reaction from me.

If you want to negotiate from a position of strength, you have to be tough. The reason it didn't work is John Grant went to water, sacked Smith, and then gave Foxtel what they wanted. News ltd and Fox treat it like they are defacto running/owning the game again as a result.
Smith knew the game needed a radical change in direction in a lot of areas. Take a look at the strat plan he and the commission of the day put out. By far the most aspirational and visionary one we've seen from the game, The relationship with Fox was a key one. He wanted to change the power play but as usual our game showed no spine and failed to back him. Same with Greenberg who wanted to battle ch9 and Fox on covid reductions and recommended not signing an extension at a point of uncertainty. For a game so brave on the field its so pss weak off it.

Steel Saints

Juniors

MNF should not return, because the other 14, (now 15 clubs) would begin to prepare for the next round, and it gives a jump start on the two clubs who are playing.

Instead of MNF or Friday 6pm, where people are still in transit from work, why not a Sunday night timeslot?

Wb1234

Referee

Hey I probably hated news ltd more than you

but I’m being pragmatic

when you aren’t in a position of strength you have to take what you can get

if smith had won his gamble I would be praising him as the best leader ever

but he didn’t he got sucked in badly by nine and had no plan b when foxtel got ticked off

fox can pretty much pay us what they want too

they have been paying us unders and using that money to pay afl more. If you look at the ratings fox should be paying us double what they do afl but they don’t

the arlc need to keep expanding and making the game so desireable that multiple networks genuinely bud for it

with the negative rugby league media and player misbehaviour it’s been a huge slot but the arlc will get there in the end

nine are far worse than fox but both would be good to get rid of

Wb1234

Referee
MNF should not return, because the other 14, (now 15 clubs) would begin to prepare for the next round, and it gives a jump start on the two clubs who are playing.

Instead of MNF or Friday 6pm, where people are still in transit from work, why not a Sunday night timeslot?
Both

mnf is going to very valuable

clubs can stop crying and deal with it given how greedy they are these days someone has to find the money to pay for their expensive operations

Iamback

Coach

You only need to look at the FTA Thurs night and FTA Friday night to see why they chose it.
6.30 Sunday should be the next timeslot used

Steel Saints

Juniors
Both

clubs can stop crying and deal with it given how greedy they are these days someone has to find the money to pay for their expensive operations
It's not just about the clubs, but the fans too. Is it an inconvenience for fans to attend a Friday 6pm game? And speaking of fans, is having five nights of footy too much of a good thing?

And in the overall bigger picture, the game needs to stop relying heavily on tv rights revenue because one day it could plateau.. Also tv money didn't help when the game was in lockdown.

We need to learn lessons from the pandemic.

Iamback

Coach
It's not just about the clubs, but the fans too. Is it an inconvenience for fans to attend a Friday 6pm game? And speaking of fans, is having five nights of footy too much of a good thing?

And in the overall bigger picture, the game needs to stop relying heavily on tv rights revenue because one day it could plateau.. Also tv money didn't help when the game was in lockdown.

Unless it is an indoor sport then TV money is key because crowds/Weather are too inconsistent

Both

If they try and bring it back, I genuinely suspect that at the very least it will be the players and the RLPA who will arc up about it. If you want more injuries, and more players sitting on the sideline, let's cut down recovery time in a comp where players have 24 regular season games to play excluding pre-season, finals and rep games.

The only other pro-sport which has similar physical demands on its players is the NFL, and even they don't play that many games in a season and turn around times are very much looked at when the draw is formulated there.

Wb1234

Referee

We need to learn lessons from the pandemic.
Dunno Friday 6 pm is pretty toxic for fans

and for tv it’s a bit meh too

I loved watching mnf on fox though

even better when it was on fta way back

broadcasting rights will never diminish

if people want to stop watching sport on tv or whatever medium they use then all sports are dead

Wb1234

Referee
If they try and bring it back, I genuinely suspect that at the very least it will be the players and the RLPA who will arc up about it. If you want more injuries, and more players sitting on the sideline, let's cut down recovery time in a comp where players have 24 regular season games to play excluding pre-season, finals and rep games.

The only other pro-sport which has similar physical demands on its players is the NFL, and even they don't play that many games in a season and turn around times are very much looked at when the draw is formulated there.
It’ll come down to the extra dollars on offer

if players want to keep getting higher wages then they will have to make some sacrifices I guess

but sure Sunday 6 pm is another good time slot as well

id say mnf is worth more though

I’d love to see mnf back on fta

I can still remember when your club tried it and with some giveaway tickets the sfs was packed for games on channel ten

The sole criteria for a any NRL player isn't solely "can they win a grand final'.

That a ludicrous standard, that makes no allowance for player development or growth.

As for calling TD "rudderless" after the season he had, some Cowboys fan you are.
You're deflecting from the question because you cannot answer it.

You're twisting my words regarding Dearden. I said he and Townsend were rudderless against Parramatta when the match was to be won. That's not knocking the bloke, just pointing out he is still developing and a statement of fact. It took Cleary time to become the dominant play maker he is today. Being a true fan doesn't mean denying the obvious.

Dearden's main asset is his running game and he didn't get much opportunity against the Eels because Townsend was hogging the ball and f**king it up with braindead decisions and poor execution.

My comments about our halves were more of a knock on Townsend as he doesn't have any room to improve and made too many elementary errors all season, such as giving away dumb penalties for not being square at marker or making terrible defensive reads that cost us tries. He made a few illegal tackles, too. Townsend's kicking game was terrible more often than not and without Dearden's running game and improving passing game or Drinkwater kicking and passing game we wouldn't have made it so far.

I am allowed to be critical of my team. I've seen you criticise players.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're a real Cowboys fan as you packed your bags for Melbourne and care more about sucking up to the Sydney clubs than promoting the best interests of Queensland rugby league. The best interests of the Sydney clubs are holding our game back, yet you're fine with that. I guess you must be a dreaded AwFuL fan if we're being consistent and using the logic of Phil and co. You don't even know what you're talking about, which was revealed when you made incorrect comments about sponsorship and corporate hospitality of clubs.

I'm of the belief that we would have better quality half-backs and five-eights making the transition to NRL if we had junior academies and better funded lower grade competitions. We've neglected these areas for decades and it's coming back to haunt us.

Iamback

Coach
Dunno Friday 6 pm is pretty toxic for fans

and for tv it’s a bit meh too

I loved watching mnf on fox though

even better when it was on fta way back

broadcasting rights will never diminish

if people want to stop watching sport on tv or whatever medium they use then all sports are dead

6pm Friday is one of the few timeslots I can watch with my kids, So it has a place much better then Monday night that was poorly attended and too late for kids to watch

The_Wookie

Bench
Sad reality is crowds are largely irrelevant with how well clubs are funded they can get by on small crowds

It doesnt really matter where the revenue comes from as long as they are profitable.

They would benefit from bigger crowds though. Three AFL clubs have released reports already showing that gate/membership is worth about 1/3rd of their revenue and worth much more than their AFL distributions (Hawthorn 17m, Essendon 20m, Collingwood 28m). For the NRL, almost every NSW club will come underneath 5 million- parra may be an exception this year.