What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The_Wookie

Bench
MNF should not return, because the other 14, (now 15 clubs) would begin to prepare for the next round, and it gives a jump start on the two clubs who are playing.

Instead of MNF or Friday 6pm, where people are still in transit from work, why not a Sunday night timeslot?

Why not both?

Monday Night Football is very marketable ikf they follow the US lead.

MugaB

Coach
Yeh take money away from the game building some decent assets and grassroots development so clubs dont have to actually work to increase revenue. So NRL. Increasing crowds by 25% would give the clubs more money than they are demanding grant increase in this new deal. Getting clubs to 20k instead of 15k would see a clubs revenue grow by over 10% for most clubs. But yeh its irrelevant if you either dont have many fans, or cant be arsed to get them to support you.
Hahaha, theyll just give it to the top 1% players thru some BS players agreement... the money won't get to stay in the admins hands long enough, these fkn clubs and players are so greedy, that its messing with any forward planning nessesary to either expand or garner more assets like the brisbane hotel for example

We are paying the price today for David smiths stupidity

he gambled someone else would want the pay tv rights and when nobody did we were stuffed

and he got suckered by nine

nine paid less since we had to give foxtel streaming rights and they sold the Saturday game back to foxtel

being honest we finally stood up to news ltd and copped an absolute beating for it and afl was the prime beneficiary

until there’s another genuine pay tv operator or the nrl streaming games itself is financially viable the game is at their mercy

he eliminated Monday night football and gave nine a Saturday game ending fox super Saturday exclusivity. It was literally a declaration of war
That's how the News Ltd media spun it.

What we learnt from the fiasco is Ch9 don't give a f**k about our game and neither does News Ltd.

Ch9 wouldn't have sold back the Saturday night game or given up exclusivity for any of them if they truly valued the product. The irony is their ratings would still be booming if they had exclusivity to four games.

Dave Smith and the ARLC could have offered Foxtel a ninth game so they would continue to have five exclusive matches per round, but the clubs were against expansion and so was Smith. Foxtel could whinge all they like, but without those five games they would have lost subscribers.

Our biggest problem is the RLPA, NRL clubs and state bodies are not on the same page and have too much power to f**k everything up for everyone else. The only way we can miminise this conflict of interest is by having each of these factions present a representative who attends all negotiations with the broadcasters and outlines what they each want. If nothing else it'll prevent News Ltd and Ch9 from using their platform to turn the RLPA and clubs against the ARLC chairman and CEO.

Iamback

Coach
Why not both?

Monday Night Football is very marketable ikf they follow the US lead.

Easier there where essentially every game is Sunday.

If an NRL side was to play on Monday then they can't play on the Thurs or Friday night the following week, That often results in the same few teams on that night.

Iamback

Coach
It doesnt really matter where the revenue comes from as long as they are profitable.

They would benefit from bigger crowds though. Three AFL clubs have released reports already showing that gate/membership is worth about 1/3rd of their revenue and worth much more than their AFL distributions (Hawthorn 17m, Essendon 20m, Collingwood 28m). For the NRL, almost every NSW club will come underneath 5 million- parra may be an exception this year.

What is the venue hire rate like?

That is the part that kills NRL teams and limits them moving to better venues

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is the venue hire rate like?

That is the part that kills NRL teams and limits them moving to better venues
It'd be interesting to see what sports are paying what prices for stadium hire. It seems to be all over the place.

MugaB

Coach
You're deflecting from the question because you cannot answer it.

You're twisting my words regarding Dearden. I said he and Townsend were rudderless against Parramatta when the match was to be won. That's not knocking the bloke, just pointing out he is still developing and a statement of fact. It took Cleary time to become the dominant play maker he is today. Being a true fan doesn't mean denying the obvious.

Dearden's main asset is his running game and he didn't get much opportunity against the Eels because Townsend was hogging the ball and f**king it up with braindead decisions and poor execution.

My comments about our halves were more of a knock on Townsend as he doesn't have any room to improve and made too many elementary errors all season, such as giving away dumb penalties for not being square at marker or making terrible defensive reads that cost us tries. He made a few illegal tackles, too. Townsend's kicking game was terrible more often than not and without Dearden's running game and improving passing game or Drinkwater kicking and passing game we wouldn't have made it so far.

I am allowed to be critical of my team. I've seen you criticise players.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're a real Cowboys fan as you packed your bags for Melbourne and care more about sucking up to the Sydney clubs than promoting the best interests of Queensland rugby league. The best interests of the Sydney clubs are holding our game back, yet you're fine with that. I guess you must be a dreaded AwFuL fan if we're being consistent and using the logic of Phil and co. You don't even know what you're talking about, which was revealed when you made incorrect comments about sponsorship and corporate hospitality of clubs.

I'm of the belief that we would have better quality half-backs and five-eights making the transition to NRL if we had junior academies and better funded lower grade competitions. We've neglected these areas for decades and it's coming back to haunt us.
Quality is subjective, and Nathan Cleary was always dominate, so much so, he took jamie sowards spot when he debuted... he is has been dominating for the past 5 years, and getting better with every season... you cannot compare his efforts to those of the other 16 clubs halfbacks or expect the game to have one in every team... your cows lost in the finals, to parra, that speaks to me as team effort rather than Townsends or Deardons specific effort

siv

First Grade
VFL was run by competent administrators who didn't let the clubs dictate how the game was run during the 80s. Arthurson and Quayle were a couple of duplicitous snakes who favoured the Sydney clubs and Newcastle while bleeding the Broncos, Cowboys, Crushers, Warriors and Reds dry. I know the Cowboys had to fund travel and accommodation for all teams that travelled to Townsville, after the NSWRL clubs made this demand to the expansion committee that consisted of officials from Sydney clubs. That's a conflict of interest and it saddled the Cowboys with an annual bill of $800k. That, as well as the financing of The Willows to be an ARL compliant ground, even though many of the Sydney teams played out of dilapidated parks that were unfit for the professional era, drove the club bankrupt and unable to pay its players beyond June 1995. That's why so many clubs signed with Super League and how we've gotten to the point where the clubs now run the ARLC instead of the other way around.
Yes and Ribot was the biggest snake of all

MugaB

Coach
6pm Friday is one of the few timeslots I can watch with my kids, So it has a place much better then Monday night that was poorly attended and too late for kids to watch
Its ok they keep it anyways, friday night is great for pubs to kick off after work, and monday night will make a come back due to the 18th club and 9th game to be played, i doubt they'll keep sunday night as a regular fixture, besides they can do a bit of both, dependant on who wants to pay for it... best part about league us that its much more watchable on tv, so a monday game, will rate coz the random reality show rubbish its up against on rival channels, cant compete with live sport

siv

First Grade
Yeh

that’s why new stadiums are great the corporate boxes are where the clubs make a killing

Penrith should copy commbank and make one side all corporates and leave the plebs for the other side lol

the old corporate boxes at allianz were a joke. The roosters are going to make a killing now off the new stadium
Plebs are the folk that must now sit on their lounge at home to watch games

Because their old halfway line seating, food, parking and schediling have been priced out of their ability to attend

Maximus

Coach
How many casuals are really going to watch on a Monday after primetime games on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then sunday afternoon? 5 days of games is great for us who watch a lot, but it's oversaturated for most people. Adding Monday would either hurt the ratings of other primetime games, or will kill the ratings for the 2nd half of the season once everyone is burnt out

EPL = 7 games saturday, 2 on sunday and 1 on monday
NFL = 1 thursday and monday, the rest on sunday half of which are at the same time
NBA every day, but their nationally televised games only get 1-2m

Apart from NBA/MLB etc where teams play a thousand games each, what sports spread their games over such a large portion of the week? And do any of them have high ratings?