What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Iamback

Coach
Most clubs or business requires outside investment, whether that be by a leagues club or other private business interest or having a sugar daddy or a millionaire pumping money into it.

It seems your moral aversion to pokies (sure I agree pokies are morally questionable but so is alcohol, gambling and a matter of different things that directly and indirectly fund high level sport) is clouding your judgement here. A prospective club in Perth being funded by mining magnets/interests is essentially no different to a leagues club funding an NRL team.

Particularly as Newcastle was owned via mining and got into trouble

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most clubs or business requires outside investment, whether that be by a leagues club or other private business interest or having a sugar daddy or a millionaire pumping money into it.

It seems your moral aversion to pokies (sure I agree pokies are morally questionable but so is alcohol, gambling and a matter of different things that directly and indirectly fund high level sport) is clouding your judgement here. A prospective club in Perth being funded by mining magnets/interests is essentially no different to a leagues club funding an NRL team.
All clubs should be sustainable on football operations revenue. Some are so why arent others? Esepcially as 50% of expenses are now covered by the tv grant. I'll be disappointed if in 25 years a Perth club cant stand on its own two feet without needing hand outs.

Jesus Christ you’re clueless .
im sure I watched the Knights play last season.
then again im not a know all from Perth …so if I’m wrong I’ll admit it .
as for Pokie clubs.No matter what you think of them
if they put their Money into a muched loved sports team then that’s one of the few positives about them .

Lol you as usual can only see a negative .

I think we should re-name PR "Cher", as in the central character in -

1669257653191.png

Colk

First Grade
All clubs should be sustainable on football operations revenue. Some are so why arent others? Esepcially as 50% of expenses are now covered by the tv grant. I'll be disappointed if in 25 years a Perth club cant stand on its own two feet without needing hand outs.

I agree with most of that.

To answer your question a few posts ago, Newcastle and the Hunter Valley, doesn’t have a large corporate base, outside of say mining.

That will likely improve over the next decade or so as the city transitions even more away from the BHP/mining type of working class background to an area focused on higher education and multi faceted business investment. This is being driven by a concerted effort by local government and industry to diversify away from just being a mining area and also from high migration of people from other areas, most particularly Sydney.

MugaB

Coach
youre all so funny. Didn't the Knights go bust and have to be bailed out by the NRL a few years ago? And didnt they only become sustainable due to a pokie den buying them? Wouldn't that suggest that the only way a Newcastle team is sustainable is if they get subsidized by a pokie den? ergo they arent sustainable on their own? If an NRL team in a RL mad city cant stand on their own two feet there is cat in hells chance an AFL club can and the AFL know that. The notion AFL would put a team in a place like Newcastle is laughable.

its like talking to kindergarten in here sometimes!
DOUBLE "POKIE DEN"
.....press start to get your 15 free spins
||AFL||AFL||AFL||

You win!!!

Canard

Immortal
youre all so funny. Didn't the Knights go bust and have to be bailed out by the NRL a few years ago? And didnt they only become sustainable due to a pokie den buying them? Wouldn't that suggest that the only way a Newcastle team is sustainable is if they get subsidized by a pokie den? ergo they arent sustainable on their own? If an NRL team in a RL mad city cant stand on their own two feet there is cat in hells chance an AFL club can and the AFL know that. The notion AFL would put a team in a place like Newcastle is laughable.

its like talking to kindergarten in here sometimes!

So based on a sample size of 1, you've come to that conclusion? And make no allowance for any other factors like bad management, corruption, or extremal factors?

I once farted and followed through, therefore anytime I fart it must be a shart.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So based on a sample size of 1, you've come to that conclusion? And make no allowance for any other factors like bad management, corruption, or extremal factors?

I once farted and followed through, therefore anytime I fart it must be a shart.
Didnt jets also get into financial strife in 2009 and have to be bailed out? So out of two professional clubs (I suppose we could chuck in the mariners for fun) two went bust and had to be bailed out. Oh and lets not forget basketball and the demise of the Hunter Pirates. So 3/3 Newcastle professional clubs financially going kaput. Hmmm.

Canard

Immortal
Didnt jets also get into financial strife in 2009 and have to be bailed out? So out of two professional clubs (I suppose we could chuck in the mariners for fun) two went bust and had to be bailed out. Oh and lets not forget basketball and the demise of the Hunter Pirates. So 3/3 Newcastle professional clubs financially going kaput. Hmmm.

Nice goal post shifting.

I'm amazed how you can find a negative spin on almost anything

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

Not necessarily, unless that is deemed to be the best revenue stream modelling for NRL clubs. This is why membership and crowd revenue growth is critical for the code, which would create less reliance on pokies/leagues clubs or private financiers.

The biggest AFL clubs generate $25-30m per year in game related revenue streams. This is how NRL clubs become sustainable, instead of running cap in hand to the NRL for more grant money. Engage more people to be members and attend games. 15k crowds need to be 25k and memberships should average 30-40k across the competition.

Newcastle Falcons went bust in the NBL as well. When the Knights entered the NSWRL they were given an interest free loan from Arthurson and Quayle while the Broncos had to pay a $500k entrance fee.

Wb1234

Referee
I mean he didn’t actually say pokie den but what’s with all these weird posts bagging leagues clubs

they aren’t going away anytime soon guys as much as you wish it to be so

many nrl clubs are owned by their leagues clubs so essentially they are just one entity

Canard

Immortal
Newcastle Falcons went bust in the NBL as well. When the Knights entered the NSWRL they were given an interest free loan from Arthurson and Quayle while the Broncos had to pay a $500k entrance fee.

The Canberra Cannons, Brisbane Bullets,Sydney Kings and Townsville Crocs went bust to. Surely no-one is suggesting those regions have NRL clubs that are not sustainable?

Basketball in Australia has been in a boom and bust cycle since the 80s, you can't use it as an analogy for an NRL club and it's sustainability.

The Knights financial woes were an example of bad management, bad luck and the GFC.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice goal post shifting.

I'm amazed how you can find a negative spin on almost anythinw
Nice goal post shifting.

I'm amazed how you can find a negative spin on almost anything
What? You said there was a sample group of one, merely showing that in fact Newcastle has struggled to sustain professional sport nearly as much as the Gold Coast. Which is weird like I said give the Knights massive active fanbase And decent stadium. And is the reason afl wouldn’t dream of going there which was what I responding to someone suggesting. Yawn.

Canard

Immortal
What? You said there was a sample group of one, merely showing that in fact Newcastle has struggled to sustain professional sport nearly as much as the Gold Coast. Which is weird like I said give the Knights massive active fanbase And decent stadium. And is the reason afl wouldn’t dream of going there which was what I responding to someone suggesting.

Correlation doesn't equal causation.

For mine, the Knights were badly managed and run, rather than the Hunter Region and surrounds, being unsustainable, similarly with the Gold Coast franchises.

FYI, the AFL will never go there in my view, but thats another story.