What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
Sadly I think the QLD cup is mainly a feeder comp that relies on Leagues Club funding.... I doubt the magpies would get much more of a following playing in Logan and if they did they would have most likely moved there permanently by now.

If the council did up Davies Park and improved the game day experience (food trucks, craft beer etc) I think they would get some really good turnouts actually. It would pull the hipster crowd a bit like the Newtown Jets.
Logan, where RL teams go to die

Sadly I think the QLD cup is mainly a feeder comp that relies on Leagues Club funding.... I doubt the magpies would get much more of a following playing in Logan and if they did they would have most likely moved there permanently by now.

If the council did up Davies Park and improved the game day experience (food trucks, craft beer etc) I think they would get some really good turnouts actually. It would pull the hipster crowd a bit like the Newtown Jets.

Magpies drew good support in Logan when they played at Meakon Park back in the 00s. What hurt them was having to hire the ground from the Brisbane Strikers.

Here's an article summing up the situation in 2010.

Davies Park is leased and its adjoining land is used for soccer, volleyball and community gardening. There's not enough parking to support a large crowd.

Last edited:
It's a given that clubs have to follow certain protocols etc.

But you seem to be intimating that there is a finite number of licence holders and that this is preventing any new clubs from joining.

Given the amount of clubs that have come and gone in the BRL and QCup over the last 20 or so years, I don't think any such limitation exists at this level.
The Queensland Cup has been fairly stable over the last 12 years.

The introduction of the Western Clydesdales this year is the first time the Queensland Cup has expanded since the Hunters entered in 2014. No teams have been lost since 2007.

Canard

Immortal
The Queensland Cup has been fairly stable over the last 12 years.

The introduction of the Western Clydesdales this year is the first time the Queensland Cup has expanded since the Hunters entered in 2014. No teams have been lost since 2007.

Blackhawks in 2015.

Regardless, there certainly isn't the same barrier to entry like say the NRL have.

It's pretty rough, claiming a 100 year old club, it's players and administrators should just fold on a whim of playing games 10km further away.

Blackhawks in 2015.

Regardless, there certainly isn't the same barrier to entry like say the NRL have.

It's pretty rough, claiming a 100 year old club, it's players and administrators should just fold on a whim of playing games 10km further away.
The QRL met with the Logan City Council a couple of years ago about leasing football parks at Heritage Park. That means there are plans to add a team to Logan, whether the Magpies like it or not. It would be better for the Magpies to be that team and have 350k people to themselves than stay where they are and lose the city to a new club.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The QRL met with the Logan City Council a couple of years ago about basing a team out of Heritage Park. That means there are plans to add a team to Logan, whether the Magpies like it or not. It would be better for the Magpies to be that team and have 350k people to themselves than stay where they are and lose the city to a new club.
Who fkn cares, no one will put a team in Logan, and no one cares that you want one STFUA

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
So after embarrassing the sport by not being arsed to turn up at the RLWC a deal must have been done by now? Strange I seem to have missed it in the news?
Geez you really hate PVL... to course correct this thread musta taken some effort from you bro

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez you really hate PVL... to course correct this thread musta taken some effort from you bro
I do my best :) I save my hate for people who harm others, not for incompetent people.
so do we have a deal or was the excuse for not representing the Australian game at a RLWC just another lie spun by pistol Pete?

Wb1234

Referee
The Dolphins were selected because:-

- They were the most well supported, well run and successful QRL team of the last 40 years
- A existing large supporter base
- Located within a large growth corridor
-Didn't rely on the construction of large stadium
Which easts tigers have but also have their base close to Suncorp

the fact the Broncos didn’t want them shows they were more of a threat to their monopoly

dolphins going to be massive regardless

I’d have added both staggered over 3 years

both excellent bids

My biggest problem with the Dolphins is they're from the outskirts of Brisbane without an adequate venue in their location, so will be playing most games at in the Brisbane CBD. They're trying to get around this by not calling themselves Redcliffe, Moreton Bay or Brisbane, but everyone knows where they're from.

siv

First Grade
That is true, but the metro networks are confined to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. To maximise ad revenue we need to generate an audience in these five markets.
Or the concept evolves to include other population centres

No longer are networks based in those 5 locations

Canard

Immortal
It makes little sense for Brisbane to have decentralised stadia given its got an under utilised one in a central location that's the best RL ground in the world.

And it makes even less sense when you understand Brisbane public transport system and that it is only home to two NRL teams.

Why make the same mistakes Sydney has?

Souths don't need to fold. They just need to evolve like they did in their first 40 years. When they started in 1909 they were known as Carltons. In the 1930s they became Southern Suburbs. Up until the 1950s they were known as the Lions. We no longer have a district-based system, so there's no need for them to retain the Southern Suburbs name. They could become the Logan Magpies or even the Logan Lions, which was a proposed team to enter the NSWRL in the 1990s. Any opposition from the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions Football Club would look petty and anger the public.

Or the concept evolves to include other population centres

No longer are networks based in those 5 locations
That's not true. The bulk of advertising revenue is in the five metro areas. There are laws preventing companies from controlling media over the entire country.

Canard

Immortal
Souths don't need to fold. They just need to evolve like they did in their first 40 years. When they started in 1909 they were known as Carltons. In the 1930s they became Southern Suburbs. Up until the 1950s they were known as the Lions. We no longer have a district-based system, so there's no need for them to retain the Southern Suburbs name. They could become the Logan Magpies or even the Logan Lions, which was a proposed team to enter the NSWRL in the 1990s. Any opposition from the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions Football Club would look petty and anger the public.

Why Souths, just start another team.

As for calling it the Lions? Really you can't be serious

siv

First Grade
That's not true. The bulk of advertising revenue is in the five metro areas. There are laws preventing companies from controlling media over the entire country.

Yes but today all major networks broadcast to every location together

No longer have stations like Ch3 Newcastle or Ch4 Wollongong

We now have Ch 7 9 & 10 broadcasting nationally, showing the same shows and ma y times the same ads