What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Yes but today all major networks broadcast to every location together

No longer have stations like Ch3 Newcastle or Ch4 Wollongong

We now have Ch 7 9 & 10 broadcasting nationally, showing the same shows and ma y times the same ads

The metropolitan networks have affiliates in the regional centres.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dif

Difference is 88% of Australian tv advertising is spent in those 5 metro capitals. At moment we only have three of them covered. Yes we have Auckland and that reaps us a nice return in our international rights. But in our Australian rights we need to adapt and grow With perth and Adelaide and eventually melbourne2.

Just one of the reasons we are so far behind in tv revenue.
With viewing quickly moving away from FTA and onto streaming platforms, that model might be dying with it. What will matter then is population centres (no matter where they are) for subscribers, and Rugby League dominates AFL in the most populated developed cities Australia & NZ. That's why they have to try and piss so much money up the wall trying to get a tiny fraction of what we already have:

1. Sydney - RL
2. Melbourne - AFL
3. Brisbane - RL
4. Perth - AFL
5. Auckland - RL
6. Adelaide - AFL
7. Gold Coast - RL
8. Newcastle - RL
9. Canberra - RL
10. Sunshine Coast - RL
11. Central Coast - RL
12. Wollongong - RL

13. Geelong - AFL
14. Hobart - AFL
15. Townsville - RL

With viewing quickly moving away from FTA and onto streaming platforms, that model might be dying with it. What will matter then is population centres (no matter where they are) for subscribers, and Rugby League dominates AFL in the most populated developed cities Australia & NZ. That's why they have to try and piss so much money up the wall trying to get a tiny fraction of what we already have:

1. Sydney - RL
2. Melbourne - AFL
3. Brisbane - RL
4. Perth - AFL
5. Auckland - RL
6. Adelaide - AFL
7. Gold Coast - RL
8. Newcastle - RL
9. Canberra - RL
10. Sunshine Coast - RL
11. Central Coast - RL
12. Wollongong - RL

13. Geelong - AFL
14. Hobart - AFL
15. Townsville - RL
I still wish we had their vision and business acumen. We had an opportunity to get the game on the right path in 1998. We failed to take advantage and now we're paying the price. That was the year AwFuL won the war.

Storm80

Juniors
The Dolphins were selected because:-

- They were the most well supported, well run and successful QRL team of the last 40 years
- A existing large supporter base
- Located within a large growth corridor
-Didn't rely on the construction of large stadium
The PVL lovers really like to make it up as they go

Hows how Abdo says one of the key reasons for the dolphins winning is they wouldn’t cannibalise current sponsors.

Who’s sponsors might be cannibalised by the Firehawks? Wouldn’t be the Broncos owned by news Ltd would it? Haha

The beauty of the Firehawks is they could be based in the south/west and still play out of Suncorp, which they always planned to do.

Gotta love how Abdo includes Sunshine Coast population in the Morton bay region to bump the stats up to 800k and only says it’s almost as much as “Brisbane city” - which leaves out the 700k in outer southern and western Brisbane which broncos automatically consume.

Redcliffe ain’t brisbane, and it ain’t embraced as Sunshine Coast either. It’s in no man’s land.

Face it fellas, sure the code has a 17th club. But the NRL chose the mediocre option rather the option of excellence, the Firehawks. All because News Ltd cracked the whip

Storm80

Juniors
What's biazare is the mental gymnastics Sydney RL fans use to argue Brisbane is an all-city team while claiming the Roosters cannot represent anything but a small pocket in the eastern suburbs.
Roosters could represent a large proportion of Sydney if they were marketed right and weren't competing with so many clubs.

Having said all of this, the Broncos do have a large following in Logan, Ipswich and the bay side suburbs of Brisbane.
It’s hilarious, people from interstate that have never lived in SE Queensland lecturing the locals on what will work in Brisbane.

They seem to think we like shitting on NRL administration for the fun of it. It’s obvious as dog balls the 2nd NRL club in Brisbane should be south of the river where the main growth corridor is.

It opens you up to Logan and Ipswich as well as inner west and south suburbs - as well as out east to Redlands and Wynnum manly. Plus it cuts Brisbane Lions’ off at the knees.

But yeah, born and bred Sydneysiders know SE Queensland best of course

Last edited:

Storm80

Juniors
Who fkn cares, no will put a team in Logan, and no one cares that you want one STFUA
Don’t you go for Penrith? The Logan of Sydney?

Why wouldn’t you want to have a presence near Logan and draw from the youth their? I imagine it’s very similar to the talent pool out Penrith way, due to its demographics.

Again, Sydney people knowing Brisbane better than Brisbanites haha absolutely clueless

Canard

Immortal
I'm glad that LU hates the Dolphins already and has deemed them a failure.

They are easily now my 2nd team because of this hate

It’s hilarious, people from interstate that have never lived in SE Queensland lecturing the locals on what will work in Brisbane.

They seem to think we like shitting on NRL administration for the fun of it. It’s obvious as dog balls the 2nd NRL club in Brisbane should be south of the river where the main growth corridor is.

It opens you up to Logan and Ipswich as well as inner west and south suburbs - as well as out east to Redlands and Wynnum manly. Plus it cuts Brisbane Lions’ off at the knees.

But yeah, born and bred Sydneysiders know SE Queensland best of course
My fear is the damage caused by the NSWRL is irreversible. It went out of its way to f**k up the game in Brisbane in 1988 out of spite, doubled down on its efforts in 1997 and has never stopped holding it back to protect the NSWRL clubs from Sydney.

It's a miracle the Cowboys survived after being forced to fork out $800k per annum to fly broke Sydney clubs to Townsville. The annual grant back then was just $500k and teams had to cover the salary cap out of their own pockets. Cowboys were also forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an RL stadium while Sydney clubs were allowed to play out of shitholes. @The_Wookie and @MugaB conveniently ignore these inconvenient facts because the truth goes against their revisionist history of the game.

We cannot forget that the NSWRFL never wanted State of Origin and labelled Queenslanders insane and stupid for bringing up the proposition. It's no wonder the game in Australia has failed to grow into new markets when it it's been run by simpletons from the NSWRL since 1908. If it wasn't for Super League and News Ltd's involvement then we wouldn't have the Storm or Cowboys.

The NSWRL managed to destroy rugby league in Perth by favouring the NSWRL clubs. News Ltd refused to fix the mess caused by the NSWRL.

Our main competitor has been unopposed for 25 years thanks to the parasitic Sydney cartel. They've achieved a lot in that time and we'll never catch up to them.

mongoose

Coach
My fear is the damage caused by the NSWRL is irreversible. It went out of its way to f**k up the game in Brisbane in 1988 out of spite, doubled down on its efforts in 1997 and has never stopped holding it back to protect the NSWRL clubs from Sydney.

It's a miracle the Cowboys survived after being forced to fork out $800k per annum to fly broke Sydney clubs to Townsville. The annual grant back then was just $500k and teams had to cover the salary cap out of their own pockets. Cowboys were also forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an RL stadium while Sydney clubs were allowed to play out of shitholes. @The_Wookie and @MugaB conveniently ignore these inconvenient facts because the truth goes against their revisionist history of the game.

We cannot forget that the NSWRFL never wanted State of Origin and labelled Queenslanders insane and stupid for bringing up the proposition. It's no wonder the game in Australia has failed to grow into new markets when it it's been run by simpletons from the NSWRL since 1908. If it wasn't for Super League and News Ltd's involvement then we wouldn't have the Storm or Cowboys.

The NSWRL managed to destroy rugby league in Perth by favouring the NSWRL clubs. News Ltd refused to fix the mess caused by the NSWRL.

Our main competitor has been unopposed for 25 years thanks to the parasitic Sydney cartel. They've achieved a lot in that time and we'll never catch up to them.
you need to get over things that happened 30+ years ago... its done, move on

you need to get over things that happened 30+ years ago... its done, move on
The damage caused by the NSWRL is ongoing and will continue until a few Sydney clubs are thrown out and replaced with teams in Adelaide and Perth. Fumbleball is going to increase its share of Brisbane and Sydney, to the detriment of our game, while we remain invisible in Adelaide and Perth. Our fate is to become an irrelevant niche sport in our heartland and a joke outside of it.

Canard

Immortal

What would you suggest be done in season 2023 to correct the "wrongs" of 1988?

Storm80

Juniors
I'm glad that LU hates the Dolphins already and has deemed them a failure.

They are easily now my 2nd team because of this hate
Who says they are a failure? I mean I hope they never win shit, but that’s just cause I always disliked them as a team.

Obviously, you not being from SE Queensland and never following the BRL - you don’t understand that Redcliffe is actually not well liked by other BRL club supporters.

It’s kinda like saying to a south’s fan do you want the roosters to be successful? Or would the roosters be your no.2 team? Of course not. South’s fans would love to see the roosters bankrupt and booted from the NRL.

I could chuck an NRL team in Beenleigh and it would be more financially viable than almost all Sydney clubs straight off the bat. That’s because Brisbane is desperate for more NRL teams and are much more passionate than Sydney fans.

Brisbane have one team for 2.4m people. Western Sydney has the same population and has Penrith parramatta Canterbury and wests ffs.

The point is, what’s the best option for brisbane 2 - Redcliffe or a club like the Firehawks with an inner city base that spreads out across southern Brisbane.

It was a no brainer and one of the reasons it didn’t win appears to be News Ltd didn’t want Broncos to be negatively impacted. If you know your super league history you know how protective News is over the broncos and how they will subotague the game if necessary to increase the bottom line for shareholders.

The Dolphins will find a niche as the broncos lap dog no doubt. But the fact remains the best option for the game and the people of Brisbane was for the Firehawks to come in first.

Any expansion decision influenced by News Ltd is clearly not in the interests of the game as a whole

docbrown

Coach
Not a bizarre statement at all.
Wow you really wrote an essay there. I’m no going to repeat it. I will say the only people thinking your way are obsessive rugby league tragics on Internet forums. No normal rugby league fan is going ‘I’m from Logan and Broncos are from Red Hill so I cant support them.’ It’s nonsense. People have 4 reactions: they like the Broncos, they hate them, they’re indifferent to them or they don’t watch league for various reasons. Dolphins are going to get their fans from the last 3.

You’re focused on a north vs south rivalry. Broncos vs Dolphins will be a neighbour vs neighbour rivalry. It will be father vs son, mother vs daughter rivalry. Households will be divided. That’s how you get people talking. In 15 years the Dolphins will be up there with the Broncos as a nation brand rugby league club. Even their new supporters will mostly forget that they came from Redcliffe. They won’t be view as a north or south team but as a Queensland team.

As for the AFL that you’ve got a hard on for, I’d pick the Dolphins as a brand over the Suns or Giants. Why? Kids like Dolphins. Kids, in particular girls, will follow the club simply because they like the mascot. Those are your adult fans in 15 years. Now compare that to asking a kid to explain what the hell GWS means and where it is…