What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

mongoose

Coach
How so?

It’s a 50 year plan in foreign territory. AFL would not have been able to increase tv rights by $500m over NRL in 2025-27 without both Suns and Giants.

It’s almost like AFL actually have something NRL could only dream of… you know a long term vision, good governance frameworks and solid strategic decision making.

So I guess smart expansion and professional negotiations with tv stations paid off within 15 years of the clubs creation.

But but but… revenue… but but but … wagering in USA… but but but … one off games in the USA… but but but … we put a team in Redcliffe instead of sth of the river…

yeah something iffy about AFL being able to demand so much TV revenue with such mediocre ratings in NSW and QLD... is an 18th game really worth that much more to the broadcasters? Giants have been around for 10 years now and their average in 2022 was 9k and that's probably with some creative counting.... I could probably count the number of people in western Sydney who could name a Giants player on 2 hands.

docbrown

Coach
Haha how symplistic.

Why would anyone that supports Canberra or Melbourne or Sharks etc in South Brisbane bother to go to a regular game of the dolphins?

Except perhaps when they play their own team. Maybe if they start winning premierships, but they are a very long way off that.

You seriously think people in Brisbane will automatically have an allegence to a Redcliffe based team? Not a chance in hell. They will get some fans in the north. They won’t get many in the south cause they identify as Brisbane not Morton bay, Redcliffe or Sunshine Coast.

Again, I have to write at length due to explain the dynamics in SE Queensland. Cause all you Sydney numbnuts don’t have a clue about it.
It’s like any expansion team in any sport, including your beloved AFL. Fans switch allegiances when new options become available. For example, Lions in the AFL lost members to the Suns when the Suns came in. That said you know this, you’re just being an idiot about it.

People in Brisbane who follow the Broncos will mostly keep following the Broncos. A small minority will switch. A decent number of NRL fans in Brisbane that don’t follow the Broncos will switch. Next to nobody, except a handful of f**kwits on Internet forums who bitch and moan regardless, will care that they used to come from Redcliffe. Most people will make their decision on the fact that they’re not the Broncos.

I see you’re only killing off 2 and not 5 Sydney clubs tonight. Are you feeling okay?
😂

I think the lack of quality stadia for the smaller clubs will eventually be their undoing. Asking people to frequent a shithole like Kogarah, Brookvale, Leichhardt, Belmore, Campbelltown or Endeavour when there's clubs playing out of SFS and Parramatta Stadium is like trying to talk some one into using a filthy old thunderbox in the middle of winter when there's a flushing toilet with a heat lamp, Quilton toilet paper, a Playboy mag and Dettol anti-bacterial hand wash just 10 metres away. The bigger clubs will grow larger and the smaller clubs will become irrelevant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Metro 1. Sydney - RL &afl
Metro 2. Melbourne - AFL&nrl
Metro 3. Brisbane - RL &af
Metro 4. Perth - AFl
metro 5. Adelaide - AFl
international 5. Auckland - nrl
regional:
7. Gold Coast - RL &afl
8. Newcastle - RL
9. Canberra - RL &afl
10. Sunshine Coast - RL
11. Central Coast - RL
12. Wollongong - RL

13. Geelong - AFL
14. Hobart - AFL
15. Townsville - RL
maybe in decades to come but the vast majority of advertising revenue is still spent on fta Not ptv. 88% of growing tv advertising is spent on metro markets not regional areas.
have updated the above list accordingly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wasn't aware there is a deadline.

Surely there's a replay of an afl game to keep you occupied.
Well it was so urgent apparently it meant neither of the Australian games leaders could be in the uk. Being so urgent I’d have expected news by now. Or could it be it was a piss poor excuse not to support the international game after shtting on the World Cup last year?

Wow you really wrote an essay there. I’m no going to repeat it. I will say the only people thinking your way are obsessive rugby league tragics on Internet forums. No normal rugby league fan is going ‘I’m from Logan and Broncos are from Red Hill so I cant support them.’ It’s nonsense. People have 4 reactions: they like the Broncos, they hate them, they’re indifferent to them or they don’t watch league for various reasons. Dolphins are going to get their fans from the last 3.

You’re focused on a north vs south rivalry. Broncos vs Dolphins will be a neighbour vs neighbour rivalry. It will be father vs son, mother vs daughter rivalry. Households will be divided. That’s how you get people talking. In 15 years the Dolphins will be up there with the Broncos as a nation brand rugby league club. Even their new supporters will mostly forget that they came from Redcliffe. They won’t be view as a north or south team but as a Queensland team.

As for the AFL that you’ve got a hard on for, I’d pick the Dolphins as a brand over the Suns or Giants. Why? Kids like Dolphins. Kids, in particular girls, will follow the club simply because they like the mascot. Those are your adult fans in 15 years. Now compare that to asking a kid to explain what the hell GWS means and where it is…
Only time will tell how successful they are on and off the field.

You have to admit it's not a good sign to see them playing two games at a ground that has a capacity of just 11.5k.

If all twelve of their games are at Lang Park in 2024 then they should be fine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’re playing most of their games out of Lang Park. People won’t care that “Oh no, they’re not called the Logan Dolphins and they used to come from Redcliffe so I can’t support them.” They’re thinking can I get to Lang Park to watch them beat the Broncos?

Those people supporting Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Raiders and Sydney clubs now have a team that aren’t the Broncos that they can now more easily get to go see in person. People will switch club allegiances for that.

BTW you write essays because of your own ego and nothing more.
if they go to 10-2 stadium split I agree. If they stay at 7-5 then no. Just no.
the firehawks where the obvious choice for a proper brisbane2 club. We got a brisbane 0.5 Because broncos want to maintain a monopoly on the city, you know the people allegedly paying for the expansion are the same ones who own broncos, no conflict of interest there what so ever! (is there any other sports comp in the world that lets the tv company who owns the rights also own a club in the same comp?? )

Be interesting to see how it pans out. For expansions sake I hope they are a roaring success.

MugaB

Coach
My fear is the damage caused by the NSWRL is irreversible. It went out of its way to f**k up the game in Brisbane in 1988 out of spite, doubled down on its efforts in 1997 and has never stopped holding it back to protect the NSWRL clubs from Sydney.

It's a miracle the Cowboys survived after being forced to fork out $800k per annum to fly broke Sydney clubs to Townsville. The annual grant back then was just $500k and teams had to cover the salary cap out of their own pockets. Cowboys were also forced to take out a loan to convert The Willows into an RL stadium while Sydney clubs were allowed to play out of shitholes. @The_Wookie and @MugaB conveniently ignore these inconvenient facts because the truth goes against their revisionist history of the game.

We cannot forget that the NSWRFL never wanted State of Origin and labelled Queenslanders insane and stupid for bringing up the proposition. It's no wonder the game in Australia has failed to grow into new markets when it it's been run by simpletons from the NSWRL since 1908. If it wasn't for Super League and News Ltd's involvement then we wouldn't have the Storm or Cowboys.

The NSWRL managed to destroy rugby league in Perth by favouring the NSWRL clubs. News Ltd refused to fix the mess caused by the NSWRL.

Our main competitor has been unopposed for 25 years thanks to the parasitic Sydney cartel. They've achieved a lot in that time and we'll never catch up to them.
What the f**k do i have to do with this, you love name dropping me, even tho im on your ignore list, and i have said none of this, youre just obsessed with yourself

Perth Red

Post Whore
T
yeah something iffy about AFL being able to demand so much TV revenue with such mediocre ratings in NSW and QLD... is an 18th game really worth that much more to the broadcasters? Giants have been around for 10 years now and their average in 2022 was 9k and that's probably with some creative counting.... I could probably count the number of people in western Sydney who could name a Giants player on 2 hands.
Tbf after 45 years cronulla only avg’d 12K. By comparison 9k after 10 years might not be so bad lol

Remember what Murdoch said at the press conference for the 2015 AwFuL broadcast deal?

“We’ve always believed this (AFL) is the premium code in Australia – it’s the national game,” Murdoch told reporters on Tuesday.

“We believe in the strength of the game and we will do everything we can to make it stronger.”

There's no doubt in my mind that Murdoch and News Ltd see AwFuL winning the war.

Can you blame them for not having any faith in our game?

News Ltd were partners with the ARL between 98 and 12. They dealt with the game and fought against the ARL between 95-98. The intelligence they mustered over those years gives them a huge advantage over us because they know how weak and disjointed our game has been for decades.

My theory is News Ltd are planning on AwFuL generating a strong profile and supporter base in Brisbane and Sydnry. If it succeeds then then they will wave goodbye to our game or just throw chump change at it.

We would be foolish to think it cannot happen. In forty years theyve successfully turned fumbleball into a commonly played sport in Queensland with 25k registered players. You and I do not care for fumbleball, but kids these days don't have the same biases as us.

The school kids who've been raised over the last 20 years don't revere rugby league the same way you and I did when we went to school. The ongoing damage caused by the NSWRL since 1988 created a door for fumbleball to crawl through and it's now thriving, especially amongst girls. Those girls who play the game will become mothers who pass it on to their children.

Why do you turn a blind eye to all of the problems facing our game?

Pretending nothing is wrong won't make it true.

MugaB

Coach
Remember what Murdoch said at the press conference for the 2015 AwFuL broadcast deal?

“We’ve always believed this (AFL) is the premium code in Australia – it’s the national game,” Murdoch told reporters on Tuesday.​
“We believe in the strength of the game and we will do everything we can to make it stronger.”​

There's no doubt in my mind that Murdoch and News Ltd see AwFuL winning the war.

Can you blame them for not having any faith in our game?

News Ltd were partners with the ARL between 98 and 12. They dealt with the game and fought against the ARL between 95-98. The intelligence they mustered over those years gives them a huge advantage over us because they know how weak and disjointed our game has been for decades.

My theory is News Ltd are planning on AwFuL generating a strong profile and supporter base in Brisbane and Sydnry. If it succeeds then then they will wave goodbye to our game or just throw chump change at it.

We would be foolish to think it cannot happen. In forty years theyve successfully turned fumbleball into a commonly played sport in Queensland with 25k registered players. You and I do not care for fumbleball, but kids these days don't have the same biases as us.

The school kids who've been raised over the last 20 years don't revere rugby league the same way you and I did when we went to school. The ongoing damage caused by the NSWRL since 1988 created a door for fumbleball to crawl through and it's now thriving, especially amongst girls. Those girls who play the game will become mothers who pass it on to their children.

Why do you turn a blind eye to all of the problems facing our game?

Pretending nothing is wrong won't make it true.
Oh look storm80 has logged of, just in time for grotd to rear its ugly head....
Quick log off, switch alts and reply....

It’s like any expansion team in any sport, including your beloved AFL. Fans switch allegiances when new options become available. For example, Lions in the AFL lost members to the Suns when the Suns came in. That said you know this, you’re just being an idiot about it.

People in Brisbane who follow the Broncos will mostly keep following the Broncos. A small minority will switch. A decent number of NRL fans in Brisbane that don’t follow the Broncos will switch. Next to nobody, except a handful of f**kwits on Internet forums who bitch and moan regardless, will care that they used to come from Redcliffe. Most people will make their decision on the fact that they’re not the Broncos.
I grew up in southern Brisbane in the 80s and 90s then moved to Logan over 20 years ago. I've never seen anyone in Logan wearing Dolphins apparel. I see lots of people wearing Broncos apparel and quite a few Cowboys fans, although Broncos are much more popular. If the Dolphins are to develop a following in Logan then I'm afraid it will take years and require onfield success. I'm not saying they cannot develop a following in Logan, but they don't have one as of yet.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well it was so urgent apparently it meant neither of the Australian games leaders could be in the uk. Being so urgent I’d have expected news by now. Or could it be it was a piss poor excuse not to support the international game after shtting on the World Cup last year?
Let's face it. If he went you'd accuse him of wasting money and not focusing on the negotiations.

You're going to find something to whinge about

Iamback

Coach

The RLPA didn't miss the junket over there, No doubt will enjoy a holiday too now. It takes 2 sides to Tango

Wb1234

Referee
Zero hands

Perth Red

Post Whore
The RLPA didn't miss the junket over there, No doubt will enjoy a holiday too now. It takes 2 sides to Tango
That’s why it made so much sense for neither of them to go, you know given the bloke they really need to be talking to was actually over there lol