What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Canard

Immortal
Every major sports league in the world is "unsustainable" without broadcast revenue.

All clubs success and patronage is cyclical, and if you based there survival on sponsorship and TV ratings for a small window, then the Storm, Cowboys, Warriors, Titans, Knights would all not be in the comp anymore.

That's why I oppose any suggestion of clubs being culled.

MugaB

Coach
Another Day. Another day of Donkey showing he has no idea
Agreed.... one thing you cannot predict is how each team will perform pre season, so when they do or don't, the ratings will fluctuate, again clubs fortunes are cyclical, to cull any of the clubs/brands now, no matter their geographical area, is stupid... to advocate it, is even more stupid

Haha raised on the Gold Coast. So forgive me if I couldn’t give less of a shit about “Moreton Bay” regardless of how you spell it.

Proves my point about rivalry though doesn’t it? Someone raised in Robina just doesn’t rate Moreton Bay enough to even bother to take the time to figure out how to spell it.

But thanks for correcting my spelling. I now know the shit hole that is Moreton Bay, is spelt Moreton not Morton. I ain’t the only Gold Coast or Brisbane person that thinks exactly the same thing about Moreton Bay either by the way.

You left your brain out on the sand. No wonder it's fried.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did it actually do this though

View attachment 68488

The fun fact about this is that while the AFL spends more on development according to its line items, that development funding includes its state and affiliate funding - it does not have to fund SA and WA (although they get several million.

When you factor in State/Affliiate and Development funding for the NRL against Game Development, Development Grants and Community Facilities funding for the AFL, the NRL outspent the AFL by just over 50m since 2018.

the NRL not having an asset base doesnt have a lot to to do with how much it pays the clubs.
clearly compared to 2019 it has! By $25mill Plus another $10mill slashed in player and community welfare

afl also fund a lot of grassroots stuff directly in the club grants, especially for the nsw and qlnd states. but yes states in afl land have more revenue, a lot more, and can fund a lot of it themselves.

what? Nrl spending it’s money on clubs has a direct impact on what it has left to build assets. Just this month we saw a statement of intent to build reserves by the nrl have to then be dropped due to club funding demands!

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
clearly copared to 2019 it has! By $25mill Plus another $10mill slashed in player and community welfare

This 25m you are going on about isnt supported by documentation.

afl also fund a lot of grassroots stuff directly in the club grants, especially for the nsw and qlnd states. but yes states in afl land have more revenue, a lot more, and can fund a lot of it themselves.

academies - about 1m a year are funded through the club grants - most development funding is done by the state body, which is also AFL funded.

what? Nrl spending it’s money on clubs has a direct impact on what it has left to build assets. Just this month we saw a statement of intent to build reserves by the nrl have to then be dropped due to club funding demands!

NRL spending on grassroots would also impact its asset building. Hell NRL spending on everything does. However, the biggest assets the NRL has are its clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore

academies - about 1m a year are funded through the club grants - most development funding is done by the state body, which is also AFL funded.

NRL spending on grassroots would also impact its asset building. Hell NRL spending on everything does. However, the biggest assets the NRL has are its clubs.
It is clearly showing in the annual report
States and Affiliates 2019 $47.94 million 2021 $35.4million
Development 2019 $40.43million 2021 $27.9million
Player and community welfare 2019 $17.1million 2021 $7.2million

thats a cracking argument lol. Dont worry about building an asset base or cash reserve as the clubs are our greatest asset. You sound just like the club chairmen!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
AFL Red the business guru doesn't get that it's not about how much you spend but how you spend it. Come back to us financial genius when you can demonstrate that the NRL hasn't been more efficient in their spending.

And you're way down on your KPIs for mentioning AFL, lol, pokie dens and bless for the month. Improve.

mongoose

Coach

and many of the clubs have their own assets, which is probably a better outcome than the head body having assets

Wb1234

Referee
the entire premise of this question is rubbish.

You cant, but hell, lets see it.

It will amuse everyone to see the mental gymnastics you go through to exclude revenue streams they are perfectly entitled to include.

f**king lol.

North Queensland were 13th

In Sydney, the NRL averaged 157,000 on 9 for the season with R1s Panthers/SeaEagles the top rating fixture for the season at 249,000.

In Brisbane, the NRL averaged 96,000 on Nine with the highest rating game being R19s Eels/Broncos with 167,000 viewers.
South’s ahead of the storm and both grand finalists

and the roosters no where in the picture

glory glory

The_Wookie

Bench
It is clearly showing in the annual report
States and Affiliates 2019 $47.94 million 2021 $35.4million
Development 2019 $40.43million 2021 $27.9million
Player and community welfare 2019 $17.1million 2021 $7.2million

From the Concise reports

YearStates/AffiliatesDevelopmentTotal

I presume that the player welfare spend was reduced in line with the the negotiated pay reductions for 2020-2022

thats a cracking argument lol. Dont worry about building an asset base or cash reserve as the clubs are our greatest asset. You sound just like the club chairmen!

The Commission exists to support its constituent clubs and leagues. Without them, there is no Commission.

He and Canard are allegedly Cowboys fans. I assume both are from North Queensland and don't have an affirmation for Brisbane. It's not uncommon for people from North Queensland to hate Brisbane. There are strong secessionist sentiments in North Queensland as the locals are sick of their wealth flowing to SEQ.

I've encountered some hostility on this board from North Queenslanders who don't want people from Brisbane to support the Cowboys. It's a really dumb and insular mindset as the Cowboys have a lot of support in SEQ that adds value to their brand.

Born in Queensland but haven't lived in it since 1979.

There's no rational reason for you to defend unviable Sydney clubs and talk down expansion in Adelaide and Perth.

Is there anything you don't get wrong?

So far you've claimed the Cowboys are owned by News Ltd, even though it's been pointed out to you that the two parties parted ways in 2007.

You think News Ltd is taking money away from Sydney clubs to prop up the Broncos, even though the annual reports from the Broncos prove the club earns more money from gate receipts, sponsorship and corporate hospitality than any team in Sydney, where as the main source of income for the Sydney clubs is the annual grant from the ARLC.

Now you claim I'm a ticketed member of the Broncos and Lions.

😂
You assume wrong yet again ..
is a bad habit you’ve got.
I’ve lived in SEQ all my life .

you wanna try for 3 stupid assumptions in a row or are you too busy Licking your wounds from Wookie continuously beating the crap out of you with facts .

MugaB

Coach

you wanna try for 3 stupid assumptions in a row or are you too busy Licking your wounds from Wookie continuously beating the crap out of you with facts .
After Wookie uses his favorite Facts to disprove of ye 'Ol donkey on basically anything that twat posts, he'll hand ass to his deadshit alts

.... go you wook!!!

DU5L.gif

MugaB

Coach
South’s ahead of the storm and both grand finalists

and the roosters no where in the picture

glory glory
There's a 2nd picture of 6th-16th
Roosters actually lead that at 6th...
Dont worry, I'm actually surprised too
It might be a case of we want to watch them, and theres heaps of us fans, but we'll do it from the comfy couch...

Screenshot_20221201-122448_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reflector

Juniors

You ever see support for teams apart from the Broncos, Cowboys or Storm up there?

According to somebody else, it's nonexistent in SEQ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
From the Concise reports

YearStates/AffiliatesDevelopmentTotal

I presume that the player welfare spend was reduced in line with the the negotiated pay reductions for 2020-2022

The Commission exists to support its constituent clubs and leagues. Without them, there is no Commission.
nrl annual report.jpg

You're literally confirming what I'm saying, that grassroots funding had a big hole in it last year! Now hopefully its been put back this year and that the NRl reverts back to its strategy post 2017 to increase funding in this area. Fingers crossed!

Storm80

Juniors
Does Western United ring a bell
You seem to have completely misunderstood point.

Are western United and MacArthur 2nd clubs in their respective cities though? Ah that’s right they are the 3rd clubs. And was I praising A-League expansion in Sydney and Melbourne with 3rd clubs? No.

Both Melb City and WSW were each cities second clubs. WSW is actually a better example of how to do expansion right as it’s location and marketing power is focused solely on a defined geographical area with millions of people (West Sydney) which loves football (soccer).

Melb City v Victory is not really based on geographical areas. Buy and large people supported City cause they hated Kevin Muscat or were Man city fans. I think this undermines the Melbourne rivalry, two teams claiming to represent the exact same area. They should have split Melbourne in half with Victory south of the river and City north of the river or vice versa. Or done it east v west. I think A league stuffed up here.

That’s why I specifically gave the example of WSW, arguably the smartest and well executed expansion club in any code. Their brand and marketing power is specifically targeted at people that live in the area, alot with immigrant backgrounds and who are proud to be in Western Sydney.

Moreton Bay and Redcliffe don’t have the clout of West Sydney - I dare say that’s one reason they dropped Redcliffe or Moreton Bay references from the team name, as it don’t have the bravado “West Sydney” people have about their region nor does it appeal to anyone outside of Redcliffe. Brisbanes “west Sydney” is actually South and west which includes Ipswich and Logan.

Branding a second A League team in Sydney “the wanderers”, basing its HQ in Manly or Cronulla, playing the bulk of its games at the SFS and expecting anyone outside of Manly or Cronulla (be it Campbeltown, Parramatta, Ryde, North Sydney, Penrith, Fairfield, Bankstown etc) to switch allegiances to “the wanderers” would have been astoundingly stupid move.

Sure you’ll capture 400k that live in Cronulla or Manly but everyone else in Sydney (5m people) will continue to identify with Sydney FC. You’d be limiting the opportunity for the 2nd franchise to actually grow its brand by lobbing it into Manly or Cronulla when the west of Sydney, where the people are and they don’t like the snobs in “eastern” Sydney, is available.

A 2nd Brisbane team will not be a failure regardless of whether it’s in Ipswich, Stones Corner, Logan or Redcliffe. You could seriously put a 2nd side in Yatala and call them the “meat pies” and it still wouldn’t fail.

The question is which location and brand will be the most successful, both as a club and for the benefit of the game as a whole. That ain’t the Dolphins, it’s the Firehawks.

The dolphins main appeal will always be to those based in Redcliffe, deception bay and to some extent Moreton Bay region - your talking about 460k people right now. Sure it will grow in number over 20 years. But right now that’s a 500k market.

People on Sunshine Coast that have supported the falcons don’t identify with Redcliffe or Moreton bay or the dolphins. They probably more likely to remain Melbourne storm supporters.

Suburbs like Strathpine which is in Moreton Bay area mostly identify with “brisbane” as its 22km from both Redcliffe and Brisbane CBD, so you’ll struggle to convert broncos or other club fans even in Moreton Bay.

Then there’s the issue of limited neighbouring geographic borders. For example:

Penrith v parramatta
Easts v Souths
Souths v St George
St George v Cronulla
Manly v North Sydney
Manly v Newcastle
Wests v Canterbury
Canterbury v St George
Brisbane v Titans
Brisbane v NQ
NSW v QLD
City v Country

Dolphins will have an automatic rivalry with Broncos. But not with Titans. I doubt their rivalry with NQ will match brisbane v Qld. NQ wanna take on the big end of town and stick it to the snobs from Brisbane, not the their little brother down the road.

So dolphins will need to rely on the other rivalries that happen over time due to clubs that aren’t neighbours either due to:

1. poaching each others players (wests v Manly, Manly and Easts v everyone really)

2. where the teams are highly successful up the top of the ladder and/or play off in finals (parramatta v bulldogs, Melbourne v manly, brisbane v canberra, brisbane v St George, wests v NQ, Penrith v Melbourne etc)

3. where the NSW clubs just hate the state the club is from and the team is successful (Melbourne v any NSW club and Broncos v any NSW club).

4. Due to a infamous violent act or brawl on field or between supporters.

So the rivalry with the titans will need to be ground out over the years until they meet in big finals or there’s some players poached or a infamous brawl or violent act occurs. Even then if it’s 14th v 17th on the ladder - who gives a shit?

The overwhelming benefit of Firehawks is it would have split the city in two population wise and geographically (just like WSW) with over 1.1m people for both broncos and Firehawks to market too, would have links inner south suburbs to CBD with great opportunity for sponsorship from big companies and it shares a geographic border with both titans and broncos.

The Firehawks litterally have over twice the amount of people south of the river to market too in comparison to the Dolphins and are 10 min drive from HQ to CBD (corporates) and close to Suncorp stadium.

The icing on the cake is it cuts the AFL expansion into south west Brisbane off at the knees.

It’s a no brainer NRL should have stolen the blueprints for WSW and applied it to the Brisbane2 and got Firehawks in the comp in 2023.

What an essay I’ve delivered. Measured, logical and completely designed to educate the rugby league loving community. What a boost to my ego

Last edited: