What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

You are only counting football based revenue because it doesn't look good for NQ, GC and Storm for that matter.

Clubs are getting the salary cap covered and $5m extra.
That alone covers football expenses

Anything above that is a bonus and can be used to bankroll the shortfall when the wheel turns and clubs are struggling on the field
I don't know what the Titans and Storm generate from non-footballing revenue as they don't release an annual report to the public. Neither club has gaming machines, so they wouldn't be making a huge amount. I think the Storm had assets like hotels, but I coupe be wrong.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the NRL club gets into trouble, Would the Leagues club not bail them out using the assets?
Leagues clubs have underfunded and refused to bail out failing clubs in the past, so why not in the future.

For years Parra had a running battle with their leagues club over funding, and Tweed ended up cutting their losses rather than continue to throw money at the Seagulls. Though not a leagues club, there was a time in the 90s and early 2000s when South Juniors were significantly more wealthy comparatively to Souths football club, but refused to give them grants or loans despite knowing that it'd probably lead to Souths going bust sooner or later.

Some people would argue that some of the current leagues clubs run their NRL sides as cheaply as possible, I've definitely heard people level that accusation at Wests Rosellas for example. I couldn't say whether or not that's a fair accusation in that case though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRL club gets into trouble, Would the Leagues club not bail them out using the assets?
unlikely, if they sell their assets they are out of business. If the nrl club goes bust the pokie dens will still keep taking money. I suppose they could sell off some of their property if it’s not revenue making reliant for the leagues club. Problem is unless you address why the football club is losing so much money then a one off fire sale is unlikely to fix the problem long term

for many years the eels FC were reliant on $5mill a year plus from the LC just to stay afloat, be interesting to see if that’s now turned around with the benefit of the new stadium.

Leagues clubs have underfunded and refused to bail out failing clubs in the past, so why not in the future.

For years Parra had a running battle with their leagues club over funding, and Tweed ended up cutting their losses rather than continue to throw money at the Seagulls. Though not a leagues club, there was a time in the 90s and early 2000s when South Juniors were significantly more wealthy comparatively to Souths football club, but refused to give them grants or loans despite knowing that it'd probably lead to Souths going bust sooner or later.

Some people would argue that some of the current leagues clubs run their NRL sides as cheaply as possible, I've definitely heard people level that accusation at Wests Rosellas for example. I couldn't say whether or not that's a fair accusation in that case though.
Always odd to me when you consider the Leagues Club was created by the footy club to fund the footy club in the first place. Would’ve thought it was in the LC’s charter to fund and support the FC. Never understood the political machinations nor the animosity between the two bodies.

I thought Souths Jnrs V Souths Seniors was a different situation as they were two different and independent businesses. Souths Seniors used to look down Juniors until they grew to be the bigger business.

Iamback

Coach
Always odd to me when you consider the Leagues Club was created by the footy club to fund the footy club in the first place. Would’ve thought it was in the LC’s charter to fund and support the FC. Never understood the political machinations nor the animosity between the two bodies.

I thought Souths Jnrs V Souths Seniors was a different situation as they were two different and independent businesses. Souths Seniors used to look down Juniors until they grew to be the bigger business.

Some clubs have the same board which helps with the friction assuming there are no deadshits on the board that is

Iamback

Coach

Teams want to win, Those days are long gone. We have teams going back to the expense of funding their own 2nd tier side just to seemingly get ahead

That is better, If you are going to include the Pokie revenue ( which is seperate from NRL Clubs) then need to also include assets.
You do realise these figures reflect the value of the assets and not income, right?

They're also depreciating assets, so over time their value will drop and they will require maintenance.

Do you know how much money the Panthers Group generate each year from the $200m worth of assets they have on hand?

Sharks only made $39m from the sale of their land in Wooloware, and most of that was spent on debts and refurbishing their Leagues Club.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Panthers own $200m worth of assets
That includes 2 hotels
The Academy
5 clubs

These assets make money.
this money is constant and not reliant on weather, teams performance and other factors that proposed a can affect memberships and ticket sales
What about the proposed shopping centre ?

Wb1234

Referee

Piggins could’ve sold them to south’s juniors but his ego would never have allowed it

after south’s seniors lc went broke it would’ve meant they never got kicked out imo

south’s juniors is massive

Wb1234

Referee

Dennis Fitzgerald wasted ten million plus on soccer and union teams
What a flop he was

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do realise these figures reflect the value of the assets and not income, right?

They're also depreciating assets, so over time their value will drop and they will require maintenance.

Do you know how much money the Panthers Group generate each year from the $200m worth of assets they have on hand?

Sharks only made $39m from the sale of their land in Wooloware, and most of that was spent on debts and refurbishing their Leagues Club.
you can see how pathetically low the panthers football operations revenue is (Around $11mill pre covid year)
Another reason they could really do with an decent stadium!

9CC461B8-7EBE-490B-ACEF-C5E781105FA3.png

you can see how pathetically low the panthers football operations revenue is (Around $11mill pre covid year)
Another reason they could really do with an decent stadium!

View attachment 68586
The amount the Panthers Group make from leasing buildings to third parties isn't much either. In 2021 it was $1.339m (p31) and they sold $2.01m worth of assets (p35). When added to what they make from football operations pre-COVID it barely matches the annual grant. Cowboys and Broncos make more from gate receipt, merchandise, membership and ticketing.

Cowboys made $19,320,266 from football operations in 2021.

Last edited:
Piggins could’ve sold them to south’s juniors but his ego would never have allowed it

after south’s seniors lc went broke it would’ve meant they never got kicked out imo

south’s juniors is massive
George was an odd man. He was a successful businessman and yet failed to see a massive business opportunity to secure the club’s future. I remember reading an interview where the Juniors president said that Seniors held a real disdain for the Juniors. Think it was at about the time when Tugger was Souths coach.

Wb1234

Referee
George was an odd man. He was a successful businessman and yet failed to see a massive business opportunity to secure the club’s future. I remember reading an interview where the Juniors president said that Seniors held a real disdain for the Juniors. Think it was at about the time when Tugger was Souths coach.
I know Redfern is their traditional base but where souths juniors is is kind of more in the heart of souths territory

and when they won the gf they partied there

Piggins mortgaged his house to help souths out (which he got paid back) but his thinking was just too stubborn

did love his book though his chapter on super league was epic

The Great Dane

First Grade
It is in their charter, but generally it doesn't specify exactly how much... There're always loopholes.

Generally what happens is you get some smooth operators at the leagues club that realise that the footy club is a massive expense that just eats into their profit. Sooner or later the football club comes demanding an increase in their grants to remain competitive, and the smooth operators argue that they give them enough already and that it's not their fault that the club invests that money poorly, then you have a power struggle.

In my experience the leagues club is in the right more often than not frankly... Some of the stories of how clubs have pissed money up against the wall, with the expectation that the leagues club will just bail them out no matter the cost, are truly astounding.