What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
Only seems wise if it's close to minimum wage. We're likely just out there panic-buying the few that will give us the time of day.

This club, I swear...

I guess the question is will it be any better than the joke we trotted out this year. Way too many unknowns to guess either way, but AOB has his excuse lined up already. It's a new team that hasn't played much together.

Jono078

Referee
Reckon we’ve caved into doing this just so we can get him here early?

I honestly don’t see this being any better than us sticking with Ponga at fullback and putting Gamble in halves with Hastings. And there’s no 3-year commitment there and will allow us to hit the market hard again next year.

And like slots said, Pryce will be here next year too.

If Hodgson stays injury free he’d surely be a better option than Miller?

This one really baffles me. Can’t make any sense of it. Even if it’s 3 years on minimum. He could have stayed at the Sharks for that, once he realizes he won’t get as much game time as we promised.

perverse

Referee
This one really baffles me. Can’t make any sense of it. Even if it’s 3 years on minimum. He could have stayed at the Sharks for that, once he realizes he won’t get as much game time as we promised.
Yeah we're going to be paying overs, no doubt about it. Overs and too long. From all appearances we're just in full blown panic mode. Like the high school senior that is trying to fit their major project in the night before it's due.

Jono078

Referee
I said it from the beginning of the pre-season. We had no concrete plan and we were hoping for something to fall into our laps.

Once again a good excuse for AOB to say how late everything came together in the off-season.

Can’t fault Parr too much because of timing, but this decision on Miller is a huge question mark.

perverse

Referee
The team our club thinks it's building:

maxresdefault.jpg

What we've actually got:

CgE6EdkWEAAPQIV.jpg

mozza91

Coach
Taupau is a bit Pete Murray but still has something to offer. Would give him a year and a bench spot.

PhilGould

Bench

How Immortal Andrew Johns delivered English star Will Pryce to Newcastle Knights​

English prodigy Will Pryce has revealed that he grew up studying the game of Andrew Johns and was gobsmacked to receive a call from the Newcastle icon as the Knights worked overtime to lure him to the NRL.

Pryce has agreed a deal to join the Knights from 2024 after Newcastle fended feverish competition to land the 19-year-old, regarded as one of the most exciting prospects to emerge in the English game for years.

Having made the decision to join the Knights, Pryce has set his sights on becoming one of the best players in the game.

“To be honest with you it has probably been one of my lifelong ambitions really,” Pryce said.
“I have always watched the NRL since I was 11 or 12. Me and my dad would get up early in the morning in the UK to watch any big game, the Origin matches.

“It is the occasion, it is the big games, the calibre of players, the coaching you can get over there,. It is the full package really.

“I want to test myself and prove myself against the best.”

BONDI BEACH

Let’s start with Bondi Beach and the famous quote by his rugby league playing father Leon 16 years ago, when he claimed he preferred Blackpool to one of Australia’s most iconic destinations while on tour with England.

The back pages at the time screamed: “Whingeing Pom” and “Beach wail”.

“I have never been to Australia but I have seen the photos of it [Bondi] and obviously my dad is quite well known for that comment.” the 19-year-old English prodigy told News Corp.

“I am sure he was only joking because I have been to Blackpool a fair few times in my life and I don’t think I have ever been there when it was sunny.

“I am looking forward to experiencing the lifestyle.”

Leon Pryce was one of the most gifted players of his generation but he never made the move to the NRL despite interest from Australian clubs.

He urged his son to take the opportunity when it came along.

“When it became quite serious …, he kind of put it into perspective,” Pryce said.

“When he was playing in the early 2000s there were a lot of Australian players who were coming to England in the prime of their careers — Matt Gidley, Jamie Lyon.

“They were playing Super League because it was the best of the best. Obviously now roles have reversed and players are going over there because that is where you want to play — against the best players in the best league.

“He just said if you want to have a real crack at this, at the end of the day every rugby player wants to retire and never work again, but if you want to achieve something great in your career, you want to go where you can do that.

“Go to Australia and test yourself against the best. I want to go over to Australia and spend the rest of my career there.”

THAT CALL

Pryce met Knights recruitment boss Clint Zammit back in February as Newcastle got on the front foot and flew to England to speak to him and his agent Iestyn Harris.

Zammit had already been in talks with Pryce’s Australian-based agent Liam Ayoub but it was the meeting in February that moved Newcastle to the front of the queue.

“I got a chance to meet up with Clint Zammit earlier on in the year – in February,” Pryce said.

“They really sold it to me. The direction the club is looking to go in the next few years and the long term plan … was really interesting to me.

“I got to speak to Andrew Johns, who is one of if not my favourite player of all time. He is looking forward to being able to work with me and that is a big factor why I wanted to go over.

“I want to go somewhere where I feel like it is a home away from home.”

Johns’ call was crucial.

“I was a bit shell-shocked,” Pryce said.

“I was a bit gobsmacked. It was one of those phone calls that take you back a bit. It has been quite a tough journey to get to where I am now,

“There have been a lot of setbacks. Me and my dad have always talked about Joey Johns – he has played against him, he has played the top level and he has always said he has done things in the game that none else has done,

“When you study someone and they are an idol, and then you get a phone cal off them, it feels a bit unrealistic. It was crazy when I received the phone call from him.

“We chatted about the ambitions of the club and his ambitions for the team going forward, the spine in particular.

“Coming in as a spine player and Joey Johns being one of, if not the best … seven of all time, it is a massive thing to get a call from someone like that.”

HIS BEST POSITION

Pryce has the ability to play anywhere in the backline but his long-term goal is to become one of the game’s best five-eighths.

“I have only played 30 first grade games now,” Pryce said.

“I try to be as confident as I can. A dynamic running player — that has always been my game.

I try to make sure I keep that strong and keep my hands on the ball, running it all the time and taking players on.

“I have been able to play in virtually every position in the backline. Doing that at a young age you learn a lot more.

“For me it is about being versatile and being able to play many positions wherever I am needed in the team. Myself, as I am progressing, I want to develop into an all around six or a running standoff.”

Having made the decision to come, Pryce has no plans to leave any time soon.

“Obviously, it is a huge decision,” he said.

“I have made the choice to leave a lot of people behind in England. I am quite a family man. It is obviously a big decision but one I think I can’t really pass up on.

“It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If I passed it up now and didn’t get the opportunity later on, I think I would be pretty annoyed at myself for turning it down.

“Hopefully everything goes well, I will be made to feel at home in Newcastle and stay there.”

macavity

Referee
if it is 3 years, i'd assume its not big money.

So its actually smart. It gives us decent depth for 3 years and wont cost much

this.

they are excited to get a player who can play anywhere in the back line and do a good job at fullback for “bottom of your top 30” money. Also believe 3 years is good business - he is mature and will be a great influence but doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear on the body, 7s isn’t exactly trench warfare.

ryan.a87

Juniors
I don’t get the negativity around Miller on three years……worst case scenario he plays bad and he will be injury cover for Pryce or Hodgson…..best case scenario, he goes good and we have 3-4 genuine fullback options and could even use his speed on the wing and compete for a spot with marzew

Yosh

Coach
Doubt Miller is on more than peanuts surely. I reckon we did offer him first shot at fullback for season 2023, probably got him to sign. I'll wait till we finalized all our outs and ins before making any judgement calls but overall we've already upgraded the squad where it our salary cap looks in better shape too.

Zoidberg

First Grade
So if Pryce is saying he wants to be a 5/8 why are we moving Ponga to the halves for ‘23?
Surely we keep Ponga at fullback and use one of our other umpteen halves to partner Hastings next year, then Pryce in ‘24.

macavity

Referee
So if Pryce is saying he wants to be a 5/8 why are we moving Ponga to the halves for ‘23?
Surely we keep Ponga at fullback and use one of our other umpteen halves to partner Hastings next year, then Pryce in ‘24.

he plays fullback also.

might be a Centre or lock here, who knows.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
There’s a surprising amount of negativity around Miller. I doubt we’ve paid big $$$ for him and I also doubt we’ve made any promises aside from maybe the FB spot for round 1. Players know that the landscape shifts rapidly so I doubt he’d be expecting the FB gig guaranteed to him permanently. Worst case scenario we’re getting a mature aged player who just spent a year at the sharks who came 2nd in the regular season in 2022 and he’s got good pace to boot. Maybe he’s got more to his skill set as well. Either way we’re always complaining about the lack of depth at the club and he would at least improve that situation for us a bit. Solid signing imo.