What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I’ve got a mate who stays up to watch most Liverpool games live (yeh he’s mad).

he doesn’t watch a league

your missing my point

why watch it when it’s such a low standard

you’ve literally got the premier league where clubs are worth 5 billion pounds and you have a league where the clubs are worth basically nothing

then they have to compete with juggernauts like afl and rugby league.

even as a summer sport with no major direct competition from football codes they struggle for attention.

between super rugby and a league one of those comps dies off imo

population wise Penrith and the area around it would be similar to north qld or it will with the population growth underway

Football is the number 1 world sport and in Australia has a higher participation rate than any of the other football codes combined so it is far from irrelevant.

Look at the ratings and the attendance at the live sites for the Men's FIFA Worldcup for instance

No FTA station wanted a bar of the Rugby League Cup.

Of course those other leagues will be of a higher standard as they attract the best players and team owners have long pockets so it is pointless comparing the A-League with such comps.

People dish the NRLW the same way in comparing it with the Men's NRL - "Oh it's Rubbish /not as good as the Men's NRL blah blah blah " - It's not trying to be nor should it be compared with it - Ditto the A-League.

It will interesting to see what happens with Football into the future in both the Men's and Women's spaces - certainly need to increase funding for football from the grassroots through to the National Teams.

Any new grounds being built should be at least 40k minimum capacity as no doubt further bids to host the Men's FIFA Worldcup would be on the agenda so why build boutique rectangle stadiums for one code's usage

Wb1234

Referee
Football is the number 1 world sport and in Australia has a higher participation rate than any of the other football codes combined so it is far from irrelevant.

Look at the ratings and the attendance at the live sites for the Men's FIFA Worldcup for instance

No FTA station wanted a bar of the Rugby League Cup.

Of course those other leagues will be of a higher standard as they attract the best players and team owners have long pockets so it is pointless comparing the A-League with such comps.

People dish the NRLW the same way in comparing it with the Men's NRL - "Oh it's Rubbish /not as good as the Men's NRL blah blah blah " - It's not trying to be nor should it be compared with it - Ditto the A-League.

It will interesting to see what happens with Football into the future in both the Men's and Women's spaces - certainly need to increase funding for football from the grassroots through to the National Teams.

Any new grounds being built should be at least 40k minimum capacity as no doubt further bids to host the Men's FIFA Worldcup would be on the agenda so why build boutique rectangle stadiums for one code's usage
Soccer was around in Sydney before rugby league ever was established

then along came league and squashed it like a bug

then the nsl went bust

now it’s played in summer

soccer will never be big in Australia unless FIFA start spending hundred of millions pa here to match afl and nrl

even then premier league will still be the soccer comp to watch

Wb1234

Referee
You are kinda missing my point too. If the A League is of poor standard, then the Socceroos should have lost all three games at the WC. Heck, should not have qualified for the WC. Most of them started their career in the A League, along with current players.

I'm not saying the A League is of great standard either. Maybe somewhere in between. If people don't want to watch the A League then that's fine. But don't expect Australia to go gangbusters at a world cup like reaching the semis.

Like I said in my previous post, it's up to football administrators to change the narrative.

But anyway, this is a stadium thread. We are off topic. If Super Rugby and the A League die off, then it will be harder for the NRL to get stadium funding. Meanwhile the AFL and cricket work together to get the best possible outcomes for their grounds.
Most of our stadiums are done now lol

wanderers did their bit

if the a league wants to add side in Wollongong Canberra and redcliffe that would help too

Soccer was around in Sydney before rugby league ever was established

then along came league and squashed it like a bug

then the nsl went bust

now it’s played in summer

soccer will never be big in Australia unless FIFA start spending hundred of millions pa here to match afl and nrl

even then premier league will still be the soccer comp to watch
One can say AFL squashed NRL like a bug - Majority of Aus States and Territories overwhelmingly prefer AFL than League - WA/SA/VIC/TAS/NT and AFL is a growing market in NSW/QLD i.e Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions

Football is the World Number 1 sport with real World Cups in both Men's and Women's unlike the manufactured Rugby League WorldCup's that are held.

Have to have special eligibility rules to have one as without them the Rugby League WorldCup would be played Between Australia/New Zealand/ Great Britain and maybe PNG.

League is irrelevant to the massive majority of the world and the majority of the world would never have even heard of it let alone watch it but all the world know what Football is

League with it's very very limited popularity and negligible footprint in the sporting world is one sport which should have a * next to it as in danger of extinction as only found in a small areas of the Oceania /Northern England and France

Wb1234

Referee
One can say AFL squashed NRL like a bug - Majority of Aus States and Territories overwhelmingly prefer AFL than League - WA/SA/VIC/TAS/NT and AFL is a growing market in NSW/QLD i.e Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions

Football is the World Number 1 sport with real World Cups in both Men's and Women's unlike the manufactured Rugby League WorldCup's that are held.

Have to have special eligibility rules to have one as without them the Rugby League WorldCup would be played Between Australia/New Zealand/ Great Britain and maybe PNG.

League is irrelevant to the massive majority of the world and the majority of the world would never have even heard of it let alone watch it but all the world know what Football is

League with it's very very limited popularity and negligible footprint in the sporting world is one sport which should have a * next to it as in danger of extinction as only found in a small areas of the Oceania /Northern England and France
Who cares what happens In Europe or England ?

we live in Australia.

league is wildly popular in Australia.

As is afl and cricket

watching samoa vs Tonga in the league World Cup was pretty excellent tbh

So except for Vic you’re talking about the wasteland states.
there’s more population in Qld & NSW than those other states combined .
as for FLs growing market ..lol
there’s a lot of bullshit put out by afl house .
looks like you buy into it .

If you think Manly, Cronulla, Canterbury and Wests aren't small clubs then explain why they make little money from football operations and have tiny fan bases?

Go on, put your money where your mouth is.

Greenberg asked the Sharks to explain why they shouldn't be relocated to another city when they were in debt.

Can you tell me how soccer become a popular game in every country?

When I asked you to explain how soccer became popular in Asia you said it's played everywhere, which proves you're an idiot. There was a time when soccer was only played in England, yet it spread all around the world in about 50 years.

Care to explain that, or will you just put your tail between your legs and run because that's what you do when you've been owned?
Wookie gave up on debating you because your stupidity did his head in .
every sport has smaller teams …but apparently not in your bizarro world
they should be kicked out according to you in your daily anti SYD rant.
AFL has small teams

soccer does
yet in Rl it’s bad ..real bad .
& as much as you obsess over kicking out teams it ain’t gunna happen .As long as the club has income from other streams they can be as small as they like .
you relocate a team then you piss off the fan base .
& I would not want a transplanted team.
Deep down you know it’s not going to happen yet you rant over & f**king over about it like a broken record .
it eats you up but do you ever ask yourself why you’re laughed at by near everyone on here ..
lol ..
as for soccer
sigh .
Its an easy game to play you. Can use anything as goalposts & can play on any surface ..I’ve seen kids play on roads .
try playing RL on a road.

& once more
Singapore
😂😂😂😂😂

This is why I speak so candidly about expansion into the southern states, New Zealand and southeast Asia while insisting on rationalising Sydney. I know the odds of it happening are remote, but it needs to be spoken about because the game's future will be determined by what it does over the next 20 years. We've got no footprint in 40 percent of the country's metropolitan markets. Our game is as foreign to these markets as American football. This is a huge concern for our game as people travel interstate these days for work and due to real estate prices in the eastern states becoming too unaffordable. Not having a presence in Adelaide and Perth makes us a regionalised sport and difficult to follow for people who don't have Foxtel/Kayo.

Our game runs the risk of becoming a niche sport like rugby union. The media is promoting AFL into the northern states at an increasing rate and giving us less exposure. One of the precursors to a mainstream sporting competition's decline into irrelevance is diminishing media coverage while their main rival increases its marketshare. Think of the growth of the NSWRL in the Brisbane media during the 80s and the eventual death of the BRL, or the NBL in the 90s after the VFL and NSWRL expanded interstate. The NRL won't end up like the BRL, but its attendances and television ratings will stagnate and decline. We're already seeing this to some degree as attendances were larger between 2005 and 2014. Television ratings on Foxtel are going well, but they're down on Ch9. The recent broadcast rights negotiations showed the networks and streaming services prefer AFL over our game and the divide is growing wider.

Kids these days grow up watching domestic competitions from all around the globe. Long gone are the days when people shunned anything that isn't local. Our game tries to hold onto the past with its emphasis on irrelevant "junior boundaries", even though no other sport does it. Our expansion has been halted by its insistence that clubs produce their own juniors. NSWRL fans on this board hate the Roosters and Storm for not being strong in this area and call for the former to relocate to Adelaide. That's the sort of attitude that has held us back.

Wookie gave up on debating you because your stupidity did his head in .

@The_Wookie was caught out lying about what I said by @Maximus and I.

every sport has smaller teams …but apparently not in your bizarro world
they should be kicked out according to you in your daily anti SYD rant.
AFL has small teams

soccer does
yet in Rl it’s bad ..real bad .

While it's true that many sporting leagues have smaller teams, it's dishonest to compare the NRL, AFL and A-League with one another and conclude they are the same. Deep down you know this, hence the reason you didn't bother to provide any evidence to back up your bullshit claim.

Can you prove that the small clubs in all three leagues are in their position for the same reasons?

The smallest clubs in AFL are expansion teams, yet even they're not doing too bad by NRL standards. The smallest AFL club from Melbourne is the North Melbourne Kangaroos, yet their supporter base is larger than many NRL clubs. I've said in the past the Kangaroos should relocate to Tasmania, so don't accuse me of saying AFL should prop up weak clubs from an over saturated market. The AFL wanted to relocate the Kangaroos to Gold Coast 15 years ago.

Financially, the AFL clubs draw more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than most NRL clubs. Every Sydney NRL club draws less revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than the Swans. You're always mocking AFL like a psychotic moron, yet you ignore the fact the Swans are bigger than every Sydney NRL club. Guess what dickhead, an NRL club from a regional city in FNQ that has a population of just 180k draws more revenue from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership than every Sydney NRL club. I made a thread on this subject comparing the annual reports from the clubs to prove it, because unlike you I usually use evidence to back up my statements whereas you make sweeping generations then run off because you're an idiot.

The A-League is struggling. Their problems began when they over saturated Sydney and Melbourne with teams no one wanted. It is also competing with higher quality soccer leagues from overseas for fans. Our game doesn't have to worry about that.

& as much as you obsess over kicking out teams it ain’t gunna happen .As long as the club has income from other streams they can be as small as they like .
you relocate a team then you piss off the fan base .
& I would not want a transplanted team.
Deep down you know it’s not going to happen yet you rant over & f**king over about it like a broken record .
it eats you up but do you ever ask yourself why you’re laughed at by near everyone on here ..
lol ..

I know it's not going to happen anytime soon, but that doesn't mean everyone should bury their head in the sand and not mention the problems it is causing our game. You're f**ked in the head if you cannot see that the Sydney clubs rely on the annual grant from the ARLC to survive. They prop up their meagre returns from football operations with revenue from gaming machines and alcohol. You're incredibly naive if you cannot see there's heavy opposition to gaming machines and it is growing stronger every day. Just like tobacco revenue became obsolete in the 90s, so too will gaming machine revenue when the backlash from special interest groups grows too large for politicians to ignore. The Greens are right onto this issue and their influence in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne ia growing stronger every year.

I don't give a f**k if I'm laughed at on here by a bunch of drunken baby boomer NSWRL fans who want a return to 1982. They don't have the interests of the game at heart because they'll be dead within 20 or 30 years.

as for soccer
sigh .
Its an easy game to play you. Can use anything as goalposts & can play on any surface ..I’ve seen kids play on roads .
try playing RL on a road.

That doesn't explain how soccer made its way from England to every other country long before television was widely available, dickhead.

Try explaining how it made its way from an island in the Atlantic Ocean to every f**king continent before television and the internet was available?

People can only play an "easy game" if they know it exists. There are plenty of people in the world who do not know there's a sport called rugby league, despite having access to television and the internet.

& once more
Singapore
😂😂😂😂😂

Laugh all you like, but if the game wants to survive and thrive it will need to reach new markets. A knuckle-dragging moron like you will never get it.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Most of our stadiums are done now lol

wanderers did their bit

if the a league wants to add side in Wollongong Canberra and redcliffe that would help too

Really? Are Manly, Cronulla, Canberra, Dragons and Penrith suddenly not playing in s***holes? You might even add the Tigers and Bulldogs to the list if they are not going to play at Commbank.

We don’t have enough good (anywhere near enough) rectangular stadiums in this country, let alone NSW. We are in a massive disadvantage compared to the fumblers in that regard.

Really? Are Manly, Cronulla, Canberra, Dragons and Penrith suddenly not playing in s***holes? You might even add the Tigers and Bulldogs to the list if they are not going to play at Commbank.

We don’t have enough good (anywhere near enough) rectangular stadiums in this country, let alone NSW. We are in a massive disadvantage compared to the fumblers in that regard.
Dragons are probably in the best position to play out of a boutique stadium. All they need is one grandstand on the eastern terrace of Wollongong Showgrounds. The other clubs have zero chance of getting a brand new stadium built. Penrith don't have the money to build their own as they took out a $60m loan from Commonwealth Bank to build a hotel.

Wb1234

Referee

Every club isn’t going to get a brand new 300 million dollar ground funded by the govt

melb all of qld and many Sydney clubs have fantastic rectangular grounds

Canberra is the only one that’s missed out and maybe Wollongong and Campbeltown but they don’t have full time teams

@The_Wookie was caught out lying about what I said by @Maximus and I.

While it's true that many sporting leagues have smaller teams, it's dishonest to compare the NRL, AFL and A-League with one another and conclude they are the same. Deep down you know this, hence the reason you didn't bother to provide any evidence to back up your bullshit claim.

Can you prove that the small clubs in all three leagues are in their position for the same reasons?

The smallest clubs in AFL are expansion teams, yet even they're not doing too bad by NRL standards. The smallest AFL club from Melbourne is the North Melbourne Kangaroos, yet their supporter base is larger than many NRL clubs. I've said in the past the Kangaroos should relocate to Tasmania, so don't accuse me of saying AFL should prop up weak clubs from an over saturated market. The AFL wanted to relocate the Kangaroos to Gold Coast 15 years ago.

Financially, the AFL clubs draw more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than most NRL clubs. Every Sydney NRL club draws less revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than the Swans. You're always mocking AFL like a psychotic moron, yet you ignore the fact the Swans are bigger than every Sydney NRL club. Guess what dickhead, an NRL club from a regional city in FNQ that has a population of just 180k draws more revenue from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership than every Sydney NRL club. I made a thread on this subject comparing the annual reports from the clubs to prove it, because unlike you I usually use evidence to back up my statements whereas you make sweeping generations then run off because you're an idiot.

The A-League is struggling. Their problems began when they over saturated Sydney and Melbourne with teams no one wanted. It is also competing with higher quality soccer leagues from overseas for fans. Our game doesn't have to worry about that.

I know it's not going to happen anytime soon, but that doesn't mean everyone should bury their head in the sand and not mention the problems it is causing our game. You're f**ked in the head if you cannot see that the Sydney clubs rely on the annual grant from the ARLC to survive. They prop up their meagre returns from football operations with revenue from gaming machines and alcohol. You're incredibly naive if you cannot see there's heavy opposition to gaming machines and it is growing stronger every day. Just like tobacco revenue became obsolete in the 90s, so too will gaming machine revenue when the backlash from special interest groups grows too large for politicians to ignore. The Greens are right onto this issue and their influence in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne ia growing stronger every year.

I don't give a f**k if I'm laughed at on here by a bunch of drunken baby boomer NSWRL fans who want a return to 1982. They don't have the interests of the game at heart because they'll be dead within 20 or 30 years.

That doesn't explain how soccer made its way from England to every other country long before television was widely available, dickhead.

Try explaining how it made its way from an island in the Atlantic Ocean to every f**king continent before television and the internet was available?

People can only play an "easy game" if they know it exists. There are plenty of people in the world who do not know there's a sport called rugby league, despite having access to television and the internet.

Laugh all you like, but if the game wants to survive and thrive it will need to reach new markets. A knuckle-dragging moron like you will never get it.
I got as far as your first bullshit reply ..
laughed too much .
as for the rest .
you continually rant like you can predict the future .
this will happen..that will happen .
your an obsessive loon .
lol
when you see how much of the world had an English influence it might click how soccer expanded .
singapore lol lol lol

Last edited:
Who cares what happens In Europe or England ?

we live in Australia.

league is wildly popular in Australia.

As is afl and cricket

watching samoa vs Tonga in the league World Cup was pretty excellent tbh
mmm popular in basically 2 states and somewhat in 1 territory and even that popularity is waning - junior and senior clubs folding in city and regional areas and declining participating rates except in the Women's game which is the only growth area

Historical low ratings for the 2022 NRL GF with 2,756,000 tuning in around Australia vs AFL 2.9 Million.

Why do you think the NRL are wanting to play a game in the US for - To give the NRL officials and players a holiday?

They know and understand which obviously you don't that they need to grow the game internationally in New Markets/areas where the money and the population are which is not Tonga , Samoa , Fiji or Cook Islands or it could perish internationally.

Rugby Union is more popular in Tonga , Samoa , Fiji and Cook Islands

Tonga Population - 109 k
Samoa Population - 202 k
Fiji Population - 913 k
Cook Islands Population - 18 k

Even looking at the squads for Tonga/Samoa for instance how many were born in these countries let alone been there and how many local players were in these squads?

It's manufactured the RLWC - They had the opportunity to go to a new market who does play Rugby League in Canada who bid for both the delayed 2021 RLWC and the 2025 RLWC but they missed out.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
mmm popular in 2 states and even that popularity is waning - junior and senior clubs folding in city and regional areas and declining participating rates except in the Women's game which is the only growth area

Historical low ratings for the 2022 NRL GF with 2,756,000 tuning in around Australia vs AFL 2.9 Million.

Why do you think the NRL are wanting to play a game in the US for - To give the NRL officials and players a holiday?

They know and understand which obviously you don't that they need to grow the game international and in sustainable areas where the money and population is which is not Tonga , Samoa , Fiji or Cook Islands or it could perish internationally.
Hey you know nrl is played in Canberra and Auckland don’t you ?

anyway with Australia’s exit from the World Cup you can buy cheap flares now …..happy days!

like I said give me Tonga vs Samoa than a snooze fest like Spain vs Morocco anyday

Hey you know nrl is played in Canberra and Auckland don’t you ?

anyway with Australia’s exit from the World Cup you can buy cheap flares now …..happy days!

like I said give me Tonga vs Samoa than a snooze fest like Spain vs Morocco anyday
mmm a manufactured game at a manufactured world cup vs a True World Cup in which every country plays qualifies to be one of the 32 Countries that play in it - the host country is a automatic qualifier

I can see league going far with people like you supporting it - the head in the sand folk

Colk

First Grade
Every club isn’t going to get a brand new 300 million dollar ground funded by the govt

melb all of qld and many Sydney clubs have fantastic rectangular grounds

Canberra is the only one that’s missed out and maybe Wollongong and Campbeltown but they don’t have full time teams

Never suggested they would nor does every club need one, at least in Sydney.

Nevertheless, what you have said doesn’t essentially reject what I have said. Oval grounds in Australia are world class but there are not that many rectangular grounds which are comparable.

I got as far as your first bullshit reply ..
laughed too much .
as for the rest .
you continually rant like you can predict the future .
this will happen..that will happen .
your an obsessive loon .
lol
when you see how much of the world had an English influence it might click how soccer expanded .
singapore lol lol lol
English influence is the reason soccer is played all over the world?

LOL

You do realise Rugby league is an English sport, yeah?

So how come it's not a world sport?

How do you explain countries that were never part of the British Empire playing soccer?

How come soccer isn't the main sport in Commonwealth of Nations countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the nations of the Caribbean?

Or America, which isn't part of the Commonwealth of Nations but was settled by the British?

Last edited:
Even looking at the squads for Tonga/Samoa for instance how many were born in these countries let alone been there and how many local players were in these squads?
Comrade, I enjoy your posts.
I'd just like to point out to you that by bringing in places of birth and World Cups, and you did on a previous post as well, that the Socceroos in their World Cup had what, 26 players in the squad? I think 13 of them were not born in Australia.
They have chosen to play for Australia.
The same as Tonga, Samoan, Cook Islands, New Zealand, Fiji and all the other nations players chose to play for the countries they had ties to.
The most famous being Harry Souttar, in the Socceroos.

Latest posts