What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New centre of excellence

Coffs dragon

Bench
This is great news & excellent for the Dragons future ✅✅

Our future is definitely in the Illawarra & Kogarah is an important part of our history
Although I’m an old Saints supporter and attended many matches at the old Jubilee, I really believe one base, one ground gives us new blood and hope for a bright future.
I would like to see all matches played in Wollongong and Kogarah used maybe for the local Sharks derby only.
Just my opinion, but I believe we need a strong & unified
heartland.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
While the COE will hopefully add to the club, it will not solve our many problems if we are still performing poorly on the field. We must not forget that alot of other clubs also have or will have a COE so it will not be a selling point that no other club can offer. Maybe the linkage to UoW and education for after the players careers can be used as a selling point to attract talent.

BLM01

First Grade

new centre of excellence in Wollongong coming soon
All I can say is I hope they get the $40m of the govt before March because we likely will have a new treasurer who may kibosh sepnding the dosh

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’ll throw in my 2c

when I get back to Aus, it’s definitely easier to see games at Jubilee, a ground I played at as a young guy in our finals. So I love it.

but- let’s face it, we will be left behind if we try to maintain 2 stadiums. Regardless of what the club say, eventually the decision will need to be made. Once the centre is up and running, I think it’s best we embrace the dragons, with HQ in the gong. Still, we can maybe play the sharkies at Jubilee as already suggested, occasional events and training maybe, associated with the leagues club, but let’s unite as a single club.

We are more than a location!

Parko1310

Juniors
They are the Illawarra Dragons, mediocre from day 1. St George on the other hand won 15 Grand Finals.Why leave the area that made the Saints famous?
Because there's 8 other teams in that area, with one or two possibly going to be relocated at some stage. Most of our juniors are from wollongong too. Plus, the new centre will be in wollongong and at some stage hopefully a new stadium. The future is in wollongong, not in a demographic that doesn't care much for league overall.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Because there's 8 other teams in that area, with one or two possibly going to be relocated at some stage. Most of our juniors are from wollongong too. Plus, the new centre will be in wollongong and at some stage hopefully a new stadium. The future is in wollongong, not in a demographic that doesn't care much for league overall.
Please name me the 8 teams in that area
Please name the teams that are getting relocated at some stage
We Dragons and Illawarra have teams in all junior leagues so therefore split is 50/50 with juniors.
The Illawarra side of the juniors has been getting stacked over the years with any imports that we have signed up, only the last years or so have they decided to stack the Dragons side.
If the future is in Wollongong which is a demographic that cares for League, why did Illawarra basically go bankrupt, why didnt they get full houses when they were a standalone club

Yow

Juniors
Please name me the 8 teams in that area
Please name the teams that are getting relocated at some stage
We Dragons and Illawarra have teams in all junior leagues so therefore split is 50/50 with juniors.
The Illawarra side of the juniors has been getting stacked over the years with any imports that we have signed up, only the last years or so have they decided to stack the Dragons side.
If the future is in Wollongong which is a demographic that cares for League, why did Illawarra basically go bankrupt, why didnt they get full houses when they were a standalone club
This is not having ago at anyone in particular but we are now Saint George Illawarra Dragons since 1999 we are going into 2023 soon time to get over things .My 1st love was always Saints but i embraced Illawarra because we had great players come from there .To some its like when mum told me when i did something wrong you will get a flogging of your father when he gets home i told her dad left 10 years ago i dont think he is coming back

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is not having ago at anyone in particular but we are now Saint George Illawarra Dragons since 1999 we are going into 2023 soon time to get over things .My 1st love was always Saints but i embraced Illawarra because we had great players come from there .To some its like when mum told me when i did something wrong you will get a flogging of your father when he gets home i told her dad left 10 years ago i dont think he is coming back
Bingo.

The JV has been around for longer than the Steelers were around and nearly 25% of the time St George has been around.

For me, I can happily read the books on the golden 11 in a row period and feel as much pride for the dragons as I did for the Steelers.

Can watch old league matches on tv and cheer for st George as well as Illawarra.

the games where they play each other gets confusing though.

kind of like kissing yourself in the mirror*

*give it a go.