What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I'm taking my 90-year-old parents to St Patrick's Cathedral in Parramatta on Sunday morning for a Catholic mass which is especially celebrating wedding anniversaries.
It is an annual event that the cathedral puts on and which mum and dad have been attending for quite a few years now. They are still very religious.
They are 66 years married this year. An amazing achievement.
I'll have to hold their arms to take them not only into the cathedral/church, but to receive communion as well, which is important to them.
As much as I am not so religious these days, don't attend church etc.... I still hold the values they instilled in me as a child.
The least I can do for them now is take them to a day that they most want to attend at church.
And then, somewhere for a really nice lunch afterwards.
Of course, I can't do all this on my own. I've got a couple of my siblings assisting, but not all of them.

I'm really looking forward to it tbh.

Edit. I'm replying to the posts that asked what we were doing this weekend.
How did it all go, Suity?

Suitman

Post Whore
How did it all go, Suity?

It went really well. And thank you so much for asking.
My brother picked them up from Alcatraz and dropped them to the cathedral, where I was already waiting, to get them out of his car and walk them into the church. The mass went well. One of the priests came over to give them communion, so I didn't have to assist them in doing that.
Afterwards, they saw some friends from the old local church from Rydalmere, and had a photo with the bishop which they were mightily chuffed about.
My brother, who was meant to take them back, had a late change of plans and decided to head to Sculptures by the Sea instead, so I was left with taking them back to the nursing home - in my ute! Not an easy task. I carry a small set of plastic steps so they can use them to climb into the seats.
There was no chance that I could take them somewhere nice for lunch - it is just too risky on my own considering their fragile state (I'd hate for one of them to have a fall), so on the way back to Alcatraz, we went to Macca's drive-thru and all they wanted was a large quarter-pounder meal to share. So, I took them back to their room, got some plates from the dining room, cut the quarter pounder in half and shared the chips. I sat there with them and ate the maccas I bought for myself. I'd forgotten how shit that food is. So greasy. Anyway, mum and dad enjoyed theirs.
All in all, they had a really cracking morning. And tbh, I really enjoyed the day as well, despite the moments of stress. It was good for my soul.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
My brother picked them up from Alcatraz and dropped them to the cathedral, where I was already waiting, to get them out of his car and walk them into the church. The mass went well. One of the priests came over to give them communion, so I didn't have to assist them in doing that.
Afterwards, they saw some friends from the old local church from Rydalmere, and had a photo with the bishop which they were mightily chuffed about.
My brother, who was meant to take them back, had a late change of plans and decided to head to Sculptures by the Sea instead, so I was left with taking them back to the nursing home - in my ute! Not an easy task. I carry a small set of plastic steps so they can use them to climb into the seats.
There was no chance that I could take them somewhere nice for lunch - it is just too risky on my own considering their fragile state (I'd hate for one of them to have a fall), so on the way back to Alcatraz, we went to Macca's drive-thru and all they wanted was a large quarter-pounder meal to share. So, I took them back to their room, got some plates from the dining room, cut the quarter pounder in half and shared the chips. I sat there with them and ate the maccas I bought for myself. I'd forgotten how shit that food is. So greasy. Anyway, mum and dad enjoyed theirs.
All in all, they had a really cracking morning. And tbh, I really enjoyed the day as well, despite the moments of stress. It was good for my soul.
I’m glad to hear, mate.
I assume Alcatraz is their nursing/retirement home?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Yes.
I've only started referring to it as that since the pandemic and the extreme lockdowns and number of times we haven't been able to visit them.
I shouldn't be so disrespectful. It is now their home.
Yup. My Grandfather was in one. It was a terrible place to go visit him.

parra pete

Referee
An old school mate of mine, John Boyle, was the 'boss priest' at Parramatta for a long time. John is the son of Parramatta Eels 'legend' Jack Boyle, an all time great Eels administrator, a Life Member, and is recognised with the Jack Boyle Tackling Award trophy at the Club's Annual Presentation Nights.
PS..Onya Suity, bet it meant so much to your mum and dad..66 years married...what a wonderful testament to the love they must have for each other.

Suitman

Post Whore
An old school mate of mine, John Boyle, was the 'boss priest' at Parramatta for a long time. John is the son of Parramatta Eels 'legend' Jack Boyle, an all time great Eels administrator, a Life Member, and is recognised with the Jack Boyle Tackling Award trophy at the Club's Annual Presentation Nights.
PS..Onya Suity, bet it meant so much to your mum and dad..66 years married...what a wonderful testament to the love they must have for each other.

Hi @parra pete Thanks for the kind words re my parents.

I know Fr John Boyle very well actually. Great bloke.
He was the PP at St Bernadette's, Castle Hill for a long time, where my kids went to Primary School after we pulled them out of Hills Grammar because that was such a shite private school.
His sermons on Sundays were hilarious. Geez, didn't he give it to the SMH some Sunday's!!
I never thought I'd see it at church but he had the congregation in stiches some Sunday mornings.
An amazing person.

parra pete

Referee
Hi @parra pete Thanks for the kind words re my parents.

I know Fr John Boyle very well actually. Great bloke.
He was the PP at St Bernadette's, Castle Hill for a long time, where my kids went to Primary School after we pulled them out of Hills Grammar because that was such a shite private school.
His sermons on Sundays were hilarious. Geez, didn't he give it to the SMH some Sunday's!!
I never thought I'd see it at church but he had the congregation in stiches some Sunday mornings.
An amazing person.
I was in the same class as John at Parra marist in 1961. I recommended a couple of players to his Dad, Jack, who visited me in Hay in 1975 to discuss them having a trial. I kept in contact with Jack and his wife Molly for many years, and caught up with John, just a few years ago when he, too, was visiting Hay..Great memories of good fair dinkum people...Do you know another great mate of mine, Robbie Duncan who is a Castle Hill boy and involved in the RSL Club there!!!..(another champion bloke)

Suitman

Post Whore
I was in the same class as John at Parra marist in 1961. I recommended a couple of players to his Dad, Jack, who visited me in Hay in 1975 to discuss them having a trial. I kept in contact with Jack and his wife Molly for many years, and caught up with John, just a few years ago when he, too, was visiting Hay..Great memories of good fair dinkum people...Do you know another great mate of mine, Robbie Duncan who is a Castle Hill boy and involved in the RSL Club there!!!..(another champion bloke)

Nah, don't know him personally although his name rings a bell.
CH RSL strongly support the Castle Hill Rockets FC (soccer) Club where my son played for more than 10 years.

Incorrect

Coach
Limping into the Xmas hols tbh. Some good things happened this year, but overall 2022 has been a 3.5/10 for the Lorensons.
Same same... Been a pretty shitty year tbh. Eels making the GF was a positive, just a pity we happened to have to play probably THE most dominant team of the NRL era in the decider....

Had a couple of close mates lose their fathers to cancer this year which was quite sobering and made me realise I'm lucky to still have my folks around...

Hopefully 2023 finally represents a bright new beginning from the pandemic and we can re-capture normality...