What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Victoria

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
New Club Geelong Sharks

Like this bit in particular:

Club President Michael Bakker said he was taken back by the response of the community and believes the club is laying the foundations for long term success.

“There was a group of us originally saying it’d be good to have rugby league back in Geelong, so I just went and put the feelers out to see what kind of interest there was in the community and all of a sudden it blew up,” Bakker said.

“It’s an exciting time for the club and what makes us different is that we’ve gone in the opposite direction of what other clubs have done in the past,” he said.

“We’ve been lucky enough to have some big-name sponsors come on board while also running development sessions in our schools, all to ensure we are set up for some long term success.

Pneuma

First Grade
Like this bit in particular:

Club President Michael Bakker said he was taken back by the response of the community and believes the club is laying the foundations for long term success.

“There was a group of us originally saying it’d be good to have rugby league back in Geelong, so I just went and put the feelers out to see what kind of interest there was in the community and all of a sudden it blew up,” Bakker said.

“It’s an exciting time for the club and what makes us different is that we’ve gone in the opposite direction of what other clubs have done in the past,” he said.

“We’ve been lucky enough to have some big-name sponsors come on board while also running development sessions in our schools, all to ensure we are set up for some long term success.
NRL Victoria now has a policy of only allowing new clubs into its suburban comps that have juniors as I understand it. This does not apply to their three regional comps. Geelong Sharks are working on a seniors/juniors model and are well supported by nrl VIC. This is a good result.

Pneuma

First Grade
NrRL Victoria ran 4 senior comps this year.
These included the Melbourne competition which had 3 men’s divisions and a women’s division all of which had six teams.
The Murray Cup, located on the NSW border, had 4 men’s clubs and 6 women’s tag teams. This is a reasonably strong comp and flags some success in rugby league fighting back in this region. Clubs are in Wangaratta, wodonga and Benalla.
The Limestone Coast comp is on the SA border and consists of 5 teams from SA and Victoria.
The other comp is in Sunraysia, had a late start due to Covid and looks like featuring 5 Clubs next year.
All positive signs of growth in Victoria.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
NrRL Victoria ran 4 senior comps this year.
These included the Melbourne competition which had 3 men’s divisions and a women’s division all of which had six teams.
The Murray Cup, located on the NSW border, had 4 men’s clubs and 6 women’s tag teams. This is a reasonably strong comp and flags some success in rugby league fighting back in this region. Clubs are in Wangaratta, wodonga and Benalla.
The Limestone Coast comp is on the SA border and consists of 5 teams from SA and Victoria.
The other comp is in Sunraysia, had a late start due to Covid and looks like featuring 5 Clubs next year.
All positive signs of growth in Victoria.
I think it has been a smart move to incorporate the Storm name into some of the competitions names given that it is such a strong brand now. It`s gives all Rugby League players in Victoria a direct connection with a successful Rugby League franchise.

Pneuma

First Grade
I think it has been a smart move to incorporate the Storm name into some of the competitions names given that it is such a strong brand now. It`s gives all Rugby League players in Victoria a direct connection with a successful Rugby League franchise.
Should have done it years ago. League is decimating union in junior ranks by the way. Game of choice for your Pacifika lads in Melbourne particularly out west.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Should have done it years ago. League is decimating union in junior ranks by the way. Game of choice for your Pacifika lads in Melbourne particularly out west.
Yeah the sight of those Samoan fans (celebrating in Melbourne) Samoa making the WC final must have been publicity gold.

Pneuma

First Grade
There were 171 teams participating in Storm junior rugby league competitions across Melbourne last year. This is not inclusive of the 4 senior competitions.
17 clubs fed into the system with a number of female comps for girls over 11.
Bigger clubs had over 20 teams.
The league tag option is used for the younger grades as per national policy.
One club, North west wolves, had to amalgamate with another to manage some administration issues. It will be stand alone this year.
Throw in the newly formed Geelong Sharks and World Cup momentum from Samoan ex pats and there is no reason junior team registration won’t pass the 200 mark this year.
It’s taken some time but the momentum for good growth is there.

Pneuma

First Grade
The Victorian Rugby union, compared to NRL Vic, states that it has 27 Clubs, 240 teams and 20,000 players

If we consider the NRL vic figures of 30 clubs, 210 teams and 4000 players we see an interesting discrepancy.

Taking the Victoria rugby union at their word (and we shouldn’t) the ratio is is over 80 players per team.

This is compared with the NRL vic ratio of just under 20 players per team.

It would appear the Victorian Rugby union is counting any kid seen within a mile of a rugby ground.

Regardless of the usual rah rah bullshit, it is clear NRL vic is on the rise and will overtake union for genuine participation in the near future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems the rugby union calculator has been getting a workout again.
Sadly we no longer have any real reliable data from most codes now most are using "participation" as their public measure rather than registered players. Vic and WA still produce registered player figures for RL thankfully.

Pneuma

First Grade
Sadly we no longer have any real reliable data from most codes now most are using "participation" as their public measure rather than registered players. Vic and WA still produce registered player figures for RL thankfully.
It’s worse than that. I saw a national survey by a high profile organisation that provided participation data from sampling recently that quoted 12500 league juniors in wa and 1400 in the ACT in 2021. We both know the wa data is wrong. The ACT data is worse. There are 33 clubs there and over 6000 participants playing in over 400 teams. That data is easy to find from their club websites off ‘Play Rugby league’.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Must be like the NZ AFL calculator that has 30,000 ”registered players” and there MIGHT be 8 teams.

This means an average of 3,750 players per team. That is a lot of oranges at half-time

Edit: Sorry my mistake, I just did a count on their official site - it might be 16 teams or 1,875 players per side. 10 players for each position,

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
Must be like the NZ AFL calculator that has 30,000 ”registered players” and there MIGHT be 8 teams.

This means an average of 3,750 players per team. That is a lot of oranges at half-time

Edit: Sorry my mistake, I just did a count on their official site - it might be 16 teams or 1,875 players per side. 10 players for each position,
I don’t think anybody takes AFL participation figures seriously. They’ve been caught out lying far too often.

Pneuma

First Grade

Pneuma

First Grade
The player, Daniel Boe, included in the squad is from South Australia. Good news for a comp that is really struggling.