What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Expect a bit of media push back the next few weeks, as both sides tell their stories. The club have already done so with a trusted reporter. Once he signs his camp will do so with theirs. Most likley DT.
Gould will pontificate and will leak to either Weidler or Webster. It will all be spin and bullshit. He has masters and an ego to please too.
CC was in his ear before Nov 1. I will leave it at that. The offer from the Dogs is not as high as some have reported. More than us, but not the offer that was initially hoped for. As @Hooked said they played their hand poorly. They limited their options, and didn't expect us to stand firm.

The whole thing will blow over, and from what I know about him and his family. He will get on with business.
He is not the kind to kick stones.

If the club leaked it then the $750k offer is true, anything short of getting $900k at the Dogs is bad management by Ayoub

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
I’d throw the kitchen sink at Leniu

I like Spencer a lot, but why would you? We aleady have 2 Forwards on Elite money (JFH and Yeo) and two others on 'good' coin' in Leota and Martin. Spencer still hasn't proven that he can be used in more than short bursts and still be effective.

I hope we keep him, but it has got to be value for money. The days of us desperately throwing money around to keep and attract talented players should be over.

I’d throw the kitchen sink at Leniu
That would be stupid and the way you get yourself into trouble, salary cap wise.

Whatever happens with another player, you need to pay each player what they are worth; you still need to pull together a high quality squad of players. Because overpaying for Spencer means les money next year when other come up to resign.

Munky

Coach
Spencer was incredibly disappointing in the middle year test vs the Cook Islands.

Had good minutes against park footballers and didn't look a dominant prop at all.

Him running full speed sixty minutes in against gassed defences is a sight that will never not be awesome.

However we need to see what happens when he is the tired forward defending a rampaging benchie.

Pantherball is defined by effort areas under fatigue. JFH and Yeo make the tackle and quickly move to marker or back to the line. I did notice vs Souths late in the regular season Spencer did get caught out a few times in the ruck.

I can only assume that Ivan doesn't trust him in the effort areas just yet. I hope he gets there (with us) as the nearest comparison is Roy Asotasi who was an absolute weapon with his size, acceleration and footwork.

Also, the Spencer Sorro one two punch off the bench has been absolutely dynamic in recent seasons.

Iamback

Coach
Spencer was incredibly disappointing in the middle year test vs the Cook Islands.

Had good minutes against park footballers and didn't look a prop at all.

Him running full speed sixty minutes in against gassed defences is a sight that will never not be awesome.

However we need to see what happens when he is the tired forward defending a rampaging benchie.

Pantherball is defined by effort areas under fatigue. JFH and Yeo make the tackle and quickly move to marker or back to the line. I did notice vs Souths late in the regular season Spencer did get caught out a few times in the ruck.

I can only assume that Ivan doesn't trust him in the effort areas just yet. I hope he gets there (with us) as the nearest comparison is Roy Asotasi who was an absolute weapon with his size, acceleration and footwork.

Also, the Spencer Sorro one two punch off the bench has been absolutely dynamic in recent seasons.

I don't see him as a starter yet for those reasons

Does it matter if Spencer doesn’t start? He is having a really big impact off the bench and is helping us win games.

He can still get paid well coming off the bench, commensurate with his contribution to the only stat that really matters; team wins. Suggesting that different roles have natural ceilings of salary smacks of a lack of imagination.

Iamback

Coach
Does it matter if Spencer doesn’t start? He is having a really big impact off the bench and is helping us win games.

He can still get paid well coming off the bench, commensurate with his contribution to the only stat that really matters; team wins. Suggesting that different roles have natural ceilings of salary smacks of a lack of imagination.

Tell that to him

Kilkenny

Coach
it is interesting that our fan base kind off accepted the losses of Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau as just part of the business of the NRL salary cap and on field success.

the Stephen Crichton situation is entirely different and clearly is polarising fan opinions.

Ironically I guess, I don’t see losing Stephen Crichton anywhere near as detrimental to our chances of success in 2023 as with Api and Viliame.

I have no idea of the contract negotiations, no idea of the issues behind the scenes, but I can’t help feeling we were played by Stephen and or his management team.

While his contract situation dragged on and on I think most reasonably minded fans were aware of where it was heading and where Stephen was heading.

As I’ve said, wish him well, just kind of wish he could have been more transparent much earlier in the piece when it was all rather obvious he was going to move on.

Im glad it is settled, not before time.