What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
it is interesting that our fan base kind off accepted the losses of Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau as just part of the business of the NRL salary cap and on field success.

the Stephen Crichton situation is entirely different and clearly is polarising fan opinions.

Ironically I guess, I don’t see losing Stephen Crichton anywhere near as detrimental to our chances of success in 2023 as with Api and Viliame.

I have no idea of the contract negotiations, no idea of the issues behind the scenes, but I can’t help feeling we were played by Stephen and or his management team.

While his contract situation dragged on and on I think most reasonably minded fans were aware of where it was heading and where Stephen was heading.

As I’ve said, wish him well, just kind of wish he could have been more transparent much earlier in the piece when it was all rather obvious he was going to move on.

Im glad it is settled, not before time.

They were sorted out quickly and with less drama, After the handshake drama last time. I get that it left a bad taste

MugaB

Coach
The Bulldogs have signed Kikau Burton Mahoney TPJ the pommie front rower and probably Chrichton to big contracts. They really need a gun 7. This has all the hallmarks of another salary cap mess. Will they ever learn?
Probably not, but there is a method to gus's madness, get the dogs somewhat competitive, or atleast relevant, then offload the expensive deadwood to pawwa, dragons etc with a few years to go on their contracts, until the Canterbury juniors, start replacing them for cheaper options.... he did it at the Panthers, can't see why it won't work at the dogs in 4-5 years time

Iamback

Coach
The Bulldogs have signed Kikau Burton Mahoney TPJ the pommie front rower and probably Chrichton to big contracts. They really need a gun 7. This has all the hallmarks of another salary cap mess. Will they ever learn?

Nope, Their board can be voted out on a whim so will keep making the same mistakes and is glorious to see

MrBlack

Juniors
Probably not, but there is a method to gus's madness, get the dogs somewhat competitive, or atleast relevant, then offload the expensive deadwood to pawwa, dragons etc with a few years to go on their contracts, until the Canterbury juniors, start replacing them for cheaper options.... he did it at the Panthers, can't see why it won't work at the dogs in 4-5 years time

Its a classic Gus five year plan......

Rinse and repeat what he did here, only thing is we had a massive untapped junior league

Only problem is that no-one (ever) wins a comp without a marquee halfback and there is no way I can envisage Flanagan jnr holding up the trophy.

Crightons money would have been better spent going "all in" for M Moses

Iamback

Coach

Rinse and repeat what he did here, only thing is we had a massive untapped junior league

Only problem is that no-one (ever) wins a comp without a marquee halfback and there is no way I can envisage Flanagan jnr holding up the trophy.

Especially after dropping $800k and each backrowee

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

3.3 million + is probably about 825,000 a year for a bloke who might make fullback, but at this stage is a far better centre.

Long term deal too. Has a Blake, RCG ring to it doesn't it ?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
A star studded line-up for sure, but geez they're going to have to fill in the gaps with some absolute nuffies.

In my humble opinion. The team is been built by a kid with his first pay check. No workers, you know the hard as nails grafters, and basically just glitter and fro fro players....the flash.

Be fascinating to see this works out. How will Kiks manage when he has to do loads more grunt work. Same with Crighton next year. What are his orgainising defence lines like ?

Pantherjim.

Referee

Except he never really did that with us?

I can’t even recall the last time we actually paid for a marquee player from another team since Petero Civoniceva

mxlegend99

Referee
It's actually more than $825k a season. If they have to waste a roster spot on his brother, it's $940k a season and losing a top 30 spot.

But the Bulldogs have sacked Christian before. They know how shit he is. Still happy to sweeten the deal for Stephen by giving him a spot.