What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Canard

Immortal
I know what your talking about

they don’t get those huge ratings from new viewers in Melbourne

that’s where having a club in Melbourne is key

to grow ratings in their home market

On what basis can you claim this on?

Wb1234

Referee
On what basis can you claim this on?
We don’t have exact figures but it probably under 100k from Victoria at best

like the swans and lions

I would suggest a lot were from qld since the qld sides were average for a while and they were basically the 4th qld side

Pneuma

First Grade

like the swans and lions

I would suggest a lot were from qld since the qld sides were average for a while and they were basically the 4th qld side
The problem with quoting fta viewers for NRL is that our viewership relies far more than afl on fox/kayo. Simply pointing at fta figures doesn’t do justice to potential viewing numbers in Melbourne. A couple of years ago sharks v storm got 480000 on fox. That’s massive. We need the Wookie to fill us in but I’m sure the storm are at the top somewhere. Walk around Melbourne these days in game day and you’ll see storm gear regularly. Same with swans in Sydney. Both clubs are now part of the city culture. That can’t be bad.

Wb1234

Referee
The problem with quoting fta viewers for NRL is that our viewership relies far more than afl on fox/kayo. Simply pointing at fta figures doesn’t do justice to potential viewing numbers in Melbourne. A couple of years ago sharks v storm got 480000 on fox. That’s massive. We need the Wookie to fill us in but I’m sure the storm are at the top somewhere. Walk around Melbourne these days in game day and you’ll see storm gear regularly. Same with swans in Sydney. Both clubs are now part of the city culture. That can’t be bad.
Swans tv ratings in Sydney have collapsed

they used to be over 200k now it’s under half and some games less than 80k

they used to get shown live on sevens main channel now they got punted to the minor channel

I would say for some games their crowds exceed their tv ratings in Sydney lol

Pneuma

First Grade

they used to get shown live on sevens main channel now they got punted to the minor channel

Possibly but interestingly their fox numbers are usually higher than other afl clubs, not that this is a lot to boast about given how poorly afl rates on fox compared to the NRL.

Canard

Immortal

like the swans and lions

You and your cohort seem to twist yourselves in knots to downplay the Storm's success in the most parochial sport (AFL) city in Australia

Iamback

Coach
I don’t understand what you are saying. Are you saying that a Perth side becoming as popular as the Storm would be a bad thing or that it is all too much effort?

What metric are you classing them as a success? What metric do you expect team 18 to excel in?

Canard

Immortal

Possibly but interestingly their fox numbers are usually higher than other afl clubs, not that this is a lot to boast about given how poorly afl rates on fox compared to the NRL.

Fox/Kayo showing every game live about 10 years ago is what collapsed FTA viewing figures.

If you live in an outpost area, you get Fox/Kayo so you can watch every game your team is involved in.

Wb1234

Referee
You and your cohort seem to twist yourselves in knots to downplay the Storm's success in the most parochial sport (AFL) city in Australia
I don’t have a chip on my shoulder wrt to afl and am desperate for any kind of evidence afl fans will like rugby league

the storm haven’t changed the game in a way which has led to major tv deals

despite their lack of success the expansion into nz was far more successful for the game

and that’s just one example of successful expansion

Canard

Immortal
I don’t have a chip on my shoulder wrt to afl and am desperate for any kind of evidence afl fans will like rugby league

the storm haven’t changed the game in a way which has led to major tv deals

despite their lack of success the expansion into nz was far more successful for the game

and that’s just one example of successful expansion

Why haven't the Storm changed the game in terms of TV? On what basis do you claim that? Aren't you the plonker that's been arguing for months that the FTA deals were the same?

Why have the Warriors been "more successful"?

Pneuma

First Grade
Fox/Kayo showing every game live about 10 years ago is what collapsed FTA viewing figures.

If you live in an outpost area, you get Fox/Kayo so you can watch every game your team is involved in.
And disdain for channel neins coverage!

Wb1234

Referee
Why haven't the Storm changed the game in terms of TV? On what basis do you claim that? Aren't you the plonker that's been arguing for months that the FTA deals were the same?

Why have the Warriors been "more successful"?
Junior development in nz by the warriors
Large number of kiwi players in other nrl sides
Nz wc success
Sky nz tv deal

the warriors are a sustainable club with fans who stick around in good times and bad.

and produce their own players

Wb1234

Referee
Here are the sides added to the nswrl or arl or nrl since the 80s and survived

Canberra
Newcastle
Broncos
Titans
Warriors
Cowboys
Storm
Dolphins

guess who ranks last in terms of benefits to the game

Canard

Immortal
Junior development in nz by the warriors
Large number of kiwi players in other nrl sides
Nz wc success
Sky nz tv deal

the warriors are a sustainable club with fans who stick around in good times and bad.

and produce their own players

I'd argue that most of that is because of NZRL in a RL stronghold and the Warriors role in it was only partial at best.

The Warriors going broke several times isn't a great argument for there sustainability either.

Your last point seems to claim that Storm fans haven't stuck with the team over the last 25 years, based on what?

Canberra
Newcastle
Broncos
Titans
Warriors
Cowboys
Storm
Dolphins

Only in your cock eyed view of the world

Pneuma

First Grade
What metric are you classing them as a success? What metric do you expect team 18 to excel in?
I’ll answer that:
1. It’s the National Rugby League. It’s nice to have a team in each major state to validate the name;
2. Offering the code to more kids to play - participation.
3. Money- the place is loaded and will be the beneficiary of massive renewable energy projects over the next twenty years. Population growth will be significant and the opportunity to grow the game significant. Watch this space. It’s about to happen in the Hunter and North Queensland as well by the way. Renewable energy is a run away train of economic opportunities as coal and oil are petering out as energy options.
4. Justice. Perth Reds grief is real and the Reds should never have been chucked. Doesn’t justify his anti Sydney agenda though.
5. The potential playing base there is real and with union falling over itself to be incompetent, it’s there for the taking.
There endeth the lesson.

Pneuma

First Grade

Canberra
Newcastle
Broncos
Titans
Warriors
Cowboys
Storm
Dolphins

I actually don’t know?

Wb1234

Referee
I'd argue that most of that is because of NZRL in a RL stronghold and the Warriors role in it was only partial at best.

The Warriors going broke several times isn't a great argument for there sustainability either.

Your last point seems to claim that Storm fans haven't stuck with the team over the last 25 years, based on what?
Only in your cock eyed view of the world
Go on then

you tell me which other expansion team ranks behind them in terms of what they’ve brought back for the game

even the titans come ahead of them

Canard

Immortal
Go on then

you tell me which other expansion team ranks behind them in terms of what they’ve brought back for the game

even the titans come ahead of them

TV ratings
Crowds
Members
Junior Development in non RL areas

Mmmm, let me think?