What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
That quote you posted is saying that it was a proposal put forward by Ayoub for the $800,000, a car and the ratchet clause. Not by the Panthers.

In the article by Chammas, he says the new Panthers offer was around $750,000.

So Crichton has not signed for less than he could of got by excepting the Panthers new offer.

Read the part before I quote it says our offer then both parties left it until after Origin.
That was $700k offer the $750k was the deal we never got to put in with him

I found this surprising. This young Bronco spat his dummy because the Bronx wanted him for hooker or lock but he demanded his 5/8 spot. What happens to Burton? Does this young man make a goose of his demands and do what Gus tells him? Do they move Burton to lock?

A very strong Bulldogs team building. My opinion is their success will come quick but it will be fleeting without substantial junior development.
Maybe Burton goes to half. Not sure I see it, but it is a strange signing (this young kid from the Broncos).

I’m not sure I see the Dogs being that great this year. The backs (outside JAC) don’t fill you with dread, while the middle rotation looks one of the weaker in the league. I think Burton is still a few years away from being a top notch half (if he ever gets there; my opinion but I have said a few times he needs to take some risks and widen his game). The back row will be good when in good ball positions and 2021 Mahoney is one of the best hookers in the game (but it seemed that in 2022 teams worked out that if you make him make a lot of tackles it blunts his effectiveness; why a pro athlete smokes I will never know). My view is they don’t make a 2023 8; of the teams that didn’t make it I feel the Broncos, Manly and maybe even the Tigers are more interesting bets. No team in the 8 last year looks to have become materially worse with the exception of the Storm, who are maybe 1 to 2 bad injuries away from sliding out of the 8.

Does it improve in 2024; Critta will make a difference (more guaranteed at centre than FB) and the wildcards are how Xerri comes back and Burton develops. But it is possible to see they are 1 to 2 middles away from being strong.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Maybe Burton goes to half. Not sure I see it, but it is a strange signing (this young kid from the Broncos).

I’m not sure I see the Dogs being that great this year. The backs (outside JAC) don’t fill you with dread, while the middle rotation looks one of the weaker in the league. I think Burton is still a few years away from being a top notch half (if he ever gets there; my opinion but I have said a few times he needs to take some risks and widen his game). The back row will be good when in good ball positions and 2021 Mahoney is one of the best hookers in the game (but it seemed that in 2022 teams worked out that if you make him make a lot of tackles it blunts his effectiveness; why a pro athlete smokes I will never know). My view is they don’t make a 2023 8; of the teams that didn’t make it I feel the Broncos, Manly and maybe even the Tigers are more interesting bets. No team in the 8 last year looks to have become materially worse with the exception of the Storm, who are maybe 1 to 2 bad injuries away from sliding out of the 8.

Does it improve in 2024; Critta will make a difference (more guaranteed at centre than FB) and the wildcards are how Xerri comes back and Burton develops. But it is possible to see they are 1 to 2 middles away from being strong.
That smoking is going to shorten his NRL career if he doesn't stop

Kilkenny

Coach
There two starting centres this season are considered young guns in the making. Can’t say I really watched either of them too much last year but they are considered serious talents.

Kilkenny

Coach

I’m not sure I see the Dogs being that great this year. The backs (outside JAC) don’t fill you with dread, while the middle rotation looks one of the weaker in the league.

I don’t know, Ryan Sutton, Luke Thompson and TPJ at his best are a pretty decent middle rotation.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Let's play a game and add up the dogs salary cap spent on players for 2023. I'll guess ball park numbers.

--TPJ 800k
-Kikau 900k
-Mahoney 800k
-JAC 600k
-Burton top up 600k
-Sutton 600k
-Pommy prop 700k at least
That's 5.5 mill on 7 players?? Who else can we add? Got 23 other players to make up the rest.

Did see they're looking at Young from Knights today for 2024 where they add Critter and possibly others including Spencer.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
They've also signed on 8 others from different clubs including Davey who would have landed a decent amount around the 300 to 400k mark to shift over

Kilkenny

Coach
Let's play a game and add up the dogs salary cap spent on players for 2023. I'll guess ball park numbers.

--TPJ 800k
-Kikau 900k
-Mahoney 800k
-JAC 600k
-Burton top up 600k
-Sutton 600k
-Pommy prop 700k at least
That's 5.5 mill on 7 players?? Who else can we add? Got 23 other players to make up the rest.

Did see they're looking at Young from Knights today for 2024 where they add Critter and possibly others including Spencer.
If you look at there roster for this season, not including those you have mentioned, there are quite of a few, probably more than a few in that 300-500k bracket.

there will have to be a lot sacrificed in 2024 to get everyone under the cap for 2024. Albeit quite a few off contract so just not resigned including Luke Thompson Whose deal is reportedly closer to $800 than $700.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
If you look at there roster for this season, not including those you have mentioned, there are quite of a few, probably more than a few in that 300-500k bracket.

there will have to be a lot sacrificed in 2024 to get everyone under the cap for 2024. Albeit quite a few off contract so just not resigned including Luke Thompson Whose deal is reportedly closer to $800 than $700.
I feel like this season they're over the cap. Ain't no way they're under the cap as it stands for 2023 as is? I forgot Flano is on like 700k this year

GowersDallyM

Juniors
The salary cap does just up 25% tho so that has probably saved them... us on the other hand must have some spare cash for this season and next?

I don’t know, Ryan Sutton, Luke Thompson and TPJ at his best are a pretty decent middle rotation.
Doesn’t strike fear into me, but I could be wrong. Hope I am really; despite the Panthers signings, I am really hoping that the dogs turn the corner and start doing well. I am just dubious.

And I love TPJ as a player; just see him as either a wider player or a 20-30 minute impact prop; just not what I feel the dogs really need. Hopefully they realise this and we can get him cheap at some stage with the dogs throwing lots of freight.

Kilkenny

Coach
Doesn’t strike fear into me, but I could be wrong. Hope I am really; despite the Panthers signings, I am really hoping that the dogs turn the corner and start doing well. I am just dubious.

And I love TPJ as a player; just see him as either a wider player or a 20-30 minute impact prop; just not what I feel the dogs really need. Hopefully they realise this and we can get him cheap at some stage with the dogs throwing lots of freight.
Despite the baggage, every club would crave a TPJ at his best. He has few equals for impact, off loading, dragging three four players into the tackle contest. Assuming the Dogs are much more competitive in 2023 I would expect TPJ to be getting somewhere near his best.

Iamback

Coach

Most seem to be on development deals this year into FT next year, Seems either cheap or expensive. No inbetween

Iamback

Coach

I said to a mate on Thursday, If you have them pinned in the own goal line. Who does the hard work to get it out? It is the biggest thing they lack is that mid level player

Despite the baggage, every club would crave a TPJ at his best. He has few equals for impact, off loading, dragging three four players into the tackle contest. Assuming the Dogs are much more competitive in 2023 I would expect TPJ to be getting somewhere near his best.
I’d love TPJ back at Panthers.

His impact during his short tenure, with the try against the Tigers and the way he handled Welch in the Preliminary Final amongst his highlights, went a very long way in being a contributing factor to our 2021 premiership.

Kilkenny

Coach
A TPJ - Lenui swap deal is not as silly as it sounds.

Sure TPJ would involve increased cost so not sure whether we could fit him in but if Spencer is determined to leave it could be worth exploring.

TPJ has a brother at the Dogs in the juniors,at least last season anyway, he was at our ground watching him.