What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

mongoose

Coach
Youve go

interestingly those disadvantaged clubs we are talking about, the likes of Newcastle, Auckland, cowboys, sharks, canberra etc have only had very fleeting one off successes in the last 30 years.

Not surprisingly those clubs with the money and or jnr bases or in Sydney for player attraction are the ones who’ve had regular success in the premiership race.
so yeh if you’re a Newcastle fan and happy with one gf every 30 years or so then it’s working fine!
wasn't Penrith one of those disadvantaged clubs though? they've just won back to back premierships and don't look like slowing down... no concessions given. I think the Knights and Warriors have some serious cultural issues more so then natural disadvantages. I don't see any barriers stopping them from replicating what Penrith has done. As for the others the Cowboys and Sharks have just had great seasons. Raiders make the finals a lot but can't seem to push themselves up into that premiership contender bracket, except for 2019...

Pneuma

First Grade
wasn't Penrith one of those disadvantaged clubs though? they've just won back to back premierships and don't look like slowing down... no concessions given. I think the Knights and Warriors have some serious cultural issues more so then natural disadvantages. I don't see any barriers stopping them from replicating what Penrith has done. As for the others the Cowboys and Sharks have just had great seasons. Raiders make the finals a lot but can't seem to push themselves up into that premiership contender bracket, except for 2019...
2019? I’ll never get over that one. I’m a sharks fan as you know but my heart dropped when that call was made. Such a great game utterly ruined.

mongoose

Coach
2019? I’ll never get over that one. I’m a sharks fan as you know but my heart dropped when that call was made. Such a great game utterly ruined.
took a while to get over that one but when I re-watched the game we still had chances to win it which we didn't take and The Roosters took their chances.

MugaB

Coach
You don’t think panthers advantage of massive jnr base and recent revenue turn around are key factors? Whilst most clubs can do much better in revenue generation not every club will have close to the advantages panthers have by chance in their population which has led to the growth of jnr participation. Or maybe all nrl clubs should offer PI’ers incentives to buy houses in their areas lol.
Well yeah, but it wasn't just gifted to them day dot, been in the competition for over 66 years, only after their first 24 years did they make a GF then win a comp year after, then the 2nd 12 years after that, then nothing until now back2back, all with no concessions,
All teams have had to go thru any of that, (except the merger teams, wests, dragons, eagles, but they weren't start up expansions...)

Your logic that the NRL team needs to win a GF or make finals 1st year to be relevant is useless, they just need to not be perennial wooden spooners over the next 3-5years, which history showed that most expansions were either 2nd last or last in this comp...

..so nothing is stopping Newcastle Knights or Auckland Warriors from being a similar set up as Penrith, most teams are trying to copy the format of the acedemy style setups, that the panthers copyied from the bronx, any club can invest in junior development and do what the Panthers have done, they are just too impatient to stick at it for 5-10 years, like Penrith did..

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Well yeah, but it wasn't just gifted to them day dot, been in the competition for over 66 years, only after their first 24 years did they make a GF then win a comp year after, then the 2nd 12 years after that, then nothing until now back2back, all with no concessions,
All teams have had to go thru any of that, (except the merger teams, wests, dragons, eagles, but they weren't start up expansions...)

Your logic that the NRL team needs to win a GF or make finals 1st year to be relevant is useless, they just need to not be perennial wooden spooners over the next 3-5years, which history showed that most expansions were either 2nd last or last in this comp...

..so nothing is stopping Newcastle Knights or Auckland Warriors from being a similar set up as Penrith, most teams are trying to copy the format of the acedemy style setups, that the panthers copyied from the bronx, any club can invest in junior development and do what the Panthers have done, they are just too impatient to stick at it for 5-10 years, like Penrith did..

Matt Cameron actually gave Webster the blueprint we used to copy

Wb1234

Referee
Lots of predictions on social media the dolphins will get the spoon

if they do I feel it will hold back expansion

covid meant they didn’t get a decent amount of time to recruit

Perth should get 2 but probably more like 3 years to sort out their roster

Gobsmacked

Bench

A Wayne Bennett team getting to spoon...🤣🤣🤣
These anonymous social media keyboard warriors are betting against the greatest coach and Rugby League brain the game has ever seen...
Good luck with that.

mongoose

Coach

I think Dragons, Titans, Knights and Warriors are all in the mix....

I can see the Dolphins starting the year strong but will fade deeper into the season

Gobsmacked

Bench

I can see the Dolphins starting the year strong but will fade deeper into the season
I think the Knights are in real trouble. A coach under pressure and low on confidence, pushing Ponga into the halves could either spark a revival or completely backfire. He could fail to fire there or get injured. The team as a whole were struggling big time, the Siafiti boys have peaked also..
I tip the Knights for the spoon.
Maybe Kalyn asks for a release...😳

MugaB

Coach
I think the Knights are in real trouble. A coach under pressure and low on confidence, pushing Ponga into the halves could either spark a revival or completely backfire. He could fail to fire there or get injured. The team as a whole were struggling big time, the Siafiti boys have peaked also..
I tip the Knights for the spoon.
Maybe Kalyn asks for a release...😳
He had the chance to play under Bennett

Iamback

Coach

Knights are a special for the spoon, Dolphins will sit around 10th when the year ends

MugaB

Coach
Knights are a special for the spoon, Dolphins will sit around 10th when the year ends
People underestimate how good Sean O'Sullivan is, Penrith machine never missed a beat, while chin was away, thats not just due to an awesome roster, its due to a very competent halfback, we always struggled during the origin period, last season was the first time the team won thru it...
Pretty sure tge Dolphins beat more than half the comp... Dragons, Knights, Tigers, Broncos, Manly, Auckland, Titans, Bulldogs... they can win verse those teams... then you got Parra who i predict are going to drop if they jag that they'll be higher than 9th and in the finals

Latest posts