What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You think dolphins are more of a competitive threat than firehawks would have been? they are only part timers in the city.
There’s a reason news ltd choose them
I loved the Firehawks bid and the Brisbane Tigers are a great club that will get their chance, but yes, the Dolphins were the better bid choice and the Broncos have a footballing and financial giant on their hands to tussle with. They are financially stronger and they are not a copy paste of the Broncos. This is the genius of the Dolphins appointment.

They will play the majority of their games at Suncorp building a city-wide fan base initially (who knows 15 - 20 years) and then, once their brand is built up and well established, I have no doubt as soon as they get the chance they will get a 25 - 30k stadium built at Redcliffe and go back to their traditional base and represent a different area than the Broncos (spreading teams out across SEQ so they don't overlap).

The NRL are learning the lessons from Sydney, we don't want a Firehawks doing the exact same thing for the game the Broncos are doing. If the NRL has an eye on another SEQ team in the South-West/Ipswich in the future the clubs are perfectly spread apart to cover all corners of a region that is rapidly growing in population.

We see some of the better suggestions for Sydney's congestion is to spread teams out (Dragons to Wollongong, Tigers to Campbelltown, Roosters spread to North Sydney, Rabbitohs spreading further west. Brisbane expansion is being planned with this in mind not to create the same problems.

Wb1234

Referee
I loved the Firehawks bid and the Brisbane Tigers are a great club that will get their chance, but yes, the Dolphins were the better bid choice and the Broncos have a footballing and financial giant on their hands to tussle with. They are financially stronger and they are not a copy paste of the Broncos. This is the genius of the Dolphins appointment.

They will play the majority of their games at Suncorp building a city-wide fan base initially (who knows 15 - 20 years) and then, once their brand is built up and well established, I have no doubt as soon as they get the chance they will get a 25 - 30k stadium built at Redcliffe and go back to their traditional base and represent a different area than the Broncos (spreading teams out across SEQ so they don't overlap).

The NRL are learning the lessons from Sydney, we don't want a Firehawks doing the exact same thing for the game the Broncos are doing. If the NRL has an eye on another SEQ team in the South-West/Ipswich in the future the clubs are perfectly spread apart to cover all corners of a region that is rapidly growing in population.

We see some of the better suggestions for Sydney's congestion is to spread teams out (Dragons to Wollongong, Tigers to Campbelltown, Roosters spread to North Sydney, Rabbitohs spreading further west. Brisbane expansion is being planned with this in mind not to create the same problems.
Dolphins going to see what their crowds are like at Suncorp

if they aren’t massive then they become a Moreton bay / sunny coast team playing most of their games at redcliffe

if they do become really popular then they are a north brisbane team playing most of their games at suncorp

either way it’s a win for rugby league but another Brisbane city team is what the game really needs

their goal should be being bigger than the broncos

plus brisbane needs some day games for more families to attend

I get the feeling they are going to be the biggest club in rugby league and it’s going to make them want to add more teams sooner

mongoose

Coach

How is adding the Dolphins learning the lessons from Sydney? It's doing the exact same thing Sydney did 50+ years ago - adding a team that represents a few suburbs. I realise some the local nutters think Cronulla and Manly are sporting juggernauts but they're not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funnily there was a story this week about Perth needing a 3rd AFL club based in Joondalup to service the North lol. Reality is Firehawks would have been a genuine Brisbane2 club, all games at suncorp, targeting the south side of the city, very similar to what Dockers are to the Eagles.
Would we even be talking about the need for a Redcliffe club if Firehawks were in and successful? highly unlikely. The fact we are already talking about needing the Firehawks shows what a bad call it was in that regard. Dolphins wont fail as they have plenty of non FC revenue to fall back on, but is that really how we measure success in the NRL?

MugaB

Coach
How is adding the Dolphins learning the lessons from Sydney? It's doing the exact same thing Sydney did 50+ years ago - adding a team that represents a few suburbs. I realise some the local nutters think Cronulla and Manly are sporting juggernauts but they're not.
The difference is its not the city wide club, its a club on the outskirts, so relating the dolphins they aren't manly or cronulla, they are morso parra, or dogs against the city based club

Funnily there was a story this week about Perth needing a 3rd AFL club based in Joondalup to service the North lol. Reality is Firehawks would have been a genuine Brisbane2 club, all games at suncorp, targeting the south side of the city, very similar to what Dockers are to the Eagles.
Would we even be talking about the need for a Redcliffe club if Firehawks were in and successful? highly unlikely. The fact we are already talking about needing the Firehawks shows what a bad call it was in that regard. Dolphins wont fail as they have plenty of non FC revenue to fall back on, but is that really how we measure success in the NRL?
What a lot of people on here don't understand is the financial model that props up our game is unsustainable and inhibits growth into new areas. I cannot think of any other sport in the world that forces its clubs to rely on gambling revenue. The result is we have football clubs with small fanbases able to play in the top league because their licenced venues have access to gaming machines. It really is holding back expansion.

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
What a lot of people on here don't understand is the financial model that props up our game is unsustainable and inhibits growth into new areas. I cannot think of any other sport in the world that forces its clubs to rely on gambling revenue. The result is we have football clubs with small fanbases able to play in the top league because theie licenced venues have access to gaming machines. It really is holding back expansion.
What you don’t understand is everybody thinks you are bonkers!

mongoose

Coach
Do the Perth AFL clubs have certain areas where they draw fans and sponsors? Do Fremantle fans mostly live around Fremantle?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do the Perth AFL clubs have certain areas where they draw fans and sponsors? Do Fremantle fans mostly live around Fremantle?
Traditionally Eagles have been city wide (similar to Broncos) and Fremantle South of the river all areas. Fremantle area is a relatively small population, they appeal to all of the South metro regions of Perth, but not exclusively, still plenty of Eagles fans in the South as well.

City Population is split pretty evenly north and south of river. Perth continues to grow massively and stretch out along the coast, and the entire Perth area is over 125km in length now stretching from Yanchep in the North to Mandurah in the South.

Colk

First Grade
Maybe on a Saturday night, but they used to do that with the replay games and the interest was waned.
Sunday 6pm(Eastern) is the perfect spot to fill.
4pm Perth time, and it will put the horrible MJ show back a couple of hours. Win/win/win

Haha I didn’t even think of that. That’s a big positive.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I know what you are saying, but the big differences are that Brisbane only has two teams and Redcliffe are a powerful brand, club and business.

What I mean by learning the lessons of Sydney is that we didn't just pick the Firehawks who are a few km's away from the Broncos and don't really offer anything different i.e. we are spreading the teams out around SEQ instead of having a cluster of them close to each other.

Pneuma

First Grade
Which ‘local nutters’ think Manly and the Sharks are juggernauts? I’ve not seen any evidence of this. Please explain! With some evidence.

Bukowski

Juniors
I know what you are saying, but the big differences are that Brisbane only has two teams and Redcliffe are a powerful brand, club and business.

What I mean by learning the lessons of Sydney is that we didn't just pick the Firehawks who are a few km's away from the Broncos and don't really offer anything different i.e. we are spreading the teams out around SEQ instead of having a cluster of them close to each other.
Is there room around their ground to make it bigger?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
SEQ is a huge market and growing and yes, the Dolphins servicing the North, Broncos the city, a team in the South West and the Titans covering the Gold Coast is a great spread

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Is there room around their ground to make it bigger?
Yeah they've got a fair bit of land there. The ground configuration will have to be flipped East-West for any future rebuilds though as the leagues club butts up against the southern end of the ground at the moment. Unless they work out a way to incorporate it into a new southern stand. Either way, the playing area would shift slightly from its current position

Perth Red

Post Whore
SEQ is a huge market and growing and yes, the Dolphins servicing the North, Broncos the city, a team in the South West and the Titans covering the Gold Coast is a great spread
yeh in 50 years maybe lol. Its a very sydney mentality to think you need a club in every area. Our population isnt much smaller and our two clubs service the whole city adequately, making them massive supported clubs. I cant see a northern Perth AFL club needed for 20 years or so. If Firehawks had been succesful in attracting the whole south of the river and Broncos kept marketing to the North then we wouldnt be talking about a third club in the city for a long time. But hey ho weve got what weve got, hopefully they are succesful.

Pneuma

First Grade
yeh in 50 years maybe lol. Its a very sydney mentality to think you need a club in every area. Our population isnt much smaller and our two clubs service the whole city adequately, making them massive supported clubs. I cant see a northern Perth AFL club needed for 20 years or so. If Firehawks had been succesful in attracting the whole south of the river and Broncos kept marketing to the North then we wouldnt be talking about a third club in the city for a long time. But hey ho weve got what weve got, hopefully they are succesful.
It’s great that sitting on your throne in Perth you can determine the best dynamic for teams in Queensland.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Traditionally Eagles have been city wide (similar to Broncos) and Fremantle South of the river all areas. Fremantle area is a relatively small population, they appeal to all of the South metro regions of Perth, but not exclusively, still plenty of Eagles fans in the South as well.

City Population is split pretty evenly north and south of river. Perth continues to grow massively and stretch out along the coast, and the entire Perth area is over 125km in length now stretching from Yanchep in the North to Mandurah in the South.

Perth Red is right, most diehard Freo fans are from South of the River.

People who don't have a family history in the game or only a mild interest in AFL tend to get drawn to the underdog Freo too just so they have a team.

flippikat

Bench
interesting question and as of yet we don’t know. They may pick a city and call for bids, or they may work with a bid team in a city they choose or they may invite bids from numerous cities.

In Perths case if the WA govt sides with one particular bid then it’s hard to see the nrl choosing anyone else Or even going to open tender If NRL are confident in the govt backed bid.

In PNG’s case there is likely to be only one bid and likely in essence to involve the nrl as a partner in the bid with the clubs start up through Australian govt funding.

NZ there doesnt seem to be many factors that would dictate going for one particular bid approach so they may well throw open the door and see what comes through.
What if the NRL say "We need a team in Perth, so we call for bids for a Perth team", and they get 3 bids..

- West Coast Pirates, endorsed by the WA Govt.
- Some WA-based private consortium, giving it a go.
- North Sydn- err.. Perth Bears. Basically Norths promising if they're selected they'll play most home games in Perth, with say 3 at North Sydney.