What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Bukowski

Juniors
"Perth Bears" isn't even an option, at least not in any meaningful sense of the term.

If the Bears relaunched in Perth-

• the team would be called 'the Bears'

• the club would still be based in Sydney despite the fact that the NRL team played and trained in Perth

• they'd play up to 4 games a year at NSO (numbers as high as 6 have been thrown out by board members, but the official line is 2-4 a year when they're interviewed by the media about Perth specifically)

• no changes would be made to the brand to make reference to Perth or WA

• they talk almost exclusively about tapping into the old Bears fanbase, not about building a new one in Perth/WA

• generally they even spruik it as a opportunity to get more juniors from NS into the NRL, and not as an opportunity to tap into the relatively untapped talent pool in WA.

In other words it wouldn't even be a Perth team in name only... Perth would only be involved in so far as they'd be the key that unlocked the door that allows the Bears back into the NRL, and the Bears would look to do away with Perth as much as possible as soon as they weren't needed anymore.

Same goes for any of their other schemes to get back into the NRL.
That set up would make the tigers ' club ' look professional.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It's not like Perth was a failure. It was deemed to be the least valuable...
The population there has grown since then so things have changed I guess along with more competition in the Force ect.
Why don't they buy some fixtures? Show they're serious and they can pull a good crowd regularly?
That'd be a good start.
I'd love to see some ground swell there first, like what happened with the Titans.

Wb1234

Referee
The population there has grown since then so things have changed I guess along with more competition in the Force ect.
Why don't they buy some fixtures? Show they're serious and they can pull a good crowd regularly?
That'd be a good start.
I'd love to see some ground swell there first, like what happened with the Titans.
The crowds dropped off massively after the first season

and we’ve been told if they hadn’t gone to super league they were going broke

then there’s the force who did pretty much the same

Perth Red

Post Whore
That'd be a good start.
What? WA Govt has spent over $30million buying NRL games, Nines, doubleheaders, Tests, RLWC games and Origins in the last decade! In fact I doubt anyone outside the RL heartlands has bought as much NRL/RL content as WA! In fact Id say they should stop wasting money on NRL games and put it into grassroots RL in WA! Clearly selling out games has made no difference to the NRL's attitude to Perth having a club.

What WA has bought in last decade or so:
NRL Nines
2 origins
2 doubleheaders
RLWC 2 pool games
Aus v NZ test match
12 NRL games
1 pre season game

Perth Red

Post Whore
The crowds dropped off massively after the first season

and we’ve been told if they hadn’t gone to super league they were going broke

then there’s the force who did pretty much the same
Reds NEVER finished bottom of the attendance table in their 3 years. Nearly every clubs crowds fell off a cliff in that period. I wonder why?

Despite the turmoil of SL happening Reds had better crowd avg than the following so called heartland clubs in 1996
Balmain
Canterbury
Gold Coast
Illawarra
Penrith
Souths
Wests

and in 1997 better than
Penrith
Hunter
Illawarra
South Qnld
Souths
St George
Wests

But yeh tell us again how Perth's crowds were a problem lol

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
I am starting to have this horrible realisation that the N in NRL stands for

1. Narrow
2. NSW
3. Nincompoops

Even worse Perth Red has a legitimate argument they it’s the Sydney mentality that’s holding us back.

He’s wrong about getting rid of clubs.

But he’s bloody right about the Sydney centric attitude holding the game back.

God help me!

Colk

First Grade

1. Narrow
2. NSW
3. Nincompoops

Even worse Perth Red has a legitimate argument they it’s the Sydney mentality that’s holding us back.

God help me!

A sensible person can realise that you can have both. Keep the existing clubs and just expand the competition

MugaB

Coach

1. Narrow
2. NSW
3. Nincompoops

God help me!
Have you also neen infected by the potato disease... no no please not you too..videotogif_2022.12.24_01.08.50.gif

A sensible person can realise that you can have both. Keep the existing clubs and just expand the competition
lf you wish to have nine small NRL clubs in Sydney that are a little more than half the size of the Swans then keep things the same.

Sydney's clubs have had 50 to 100+ years to develop their brands and failed to grow beyond their small catchments. The only reason they are still here is because of gaming machine revenue and broadcast deals that are bolstered by interstate clubs.

Gobsmacked

Bench
What? WA Govt has spent over $30million buying NRL games, Nines, doubleheaders, Tests, RLWC games and Origins in the last decade! In fact I doubt anyone outside the RL heartlands has bought as much NRL/RL content as WA! In fact Id say they should stop wasting money on NRL games and put it into grassroots RL in WA! Clearly selling out games has made no difference to the NRL's attitude to Perth having a club.

What WA has bought in last decade or so:
NRL Nines
2 origins
2 doubleheaders
RLWC 2 pool games
Aus v NZ test match
12 NRL games
1 pre season game
When was the last fixture....