What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
Do you get headaches? I rarely get headaches. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. They will last a few hours. What level intensity is a migraine compared to a headache?
Pain is subjective. What is pain for you might be nothing for me.

I have been to a pain clinic, frequented by people with back pain, girls with endometriosis, people with migranes etc. In a group session, a common statement by people with chronic pain is that people dismiss their pain, “you still got that ?” as if smugly suggesting their superiority.

Im lucky, 2023 means that I have a auto-inject monthly and zero headaches. Some people will never get relief.

What we found

The odds of lifetime and past 12-month suicidality were two to three times greater in people with chronic pain. Sixty-five percent of people who attempted suicide in the past 12 months had a history of chronic pain. Chronic pain was independently associated with lifetime suicidality after controlling for demographic, mental health and substance use disorders.

Gronk

Staff member
My eldest brother suffered migraines doing the HSC many years ago. He described them as being totally debilitating with even bright light causing intense pain.

Although they are 'grouped' with headaches, I don't think they are in the same league.
There are various types of headaches with cluster or tension headaches the most common. However there some others called icepick headaches and even thunderclap headaches.

Migranes however are the king of headaches, as your brother could attest.

What a lot of people don’t know is the pre and post migrane symptoms which are just as f**ked.

Interestingly, whist my migraines are a thing if the past because I’m on the injections, yesterday I experienced migraine aura at work. Some people describe it as the water running down a window effect. I lose my sight, things go blurry for about 20 mins. This would normally be a prelude to a wiz-bang migraine, however yesterday I just felt a little but crappy.

536A6C8D-87A6-47CA-B31A-721ED116BBD0.png

Eelementary

Post Whore
My eldest brother suffered migraines doing the HSC many years ago. He described them as being totally debilitating with even bright light causing intense pain.

Although they are 'grouped' with headaches, I don't think they are in the same league.

As a sufferer of migraines, I can attest to this.

And it also tends to impact your vision.

They are awful.

Gronk

Staff member
As a sufferer of migraines, I can attest to this.

And it also tends to impact your vision.

They are awful.
Migraines are f**ken terrible mate. Just came out of a three day one. I can't even compare headaches and migranes. It doesn't compare. Mine can be near on totally debilitating
Guys, I am lucky that i fell into the care of a neurologist and deeply caring man. What I have learnt from this process is that you should never accept defeat and just put up with them and suffer. I did for way too long and it impacts everything and everyone around you.

It took a while to conquer the migraines, but eventually we found the right mix.

Currently I take a small dose of a daily maintenance migraine med, a monthly injection and I also have an emergency-break-glass wonder drug that dissolves on your tongue that I can nip an emerging migraine in the bud and run him out of town. DM me if you want info.

For what it’s worth, my neuro also has me taking daily vitamins….

Coenzym q10
Feverfew
Magnesium
V B2
V B6

All of which are proven to aid migraine sufferers.

hindy111

Post Whore
It sounds terrible. I've had a headache from a hangover and it felt like someone was smacks me on side of head. Why I won't ever drink to much.
My pain tends to be neck,shoulder and lower back. But it seems not often and rarely does it stop.me from light activities.

It sounds terrible. I've had a headache from a hangover and it felt like someone was smacks me on side of head. Why I won't ever drink to much.
My pain tends to be neck,shoulder and lower back. But it seems not often and rarely does it stop.me from light activities.
It’s different for different people.

I gave up drinking full stop many years ago for the work and the lifestyle reasons.

If I have a sip of beer now, I just get a beery headache. The body and mind hates it.

No hangovers, save money, watch people fall around you. Many benefits, much better for kids etc.

A sharper, happier hindy111.

Try it for a few months maybe, up to you.

After you quit drinking, beer tastes yuk.

Last edited:

the phantom menace

First Grade
I haven't had/felt like a beer for six weeks (since coming down with Covid Omicron) - surprising, given it's summer and I've been on holidays and had been looking forward to supporting my local brewery.

But the break away from it leaves me thinking I don't even fancy the taste of beer any more - at least not yet? During that time I've been able to have two ciders on tap (Somersby and Monteith's), but am currently not feeling my usual call to red wine or dark beers.

hindy111

Post Whore
It’s different for different people.

I gave up drinking full stop many years ago for the work and the lifestyle reasons.

If I have a sip of beer now, I just get a beery headache. The body and mind hates it.

No hangovers, save money, watch people fall around you. Many benefits, much better for kids etc.

A sharper, happier hindy111.

Try it for a few months maybe, up to you.

After you quit drinking, beer tastes yuk.

I enjoy a cold beer. I reckon it is good for my mental state as I look forward to a couple on the weekend. Rare will I go pass 3 in a sitting.

I enjoy a cold beer. I reckon it is good for my mental state as I look forward to a couple on the weekend. Rare will I go pass 3 in a sitting.
Fair enough. 3 beers is pretty light over the course.

Some people can handle a skinful and still be Ok, but often not long term.

I was dealing with an functioning alcoholic today, nice guy, friendly and kind, but sometimes, it’s like he’s talking to himself.

I think one day, he’s going to be vulnerable and someone’s going to fleece him. He doesn’t deserve it.

I should try to broach the topic tactfully, but I’d f**k it up.

And anyway, he’s not giving up an addiction for an acquaintances comments. That would be a vain hope indeed!

Last edited:

Stevie

Bench
I love getting on the beers. During Covid I have a break from alcohol for 4 months. Like 110 day or something. Anyway, after about 3 weeks I can honestly say I felt about 20% brighter, sharper all the time. Mondays at work were a breeze. I love a drink, but I have to admit I felt amazing off it

I love getting on the beers. During Covid I have a break from alcohol for 4 months. Like 110 day or something. Anyway, after about 3 weeks I can honestly say I felt about 20% brighter, sharper all the time. Mondays at work were a breeze. I love a drink, but I have to admit I felt amazing off it
Some good points, nice balance.

I think anyone who says they couldn’t improve their life in some way isn’t really being honest. And sometimes, there’s always tomorrow!
It’s not for me to know what’s right for everyone.

I have met and know people who have come back though. They are inspiring. Others are still trapped, looking for ways to be happy. You want to resolve their doubts about themselves. They are often great people….but don’t see it.

And I salute those in the bad relationships. Stay strong, there may have to be a train crash, but you’ll get through it. There’s some great people in the world.

Last edited:

Stevie

Bench
Today is a tough day. As ridiculous as it sounds my 99 yo Great Auntie just passed and although we know it’s been coming. It’s brought with it a flood of precious childhood memories that are never to be again.
Will toast a glass of bubbles to her tonight, but can’t help but feel overwhelmed at the finality of it all.
I actually named my daughter after her such is the affection I had for her.
Thanks for giving me a place to blurb.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Sorry to hear - 99yo is a great innings, and you'll all no doubt be feeling the loss of those shared times at the moment as the memories flood back.

Even if you know it's coming It's tough when someone you've been so close to and has been there for so long now won't be. Keep thinking of her and talking about her, as you and your family come to terms with her loss.

Today is a tough day. As ridiculous as it sounds my 99 yo Great Auntie just passed and although we know it’s been coming. It’s brought with it a flood of precious childhood memories that are never to be again.
Will toast a glass of bubbles to her tonight, but can’t help but feel overwhelmed at the finality of it all.
Yeah sorry about that, the daughters name is a very touching tribute, I did the same thing with my daughter and my mum.

I can’t cheer you up, but I know a funereal director and the things that at eat him are the kids, infirm folk and those, just their number is up.

I know some church folk, they go and visit the intellectually disabled and their parents etc. They are legends. Their love is amazing.

Where she had a good and happy life with lots of the love and care, 99 is fantastic and solid. An amazing era to live.

And you know a bit of her still lives in you, so it’s not final in her influence.

@horrie hastings and I, we love talking about the moments in time you recall as much as anything current. Except food!

Take care and thanks for sharing. Let us know how the drinks went.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

I'm so sorry to hear that @Stevie and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.
As you may know, it is only just over a week ago that my family laid to rest my dad. It is NEVER an easy time to lose a beloved family member.
Blurb here anytime you feel the need to. It is what I do and it truly does help.

Just remember the good times. It is what I have done about my dad's passing. I think of all the good things about him every day and I try not to think about the sadness of his passing away. It is hard every morning when I wake and again realise he is not in our lives anymore. But I quickly understand that there is nothing I can change and what has happened, has happened.
I'm going to a memorial service tomorrow afternoon at his Aged Care Centre which they are putting on for him, which is nice of them. Geez, they must have to do one of these a week at this place. Anyhow, I'm going to support my mum more than anything, who is now on her own. Dad's bed was quickly removed from their double room soon after his passing.

Anyway, mourne your Great Auntie's passing. But, celebrate her life with your memories.
Don't ever forget them.

Suitman

Post Whore
I was also just about to transfer some further thoughts from the PD dinner thread, but I now realise that it wouldn't be appropriate, so maybe I will post those thoughts at a different time.

Gronk

Staff member
Gee 99. All the gals on my Mum’s side live to a similar ripe old age.

My Aunty Daphne died about 10 years a go at 98. She had a big part of our life and we used to go down to Kiama to see her as often as we could. In fact it was in her lounge room that my son took his first steps.

Amazing lady, full of wisdom. She said two things to me over the years that stayed with me.

The first was when I was dating. I had a random on my arm visiting her and she said to me on the quiet “make sure you fall in like with a lady, before you fall in love. Because if you fall out of love, you’ve got nothing to like”

Lastly, she rammed home “slow down and smell the roses”.

Im sure you have great memories of your aunty Stevie, hold on to them.