What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2023 vs Souths

Iron Mike

Juniors
With Bird and DeBelin confirmed as out for the Charity Shield.
My Prediction for next weeks team is :
1. Sloan
2. Ravalava
3. Suli
4.Lomax
5. Feagai
6.Sullivan
7.Hunt
8.F Molo
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Sua
12. BMM
13. Toby Couchman - his line speed and agility will be needed considering the lack of mobility of the other fowards .
14. MBye
15. Musgrave
16. Kerr
17. Dan Russell.
I hope some of the kids like Egan, R Couchman , Hamele and Herring get some game time at the back end

kit66

Bench
1. Sloan
2. Ravalava
3. Suli
4.Lomax
5. Feagai
6.Sullivan
7.Hunt
8.F Molo
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Sua
12. BMM
13. Toby Couchman - his line speed and agility will be needed considering the lack of mobility of the other fowards .
14. MBye
15. Musgrave
16. Kerr
17. Dan Russell.
I hope some of the kids like Egan, R Couchman , Hamele and Herring get some game time at the back end

I believe BMM spent most, if not all of his time in ESL playing at Lock and was very good there. I'd play BMM and NLT in rotation at lock and I'd like to see Burns, T.Couchman and Russell to each trial at second row to partner Su'a. Musgrove and Kerr in prop rotation with Molo and Lawrie starting props. Sort out our bench and starters.

Old Timer

Coach
I believe BMM spent most, if not all of his time in ESL playing at Lock and was very good there. I'd play BMM and NLT in rotation at lock and I'd like to see Burns, T.Couchman and Russell to each trial at second row to partner Su'a. Musgrove and Kerr in prop rotation with Molo and Lawrie starting props. Sort out our bench and starters.
I think you are close but I believe this gives better balance

Locks - Bird & BMM - Bird start then to edge if necessary and BMM is our impact player

Edge - Sua, T Coachman, Russell,

Props - De- Belin, F Molo, Lawrie, NLT

Maybe’s - Kerr, Molo

If injury Bird covers halves, Russell covers backs and we forget Mybe altogether and play Bud 6 which also helps our coverage if Liddle goes down ie Bird to 6 Bud to 9 to ensure we have slick play the balls.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
75 second row
45 bench
3 lock

DfL

Juniors
1. Sloan
2. Ravalava
3. Suli
4.Lomax
5. Feagai
6.Sullivan
7.Hunt
8.F Molo
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Sua
12. BMM
14. MBye
15. Musgrave
16. Kerr
17. Dan Russell.
I also really liked Nick Lui Toso, he's a big body and we need that. Also ran for 100m+ in the trail against st helens

possm

Coach
1. Lomax
2. Katoa
3. Matt Fegai
4. Suli
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. F Molo
9. Liddle
10. De Belin
11. Bird
12. Su'A
13. BMM
14. Mbe
15. Lawrie
16. Toso
17. M Molo

Then add in some youngers to have a go.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Very lazy in defence....very!

You think so ? NLT's work rate in attack and defence was higher than BMM's I thought. He wasn't out there long, 12 tackles, most metres per run of any forward and more tackle breaks and pcms than any other forward including Lawrie. I'd love to see him on our bench. It will take him a few games to get used to NRL pace but worth it I think. Hope he goes well against the Bunnies, that'll be the test, get him on while Souths still have their best forwards on the park, see how he goes. The Molo's better step up or NLT could push them both out of the 17 (if we go with JDB + Lawrie as starting props).

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
1. Lomax
2. Catoa
3. Matt Fegai
4. Suli
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. F Molo
9. Liddle
10. De Belin
11. Bird
12. Su'A
13. BMM
14. Mbe
15. Lawrie
16. Toso
17. M Molo

Then add in some youngers to have a go.

We have to give Sloan first shot at fullback. He missed the St Helens trial, he has to play against the Bunnies, we need his speed and skill, not Mbye, not Bird, not Lomax (has he even played fullback - I can't see him patrolling behind our line in defence or running down am opposition line break - also why weaken a strong position to fill a position we can cover with others). Hook switched Lomax to the left to strengthen our defence over there, which was apparently the 2nd worst left side in the comp for leaking tries - Hook's finally done something right, let's not bugger it up.

itsme

Juniors
You think so ? NLT's work rate in attack and defence was higher than BMM's I thought. He wasn't out there long, 12 tackles, most metres per run of any forward and more tackle breaks and pcms than any other forward including Lawrie. I'd love to see him on our bench. It will take him a few games to get used to NRL pace but worth it I think. Hope he goes well against the Bunnies, that'll be the test, get him on while Souths still have their best forwards on the park, see how he goes. The Molo's better step up or NLT could push them both out of the 17 (if we go with JDB + Lawrie as starting props).
Numbers look good, no doubt. But there was plenty of times he couldn't get onside and he left a few holes in the line. Was not even in a position to even miss tackles.

Fair call about him getting used to NRL pace, but till then he is, for me, a liability in the middle defensively.

But ball in hand we definitely need a guy that carry the ball like him.

possm

Coach
We have to give Sloan first shot at fullback. He missed the St Helens trial, he has to play against the Bunnies, we need his speed and skill, not Mbye, not Bird, not Lomax (has he even played fullback - I can't see him patrolling behind our line in defence or running down am opposition line break - also why weaken a strong position to fill a position we can cover with others). Hook switched Lomax to the left to strengthen our defence over there, which was apparently the 2nd worst left side in the comp for leaking tries - Hook's finally done something right, let's not bugger it up.
Sloan was not selected at fullback in the All Stars game but did get a go on the wing.

Dragon David

First Grade
Fully agree kit.

qld redvee

Juniors
Numbers look good, no doubt. But there was plenty of times he couldn't get onside and he left a few holes in the line. Was not even in a position to even miss tackles.

Fair call about him getting used to NRL pace, but till then he is, for me, a liability in the middle defensively.

But ball in hand we definitely need a guy that carry the ball like him.
its me
would you rather have woods in the squad or NTL who can at least RUN and has a bit of grunt

and woods is hardly a defensive machine .... we need some go forward and size