What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

We have some very good outside backs coming through Ball and Flegg right now. We'd be mad to throw too much at Young and completely screw our team balance and depth

Anything over $500k would be idiotic. Even that is probably too high

Knight Tales

Juniors
we can't panic and pay huge overs. If he gets a better offer, whether that be money or prospects of winning GF's then so be it. Its his career.

Paying overs just sends us further down the hole we are currently in. We have overpaid the majority of our top 17 which is why we have absolutely no depth if we get injuries.

Prime example is Ponga, we have overpaid him

People on here will say pay him whatever it takes, then will complain that the side is crap and has no depth. We need to be much smarter with recruitment and retention and that starts with salaries
You need to be successful or you pay overs. But it would be good for the club to show a ceiling on the offer and stick to it.
Suaalii will be playing left centre in 2023/2024 if he takes up the PO for 2024 and if Young signs then he will be playing right wing.
Eddie Jones is a very persuasive man.

Yosh

Coach
We looking at any more signings? Not to be too pessimistic but we looked like the worst team in week 1 of the trials...

perverse

Referee
Cannot argue with either side of the debate over Dom. Not Keen on overs though. Uate vibes. I am of the belief that the kids yet to arrive from the UK are both superior and longer term prospects and this decision iver Dom Could bite us down the track . This seems like a possible admission from the Roosters that they know Joseph S is headed to the Wallabies. This is their move to replace him: If Dom knocks them back I will be surprised.
Let's be real, Dom isn't fit to shine Aku's shoes at this stage. The fact that we had problems with Aku's big contract, and that Dom isn't anywhere near that good, should tell us all we need to know.

PhilGould

Bench
Last week letting go a highly rated junior for a depth player was the smart move because juniors aren't sure things, now letting go one of our best players (arguably our best on last season's form) is the smart move because we have juniors who can replace him. Ferguson is the only one even in the same realm as a prospect and he's currently playing SG Ball. Bradbury was closer to first grade ready than any of the outside backs we have.

Also no idea what relevance it has to the Dom conversation, but Pryce is 6 months younger and looking unlikely to even be in Huddersfield's top 17 this year. "Superior and longer term prospect" is an interesting way to put it.

PhilGould

Bench
Also feels like there’s some overestimations on what kind of money he’s going to be offered in general. Addo-Carr was the best winger in the comp when last time he was off contract and reportedly signed in the $500k range. Xavier Coates is probably the best direct comparison to Dom as an athlete/player but with the added bump of Brisbane media talking him up and apparently signed for Melbourne in the mid-$300k range.

Jono078

Referee
Anyone see this?

It has also been revealed a ratchet clause in Ponga’s contract has seen his yearly salary soar to a reported $1.4 million-per-season — making him one of the NRL’s highest earners.

It's getting into ridiculous money territory if that's true, but I guess we're the ones who agreed to it.

perverse

Referee
Last week letting go a highly rated junior for a depth player was the smart move because juniors aren't sure things, now letting go one of our best players (arguably our best on last season's form) is the smart move because we have juniors who can replace him. Ferguson is the only one even in the same realm as a prospect and he's currently playing SG Ball. Bradbury was closer to first grade ready than any of the outside backs we have.

Also no idea what relevance it has to the Dom conversation, but Pryce is 6 months younger and looking unlikely to even be in Huddersfield's top 17 this year. "Superior and longer term prospect" is an interesting way to put it.
I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way. Just providing thoughts. We'll see how it plays out.

Anyone see this?

It's getting into ridiculous money territory if that's true, but I guess we're the ones who agreed to it.
That's a ratchet clause for you, all the highly paid players have them.

Not sure if this is directed at me but in no way did i say we should "let him go", in fact I suggested we should give him a comparable contract to the guy you yourself said was "the best winger in the comp". My concern is with giving him more money than hes actually worth just to keep him and bugger ourselves long term

Id also argue that Vea'ila and Armstrong re very good outside back prospects but its a matter of opinion i guess

What contract size do you think we should go up to with Dom?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Not sure if this is directed at me but in no way did i say we should "let him go", in fact I suggested we should give him a comparable contract to the guy you yourself said was "the best winger in the comp". My concern is with giving him more money than hes actually worth just to keep him and bugger ourselves long term

Id also argue that Vea'ila and Armstrong re very good outside back prospects but its a matter of opinion i guess

What contract size do you think we should go up to with Dom?
If gagai is on 550k, dom is worth more. Having said that, I still can’t believe we paid so much for gagai… definite overs…

Spot On

Coach
If gagai is on 550k, dom is worth more. Having said that, I still can’t believe we paid so much for gagai… definite overs…

Yep. This is the problem we create by giving ridiculous overs (and lengthy contracts) to limited players.

Then, we somehow get a good one like Dom and whinge that we don't want to pay up.

FFS

Knight Tales

Juniors

Give me a break. Won’t be picked in the Huddersfield 17! Based on what evidence? He is another level at that club.
Yep. This is the problem we create by giving ridiculous overs (and lengthy contracts) to limited players.

Then, we somehow get a good one like Dom and whinge that we don't want to pay up.

FFS
And this has been my point over Dom the whole time. He is worth the money. I am saying we pay overs cos of who we are. I am also saying I believe KPP and Pryce wil soon be in the same position. We get them fairly cheap to start with. Then they are as good as we hope. Guess what happens next? Bye bye.
The reality is we pay more for them. We accept it. However as you rightly point out we contract players, like Gagai, on bigger and longer deals which never account for the OC talent we may want to keep.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Nathan Brown made a good point about 6 or 7 years ago when he was overhauling the roster. He said a club that’s in the position that we’re will have to to pay overs to get players in, but it’s important to only pay overs for the right players.
For me, this point is still spot on. Dom has future elite player written all over him and we don’t have many of those so if we need to pay a little over the market value then I think it’s worth it.
The job after that is to pick up some good value signings elsewhere in the roster, guys who are undervalued or are looking for an opportunity. Basically guys who will play above their pay level.

macavity

Referee
Yeah part of the issue at the club is the coach and management seem to overate some of these guys.

Squad fillers on not much. Although Fitzy can do a job (and will given our lack of depth).

Our major problem is lack of productivity from the likes of Ponga, Mann, Gagai, Bradman, Brailey and Saifiti x 2...

If they do the jobs they are (highly) paid to do, the squad fillers can look not awful doing theirs - as squad fillers do at strong clubs.

As it stands, our "stars" play like squad fillers, and our squad fillers look like literal potatoes as a result.

perverse

Referee
Our major problem is lack of productivity from the likes of Ponga, Mann, Gagai, Bradman, Brailey and Saifiti x 2...

All of these are true, but for some reason Mann makes me the angriest of all. He was never good, and we for some reason went to the trouble of getting him here and ruining our team over and over again to find a spot for him.

At least the rest of them have done something or shown genuine potential in Bradman and to a lesser extent Brailey's cases. Mann is a useless never-was that our last 2 coaches have been hell bent on moulding the team around. And to rub salt in the wound, commentators regularly gush about how good and important he is to this Newcastle side.

Latest posts