What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

Tigerm

First Grade

Andrew Johns Cup
ROUND 2 - SATURDAY 11TH FEBRUARY
FULL TIME WTs 18 to Dogs 10

Harold Matthews Cup - Balmain
FULL TIME - Eels 20 - Balmain 18

Harold Matthews Cup - Wests
Full time - Wests 16 - Drags 8

Laurie Daley Cup
ROUND 2 - Saturday 11TH FEBRUARY
Full time WT’s 14 - Dogs 14

SG Ball Cup - Balmain
Full time Eels 28 - Tigers 10

SG Ball Cup - Wests
Full time Wests 18 - Drags 10

Last edited:
I went down to Cabramatta to watch the Magpies Harold Matts and SG Ball teams yesterday.
Both got wins but both were messy.

Harold Matts were really really dissapointing in their game. Not the greatest game of footy either.
They seemed to go away from what worked last week against Manly. Maybe even prejudged the Dragons beforehand.

They won 16-8
4 tries to 2 with no kicks over for any team

Dragons have some good forwards, stocky strong kids but Magpies were excellent in stopping them and turning the ball runner on their backs. Wests game plan this season is "flat and Fast" due to their small sized forwards. They mastered the slowing down of the ruck yesterday and forced Dragons into a lot of mistakes. Dragons were 4/11 in completed sets in the 1st half. They would make yards then Wests would force an error. 1st 2 Wests tries came from errors from the Dragons. Wests left winger scored 2 good long range tries from these errors. Infact both Wests wingers got 2 tries each.

What was annoying was that Wests were trying to offload in tackles when they didnt need to. Some real dumb footy. Last week they were getting whacked from Manlys big pack but would win the ruck by getting quick play the balls. Instead of doing this they tried to offload instead and caused them to lose the ball in the ruck or knock on. They never really looked like losing the game but they could of and probably should of won by a lot more. Dragons forwards were good. They worked together but their backs were a let down. Tonnes of errors. Bad ones as well. Pushing 1 pass to many or the outside backs rushing in leaving overlaps that the Magpies always exploited.

Wests reserve hooker is a kid names Aaron Keppie, he has an older brother Luke playing SG ball and another brother playing 1st grade for Manly. Hes a great forward but when he came on the game changed and not for the better. Hes more of a middle forward than a hooker. Game slowed down when he came on. I felt that the starting hooker Dylan Smith would of been more effective against the good Dragons pack on a bloody hot day. Actually all the forwards from both teams deserve credit for the way they played in those hot conditions.

Players to standout were the wingers Riley Oitmann and Ali Hicham Kabib. Both finished some good tries. Reserve 2nd rowers Callum Mcmenemy and Maddox Fui were good as well as right centre Heamasi Makasini. Alot of the boys that were standouts last week had off games this week so id expect a couple of changes this week. I was chatting to a couple of Dads whose boys were in the Dragons team and they were amazed at this Wests team. Even though in my eyes there were some concerning signs, these 2 Dads couldnt get over the speed and skill from Wests. Even when their Sons had finished their game and changed and had a meeting etc they came over and were happy that the difference was only 2 tries against the calibre of the Wests side. Thats how high other teams view Wests Harold Matts side for 2023. Plus they seemed to get a buzz playing against kids who have contracts.

SG Ball had a decent win. Again it could of been more but a lot of ill dicipline.
Knock on, knock on, penalty, penalty, on report, penalty, sinbin it was all happening lol. Wests had a couple of late changes with Captain Kit Lauailii out with a shoulder injury and starting prop Chris Faaguto being rested after playing in Thursday nights 1st grade trial (thats how high he is rated)

There is some great depth to this side and they got the job done but could of gone on with it with out the errors and penalties. Their left side of 6 Lachie Galvin, 12 Zakauri Clarke, 4 Sol Saukuru and 5 Ofele Lene is lethal and with some good early ball just causes so many problems and always has the defence going backwards. These guys stood out along with Mau Malolo from the bench. But there is 1 guy you guys should really take notice of.
Hooker Tallyn De Silva made his SG Ball debut after missing round 1. He is 17 and completed the pre season with the NRL team. In my opinion he will be playing 1st grade in 2-3 years. Just controls a game so good. Knows when to run, knows when to throw a flat all and knows when to take 2-3 steps then pass or know steps at all. Pure controls the ruck.

Also going to give a wrap on Dragons #10 Loko Pasifiki Tonga. A kid that has come down from Qld. A massive massive kid who played a lot of minutes in about 35 degrees. Going to keep an eye on him as he just did hitup after hitup and caught 2 outside back when they made breaks and he was defending in the middle. Great persistance.

I was planning to watch the 2 girls games but sh1t it was hot and being a tad hungover i left covered in sweat lol. Next week they both play Soufs at Camden which i expect both the Wests teams to win. I wont be going as there is no shelter from the sun plus going to get my sh1t sorted for when the club season starts. After that they travel to Canberra for round 4 where both Raiders sides are really really good.

Enjoy your week Gents

Tigerm

First Grade
I went down to Cabramatta to watch the Magpies Harold Matts and SG Ball teams yesterday.

Harold Matts were really really dissapointing in their game. Not the greatest game of footy either.
They seemed to go away from what worked last week against Manly. Maybe even prejudged the Dragons beforehand.

They won 16-8

Dragons have some good forwards, stocky strong kids but Magpies were excellent in stopping them and turning the ball runner on their backs. Wests game plan this season is "flat and Fast" due to their small sized forwards. They mastered the slowing down of the ruck yesterday and forced Dragons into a lot of mistakes. Dragons were 4/11 in completed sets in the 1st half. They would make yards then Wests would force an error. 1st 2 Wests tries came from errors from the Dragons. Wests left winger scored 2 good long range tries from these errors. Infact both Wests wingers got 2 tries each.

What was annoying was that Wests were trying to offload in tackles when they didnt need to. Some real dumb footy. Last week they were getting whacked from Manlys big pack but would win the ruck by getting quick play the balls. Instead of doing this they tried to offload instead and caused them to lose the ball in the ruck or knock on. They never really looked like losing the game but they could of and probably should of won by a lot more. Dragons forwards were good. They worked together but their backs were a let down. Tonnes of errors. Bad ones as well. Pushing 1 pass to many or the outside backs rushing in leaving overlaps that the Magpies always exploited.

Wests reserve hooker is a kid names Aaron Keppie, he has an older brother Luke playing SG ball and another brother playing 1st grade for Manly. Hes a great forward but when he came on the game changed and not for the better. Hes more of a middle forward than a hooker. Game slowed down when he came on. I felt that the starting hooker Dylan Smith would of been more effective against the good Dragons pack on a bloody hot day. Actually all the forwards from both teams deserve credit for the way they played in those hot conditions.

Players to standout were the wingers Riley Oitmann and Ali Hicham Kabib. Both finished some good tries. Reserve 2nd rowers Callum Mcmenemy and Maddox Fui were good as well as right centre Heamasi Makasini. Alot of the boys that were standouts last week had off games this week so id expect a couple of changes this week. I was chatting to a couple of Dads whose boys were in the Dragons team and they were amazed at this Wests team. Even though in my eyes there were some concerning signs, these 2 Dads couldnt get over the speed and skill from Wests. Even when their Sons had finished their game and changed and had a meeting etc they came over and were happy that the difference was only 2 tries against the calibre of the Wests side. Thats how high other teams view Wests Harold Matts side for 2023. Plus they seemed to get a buzz playing against kids who have contracts.

SG Ball had a decent win. Again it could of been more but a lot of ill dicipline.
Knock on, knock on, penalty, penalty, on report, penalty, sinbin it was all happening lol. Wests had a couple of late changes with Captain Kit Lauailii out with a shoulder injury and starting prop Chris Faaguto being rested after playing in Thursday nights 1st grade trial (thats how high he is rated)

There is some great depth to this side and they got the job done but could of gone on with it with out the errors and penalties. Their left side of 6 Lachie Galvin, 12 Zakauri Clarke, 4 Sol Saukuru and 5 Ofele Lene is lethal and with some good early ball just causes so many problems and always has the defence going backwards. These guys stood out along with Mau Malolo from the bench. But there is 1 guy you guys should really take notice of.
Hooker Tallyn De Silva made his SG Ball debut after missing round 1. He is 17 and completed the pre season with the NRL team. In my opinion he will be playing 1st grade in 2-3 years. Just controls a game so good. Knows when to run, knows when to throw a flat all and knows when to take 2-3 steps then pass or know steps at all. Pure controls the ruck.

Also going to give a wrap on Dragons #10 Loko Pasifiki Tonga. A kid that has come down from Qld. A massive massive kid who played a lot of minutes in about 35 degrees. Going to keep an eye on him as he just did hitup after hitup and caught 2 outside back when they made breaks and he was defending in the middle. Great persistance.

I was planning to watch the 2 girls games but sh1t it was hot and being a tad hungover i left covered in sweat lol. Next week they both play Soufs at Camden which i expect both the Wests teams to win. I wont be going as there is no shelter from the sun plus going to get my sh1t sorted for when the club season starts. After that they travel to Canberra for round 4 where both Raiders sides are really really good.

Enjoy your week Gents
Not strutting cause the Warriors won, are we?😂😂😂

Vic Mackey

Referee

They won 16-8

Enjoy your week Gents

Thanks mate, really appreacite the run downs and insights to the players.

I watched matts on the stream and caught parts of Ball. I thought both teams were fairly scrappy and really just did what they needed to win. Fairly ridiclous that in a comp thats played from Feb-May in the middle of the day the team wears black. I get that not every game will be played in 35 degrees but the ones that are would be hell for the kids.

Like Manly last week Saints were noticably bigger in Matts, however this may have hurt them in the end as when on Wests line they constantly tried crash plays which the smaller Wests forwards somehow held out. The winger Karnib was the standout, where do you think he ends up? Looks more like a fullback/centre to me? The Lauililii kid does so much that you want a fullback to do but just doesnt look like one. Great runner through the middle, backs up well and is constantly on the ball, when he moves up to Ball next year youd think it will be as a wing/centre though?

I missed all the Ball first half but saw most of the second. Da Silva seems a cut above this grade, if hes playing for Saints they probably win. Surely hes straight into Flegg when thats going.

My thoughts were that Saints are a bit of an average team, if they played stronger sides both teams would have struggled. However I also think they just got through it in horrendous conditions. Souths next week will be a test. I know Souths have big wraps on their Ball side even though they are 0/2, have 3 or 4 guys they think are certain NRL players.

jrtiger

Juniors

They won 16-8

nice mate. here's my analysis from the game below. for any of the boys that scour the WT Forum I posted this earlier.

Ali Karnib is wasted on the wing. his ability to break tackles and score tries is exciting, and his passing game is well developed for a 15 year old. obviously Laulili'i is the captain and rightly the fullback, I wouldn't be surprised to see the two switch as they get older. very keen to see how Karnib develops and eventually plays in the 1, most likely next year.

Makasini had a poorer game by his standards compared to last week, but still did enough to create space for Oitmann who scored two tries and looked very good. Gallagher was the pick of the backline players outside of Karnib and his ability to unlock Karnib down the right edge was excellent.

Large and Isdale were a little quieter than last week, but still had some decent moments. Large can put the ball high in the air off the boot and really put pressure on the opposite fullbacks. His game awareness is also excellent, and Oitmann's second try was down to his ability to identify an overlap and give Makasini early ball on the outside of his opposite as quickly as he could. Isdale tends to play short to his backrower but a few of the passes were telegraphed and would've benefitted from hitting the man out the back. His long kicking game tho was excellent and on a faster track would've had a couple 40/20s.

nice mate. here's my analysis from the game below. for any of the boys that scour the WT Forum I posted this earli
Ali Karnib is wasted on the wing. his ability to break tackles and score tries is exciting, and his passing game is well developed for a 15 year old. obviously Laulili'i is the captain and rightly the fullback, I wouldn't be surprised to see the two switch as they get older. very keen to see how Karnib develops and eventually plays in the 1, most likely next year.

Yeah mate spot on.

Ali Karnib plays fullback in club footy and goes well. Have seen him struggle a bit against the better teams who run plays that see the big boppers go at him and he can go into his shell when he gets whacked. I cant see him interchanging with Luke this season as Luke is vital in all aspects of the game. He cant do that from the wing. However next season i reckon the #1 will be his. On a side note next years side is going to be unreal!!

Makasini had a poorer game by his standards compared to last week, but still did enough to create space for Oitmann who scored two tries and looked very good. Gallagher was the pick of the backline players outside of Karnib and his ability to unlock Karnib down the right edge was excellent.
Cant believe how tall are Makasini and Gallagher out in the centres!!
Large and Isdale were a little quieter than last week, but still had some decent moments. Large can put the ball high in the air off the boot and really put pressure on the opposite fullbacks. His game awareness is also excellent, and Oitmann's second try was down to his ability to identify an overlap and give Makasini early ball on the outside of his opposite as quickly as he could. Isdale tends to play short to his backrower but a few of the passes were telegraphed and would've benefitted from hitting the man out the back. His long kicking game tho was excellent and on a faster track would've had a couple 40/20s

I thought both halves were ordinary. Both were way better last week about Manly. Isdale is fantastic at getting his teams where they need to be on the field and then sets the exact play needed to make an impact. I thought they were both off their games on Saturday. Took wrong options at the wrong times. Be interesting what happens with reserve half Sonny Edwards Moeke who is also a high talent waiting for a run.

On a side not to that, just to show how good Wests Harold Matts depth is, 2 halves that didnt make the Squad, 1 is the starting half for Manly and the other (he was only cut 2 weeks out from the season) is now the starting half for North Sydney Bears

Last edited:
Thanks mate, really appreacite the run downs and insights to the players.

I watched matts on the stream and caught parts of Ball. I thought both teams were fairly scrappy and really just did what they needed to win. Fairly ridiclous that in a comp thats played from Feb-May in the middle of the day the team wears black. I get that not every game will be played in 35 degrees but the ones that are would be hell for the kids.

And no drinks breaks either
Your right though, game standard was definatly down. Matts especially.

Like Manly last week Saints were noticably bigger in Matts, however this may have hurt them in the end as when on Wests line they constantly tried crash plays which the smaller Wests forwards somehow held out. The winger Karnib was the standout, where do you think he ends up? Looks more like a fullback/centre to me? The Lauililii kid does so much that you want a fullback to do but just doesnt look like one. Great runner through the middle, backs up well and is constantly on the ball, when he moves up to Ball next year youd think it will be as a wing/centre though?

Dragons often had overlaps as well on the right side but always took the wrong option of the inside ball.
Luke will be #1 next season in SG Ball. They will pick him then work the backline around him. He is so similiar to Billy Slater just sneaking around the ruck waiting for his chance to run.

I missed all the Ball first half but saw most of the second. Da Silva seems a cut above this grade, if hes playing for Saints they probably win. Surely hes straight into Flegg when thats going.

Da Silva will be in 1st grade sooner rather than later. I think Wests plan with him (and Prop Christopher Faaguto) will be to join the Flegg squad once SG Ball is finished. They will not play club footy at all this season and probably for the next 15 years. They will play maybe 8-10 games in Flegg and maybe 2-3 games for Reserve Grade just to get them against Men. A bit like what they did with Justin Matamua in 2022.
My thoughts were that Saints are a bit of an average team, if they played stronger sides both teams would have struggled. However I also think they just got through it in horrendous conditions. Souths next week will be a test. I know Souths have big wraps on their Ball side even though they are 0/2, have 3 or 4 guys they think are certain NRL players.
Should be a good day. Matts are at 2.30 and SG at 4pm.

jrtiger

Juniors
Yeah mate spot on.

Ali Karnib plays fullback in club footy and goes well. Have seen him struggle a bit against the better teams who run plays that see the big boppers go at him and he can go into his shell when he gets whacked. I cant see him interchanging with Luke this season as Luke is vital in all aspects of the game. He cant do that from the wing. However next season i reckon the #1 will be his. On a side note next years side is going to be unreal!!

Cant believe how tall are Makasini and Gallagher out in the centres!!

I thought both halves were ordinary. Both were way better last week about Manly. Isdale is fantastic at getting his teams where they need to be on the field and then sets the exact play needed to make an impact. I thought they were both off their games on Saturday. Took wrong options at the wrong times. Be interesting what happens with reserve half Sonny Edwards Moeke who is also a high talent waiting for a run.

On a side not to that, just to show how good Wests Harold Matts depth is, 2 halves that didnt make the Squad, 1 is the starting half for Manly and the other (he was only cut 2 weeks out from the season) is now the starting half for North Sydney Bears
you’ve obviously seen more of Karnib than me, but from what I’ve seen he looks a more complete fullback than Laulili’i at this stage. that said, there’s plenty of time for Laulili’i to develop the other parts of his game that he needs to succeed at the higher levels.

Gallagher and Makasini are both huge but it seems as if that’s what WT want in terms of body shapes in the centres. even in firsts their first choice pairing at this stage is Naden & Talau. Saukuru in SG Ball and even Sione Vaihu is of a similar build in Flegg. will be interesting to see how they develop.

agree with you on halves. aside from Isdale’s long kicking game I thought he was poor. Large had some moments (Oitmann’s second, high kicks) but was relatively quiet. might be more to do with the fact that the forward pack was rolled by St George who consistently won the collision. guess we’ll see next week!

jrtiger

Juniors
And no drinks breaks either
Your right though, game standard was definatly down. Matts especially.

Dragons often had overlaps as well on the right side but always took the wrong option of the inside ball.
Luke will be #1 next season in SG Ball. They will pick him then work the backline around him. He is so similiar to Billy Slater just sneaking around the ruck waiting for his chance to run.
Da Silva will be in 1st grade sooner rather than later. I think Wests plan with him (and Prop Christopher Faaguto) will be to join the Flegg squad once SG Ball is finished. They will not play club footy at all this season and probably for the next 15 years. They will play maybe 8-10 games in Flegg and maybe 2-3 games for Reserve Grade just to get them against Men. A bit like what they did with Justin Matamua in 2022.

Should be a good day. Matts are at 2.30 and SG at 4pm.
Fa’agutu, Laulili’i, Da Silva, Feledy and Sukkar seem the most likely to jump through the grades this year ala Pole and Matamua. Miller still needs time, might get a couple games off the bench in flegg. will be interesting who the club thinks is ready to take the next step.

you’ve obviously seen more of Karnib than me, but from what I’ve seen he looks a more complete fullback than Laulili’i at this stage. that said, there’s plenty of time for Laulili’i to develop the other parts of his game that he needs to succeed at the higher levels.
Laualilii has 0 kicking game. So that is a massive part of a fullbacks game that he needs to develop.
Gallagher and Makasini are both huge but it seems as if that’s what WT want in terms of body shapes in the centres. even in firsts their first choice pairing at this stage is Naden & Talau. Saukuru in SG Ball and even Sione Vaihu is of a similar build in Flegg. will be interesting to see how they develop.

Your 100% right about that. They even have Callum McMenemy in the 2nd row when hes been a centre for years. He also is a big body.
agree with you on halves. aside from Isdale’s long kicking game I thought he was poor. Large had some moments (Oitmann’s second, high kicks) but was relatively quiet. might be more to do with the fact that the forward pack was rolled by St George who consistently won the collision. guess we’ll see next week!

I expect both to be massive this week. Isdale is to good a player to have 2 ordinary games in a row

Ive just seen the team line up. Oitmann scores 2 tries and gets dropped???
Im guessing he has a niggle or 2 as i heard a lot of the squad pulled up sore after Saturday.
His replacement Saint Fuatimau is unreal. In my opinion he is a centre or fullback and a bit wasted on the wing but he has the best tackle tech i have ever seen for a back. Just folds kids.

Fa’agutu, Laulili’i, Da Silva, Feledy and Sukkar seem the most likely to jump through the grades this year ala Pole and Matamua. Miller still needs time, might get a couple games off the bench in flegg. will be interesting who the club thinks is ready to take the next step.
Miller is only 17. 10 years time he will be hitting his peak as a prop. No need to rush this kid.

jrtiger

Juniors
Ive just seen the team line up. Oitmann scores 2 tries and gets dropped???
Im guessing he has a niggle or 2 as i heard a lot of the squad pulled up sore after Saturday.
His replacement Saint Fuatimau is unreal. In my opinion he is a centre or fullback and a bit wasted on the wing but he has the best tackle tech i have ever seen for a back. Just folds kids.
I'd say its injury. there were no defensive lapses down his side and he scored two decent tries. I saw your post on Fuatimau a couple weeks back, hopefully ends up making a better go of it than Iverson and Compton.

cheers for the stats too mate. didn't read too much into the error count or completion rates given the age of the side plus how hot it was on the weekend. Lewis and Schaafhausen-Mino do some excellent cleanup work through the middle. Laulili's meterage is insane. 143 metres in 35 degree heat in 60 minutes and it was a quiet game by his standards. huge prospect.

hopeful this week that the pack is able to win the collision on both sides of the ball which should see a more improved game from the halves. it seemed as if because we were on the back foot that effectively none of the spine could put it together. despite the fact that they were quiet and fairly average their kicking game was still decent and they were able to contribute to a couple of tries.

I'd say its injury. there were no defensive lapses down his side and he scored two decent tries. I saw your post on Fuatimau a couple weeks back, hopefully ends up making a better go of it than Iverson and Compto

cheers for the stats too mate. didn't read too much into the error count or completion rates given the age of the side plus how hot it was on the weekend. Lewis and Schaafhausen-Mino do some excellent cleanup work through the middle. Laulili's meterage is insane. 143 metres in 35 degree heat in 60 minutes and it was a quiet game by his standards. huge prospect.
I really really rate both kids. Both work horses, although i was dissapointed that both had poorer games on Saturday. Denzel made a few errors and Kohan went away from what works for him. Last week against Manly he was getting whacked but would always get on his feet before the markers to get that play the ball in, yet against the Dragons he was trying of offload in tackles. Both are tough boys to. Last season in a club game Kohan broke his wrist early in the 1st half of a game but played the whole game. In the middle of the ruck to.
hopeful this week that the pack is able to win the collision on both sides of the ball which should see a more improved game from the halves. it seemed as if because we were on the back foot that effectively none of the spine could put it together. despite the fact that they were quiet and fairly average their kicking game was still decent and they were able to contribute to a couple of tries.

100% mate
Chase Hepi is a huge inclusion. Agile prop who gets mega post contact metres. So he should get the ruck going properly