What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 1 - Sharks vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 4th March 7:35pm @ PointsBet Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
156 days. That's a long time. That's how long I've been waiting to do this post and the day has finally arrived. It's been 156 days since our 2022 Season was ended one game short of the Grand Final, not that I'm counting or anything.

It feels so surreal to finally be making this post but this week, on Saturday night, we kick off a new Season, the 2023 Season as we take on the Sharks in a blockbuster. A Season that promises so, so much. Can we do it? can we go one step further than last year and finally bring that trophy back to Redfern? We shall find out. All the weeks and weeks of hard grafting over Pre-Season in the sweltering summer heat is finally over and the boys have a game to prepare for. The journey starts this week.

No doubt it's one hell of a test to open the year. Mark my words, Cronulla in Cronulla will be one of the toughest road trips for any team this year. The Sharks are a great side, we all know that already, and just like us, they have the potential to be even better in 2023. They're a Premiership contender in my eyes and I'm pretty confident they'll be top four. So as I said, huge test to open the Season. It's made even more difficult by the fact that we're playing on their dung heap at Shark Park, a place that is a bit of a fortress for them. We haven't won there since 2014 so it's been a long time. No doubt we don't normally play well there and it's proved to be a bit of a graveyard. That needs to change this week. Significantly, making things potentially easier for us is the injury to Hynes. It would be huge news if he was ruled out, However, I don't think that will happen. He's the key to everything for them and he'll play.

For us, well I'm sure the boys are amping. We look in some of the best shape I've seen a Souths side to start a Season. Fit, happy, excited and raring to go. I hope that all translates into our Footy. I do see this game as a must win for us given our draw to start the year and I'm sure the lads know that. We can't have a repeat of 2022 where we started slow and were chasing our tails. We have to start fast. It's a tough start but I have faith, we can do it and send out a big warning, make our intentions clear in the process. We're so settled at the moment with all the combinations already there and I don't think the boys could be more ready for this week if they tried. Our only injury concern coming into Round 1 is Sele who is touch and go. Would be huge for us if he played.

So here we go, strap yourselves in and get ready because the show is about to get on the road!!! The 2023 NRL Telstra Premiership is finally here!

callmack1

Staff member
It appears as though Hynes has been ruled out for Cronulla. Sounds like he failed the fitness test today. Huge news!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 1 against the Sharks,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele/Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Burgess/Mitchell

The backline is a no brainer and explains itself but there is a bit of conjecture around our pack, particularly with Hame being in some doubt. I've gone Sele/Burgess in the starting side because if Hame is fit, he starts for mine with Burgess on the bench. If not, and Hame is ruled out, I think JD will start Tom and Shaq will come onto the bench. In my personal opinion, Tom is far more effective coming off the bench than starting, he's had some average games starting, but I think this is what will happen and JD will go that way if Hame is out. Surely Tom will do a job this time.

There's also been a little bit of debate about our second row. I too have read the articles that Jai is going to play more in the middle this year. However, I don't think that means he'll start there or come off the bench. In my personal view, at least for the opening Rounds until Hosty really gets up to speed, Jai starts at second row and then moves into the middle when Hosty comes on. That may change as the Season progresses, but I don't think we can throw Hosty straight back into a starting role in a blockbuster Round 1 game when he's hardly played the past year. He'll do a great job off the bench for now.

The rest of the pack is pretty self-explanatory.

Very excited for the first team list Tuesday of the year!!!

callmack1

Staff member
For the first time this year, let's gooooo!!!!!!

Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round One against Sharks: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/02/28/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-one-against-sharks/

Yoohoo first line up for the Season, how bloody exciting! It's a damn strong line up too. Most of it is as predicted with a few surprises in there for sure.

No unexpected calls in the backline and halves, we're settled there. It's the forward pack that gets interesting. Tom named to start with Jai remaining on the left edge back row. While I don't mind that, and it's probably only like that since Hame is injured, I do prefer Tom coming off the bench. That's the only thing. the rest of the pack is as expected.

Interesting bench with the big omission being Hosty. Here's nowhere to be seen in the squad at all so surely he's injured? He'd 100% be on that bench ahead of Chee Kam if fit. That's a shame but I'll back Cheeks to cover it and do a job. Taaffey, Davvy and Shaq make up the remaining spots. So looking at it, our bench is the main area of concern compared to theirs. I think we're slightly weaker there but I hope the boys can prove me wrong.

Good to see Jed and DSF back fit, otherwise they wouldn't have been named at all.

Strong team over all, just pumped for Saturday now!

callmack1

Staff member
Hynes confirmed out, he wasn't named. That changes a lot as he's one of the comps best. Huge news! Royce Hunt is out too but they've still named a very good side which is a testament to their depth. We're still in for a huge test on Saturday night.

What South Sydney need from Lachlan Ilias if they're to win the NRL Premiership in 2023: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/south-sydney-rabbitohs-lachlan-ilias/102028960

The change that could land Souths the title: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...3/news-story/5de79c4a2d805b999ca74ded99b852a7

big hit!

Bench
interesting DSF is behind Moale and S.Mitchell in the big bopper pecking order. Has he been injured and a little underdone?

big hit!

Bench

I'm hearing it daily that the pre-season has been the best this crop of players have ever experienced. But the Pre-season is done now. The grind of competition is about to begin. Hopefully, the standards and training of the past 15 weeks will make a difference when it matters.

Some top teams have lost influential players. Souths is no different with the loss of Nicholls. But the team is very settled. No doubt about it. The two bogey teams are definitely weaker this year. Penrith are both underdone with a very short pre-season, and have lost big talent. Melbourne have lost cattle, and are going through an injury crisis already. Cronulla at Endeavour is normally a fruitless journey for Souths, but Hynes is out this week. The team is literally being kissed on the dick for a premiership tilt this season. Although it's a tough stretch of matches, I think Souths are in the best position of all the clubs they play in the first couple of months.

The big question for Souths is can Latrell stay on the park and give the club 20+ matches, and be playing at the business end of the season. If that's the case, then Souths are going to be hard to beat given the developments for the rest of the comp over the pre-season.

Steenson123

Juniors
We
I'm hearing it daily that the pre-season has been the best this crop of players have ever experienced. But the Pre-season is done now. The grind of competition is about to begin. Hopefully, the standards and training of the past 15 weeks will make a difference when it matters.

Some top teams have lost influential players. Souths is no different with the loss of Nicholls. But the team is very settled. No doubt about it. The two bogey teams are definitely weaker this year. Penrith are both underdone with a very short pre-season, and have lost big talent. Melbourne have lost cattle, and are going through an injury crisis already. Cronulla at Endeavour is normally a fruitless journey for Souths, but Hynes is out this week. The team is literally being kissed on the dick for a premiership tilt this season. Although it's a tough stretch of matches, I think Souths are in the best position of all the clubs they play in the first couple of months.

The big question for Souths is can Latrell stay on the park and give the club 20+ matches, and be playing at the business end of the season. If that's the case, then Souths are going to be hard to beat given the developments for the rest of the comp over the pre-season.
Well spotted. The loss of both Kikaiu and Korasaiu [hope I spelled both fellas names correctly!] is enormous for us. Both totally changed the outcome of that last Final both did enormous damage after we led 12-0. Now they are gone and another nemesis in Chrichton is leaving as well plus that back up # 8 to Easts. This is going to seriously weaken Penrith and bring them back down. They have lost critical personnel and are about to lose even more. Struggle street has arrived at last for them!
Melbourne too have lost many experienced personnel and given the seriousness of his blessure Papahowzyen [spell?] will be lucky to run again let alone play contact football. The guy should retire he is still young and a serious knee injury can cripple one for life. No wonder Bellamy looks about 100 his squad has been completely ravaged and Grant now has to play a full game [have you all noticed how aged that man looks?].
In sum, you are correct. Its much more open than the past few seasons. There to be taken. Easts Canberra and NQ are all capable, as is Cronulla, but if we are focused and do not suffer any critical long term blessures its there to win.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider Round One: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/01/rabbitohs-insider-round-one/

Souths Shot - Round 1 Showdown in the Shire: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/01/souths-shout-round-1-showdown-in-the-shire/

Righteo, some interesting developments in our line up for Round 1 today. Obviously, the team was named yesterday, but I don't think that'll be the team that runs out. In fact, I'm pretty confident it won't be. As we all know by now, throughout the week, the starting 13 all train in the red shirts while the bench and reserves all wear green. Very interesting watching training footage from the boys at Bunnies TV, I noticed Chee-Kam and Moale in red, while Arrow and Burgess were both wearing green.

This indicates Cheeks to start on the left edge, Moale to start in the middle with Tom and Jai on the bench. I don't mind that if so, the impact off our bench will be crazy!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Rabbitohs Insider Round One: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/01/rabbitohs-insider-round-one/

Souths Shot - Round 1 Showdown in the Shire: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/01/souths-shout-round-1-showdown-in-the-shire/

Righteo, some interesting developments in our line up for Round 1 today. Obviously, the team was named yesterday, but I don't think that'll be the team that runs out. In fact, I'm pretty confident it won't be. As we all know by now, throughout the week, the starting 13 all train in the red shirts while the bench and reserves all wear green. Very interesting watching training footage from the boys at Bunnies TV, I noticed Chee-Kam and Moale in red, while Arrow and Burgess were both wearing green.

This indicates Cheeks to start on the left edge, Moale to start in the middle with Tom and Jai on the bench. I don't mind that if so, the impact off our bench will be crazy!

This makes a lot more sense i think until Sele and Havili return we will see Jai and Tom off the bench playing in the middle.

i honestly believe our full strength forward pack would look like.

8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koala
12. Host
13. Murray

14. Taafe
15. Arrow
16. Havili
17. Sele

callmack1

Staff member
Effort over perfection the focus for JD ahead of Round One: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...perfection-the-focus-for-jd-ahead-of-round-1/

Yewwww! How good to be back watching a game day eve coaches' media! Great first up interview from JD. Seems excited but also very focused. I especially loved what he said about needing to 'walk the walk.' We've been talking it up all Pre-Season, and rightly so, but as JD has said, it's just talk. Now is the time to go do it, go put it all out there on the field.

Even more pumped for tomorrow after watching that!

callmack1

Staff member
Good morning my fellow Souths members and fans!! Get up, rise and shine, get ready because it's game day!! What a glorious morning as our boys will open their account for 2023 tonight against the Sharks over there in the Shire. Finally, after months of a grueling Off-Season, the Pre-Season training is over, the wait is over and we can finally get into it and get this show on the road. I'm not sure if I've ever been this pumped for a Season start. The boys look ready, hungry and extremely fired up too.

Massive test to open the Season though. It cannot be understated, this will be a huge test. Cronulla were one of the top teams last year and I expect that to be the case again in 2023. We don't know what they've done over the Pre-Season to improve either so they could be even better! So, even without Hynes, tonight is a huge challenge. You look at their line up and just think 'wow.' Packed with stars, firepower and skill almost everywhere you look. In my opinion, they have one of the most formidable packs in the comp and their backs are all class too. Normally they'd have Hynes to put the icing on the cake, so his loss is huge for them, but it won't shake them, I'm sure. We need to be prepared for one hell of a contest.

It's made officially tougher by the fact that we're playing on their dung heap. Shark Park. A stadium we haven't won at in nine years, since 2014, so our record there is terrible. Granted, that means nothing tonight and our boys can go re-write that history, but it is clearly a bit of a fortress and a tough ground to play at. Certainly gives the Sharks a huge home advantage so they have a bit of an edge there.

However, as I said, our boys won't give a crap about that. We'll be ready. There's a different feeling around the club this year and it's time for the mighty Red and Green's to walk the walk. It all starts tonight and for us, this is a huge game. We have to get our Season started on the right note or the pressure will be on from the get-go. JD said it himself yesterday, we can't expect the perfect, polished performance in Round 1 but we do have to be pretty damn good to get past the Sharks at home. The biggest thing for me id defence. We were a pretty good defensive team at the end of last year and that needs to improve even more. It needs to carry over into this year. If we can get it right and defend well, it'll go a long way. The second thing is completions, an area we were terrible at at times in 2022 and it did cost us sometimes. We can't afford to do that against the good sides and we can't afford to do that tonight, hopefully it has improved. If we can do both these things first and foremost, which is easier said than done, I'm confident we have the attack, the star power, and the strike to get past Cronulla.

So good morning and happy game day, the first of the year. Certainly, gonna be one hell of a game to kick off 2023 for us. Let's paint their stadium Red and Green!!! Let's get this show on the road!!

callmack1

Staff member
From The Sporting News,

Rabbitohs stars Keaon Koloamatangi and Campbell Graham hoping to break 'frustrating' curse in 2023

It's the elephant in the room over the past half a decade - when the pressure is on, South Sydney have continued to crumble.

After four prelim final losses and a heartbreaking grand final defeat the hands of Penrith, the club have entered 'always the bridesmaid, never the bride' territory on the field.

In this five-year period, the Rabbitohs have had three different coaches and none of them have been able to bring the Provan-Summons Trophy home to their adoring fanbase.

So the question is - how do they change it and go all the way in 2023?

Speaking to The Sporting News ahead of the start of the NRL season, second-rower Keaon Koloamatangi admitted the demons from past seasons were quietly weighing on the group.

“We don’t really talk about it, but everyone is probably the same – it gives me an extra driving factor," he said.

"It is a bit frustrating that we’ve been beaten that many times one off the grand final or in the grand final.

"It shows that we are right there and we are doing the right things to get to the prelim, but we just have to tweak a few things to get us that prelim win and get into the grand final again.

"We are having little lapses in games and not starting how we should be and it’s catching back up to us. We want to stay ruthless and have that mindset going into big games and playing hard.

"With no new signings, we know what everyone is about and we don’t have to integrate anyone new into the team, so we can just build on last year."

With a star-studded roster across the park, Souths don't need to change much in terms of their style of play and the club have taken the bold step of not signing a single player to their top squad during the off-season.

Representative centre Campbell Graham believes their premiership hopes may rely on improving the mental aspect of the game.

“Maybe a mindset shift and having an understanding of how we want to close out games," he said.

"We need to have a better mental preparation in those big games."

Jason Demetriou instilling confidence in unchanged Bunnies

In his first year in charge, Jason Demetriou proved exactly why the Rabbitohs were willing to put faith in a rookie coach to take over from Wayne Bennett - a formula that has previously led to disasters at the Dragons and Knights.

After some shaky moments early and mid-way through the year, Demetriou was able to get the Bunnies clicking at the right time of the year and put them one game away from a grand final appearance.

Koloamatangi was full of praise for the second-year head coach and the faith he has put in their stable playing group.

“We haven’t had any signings and it probably shows that he believes in the squad," Koloamatangi said.

"He is really good at giving individuals lots of confidence and I feel like that’s how I have grown my game last year. He gave me confidence and a lot of freedom.

"This pre-season, he has just re-emphasised how much defence means – that’s probably why we fell apart against Penrith in last year’s prelim.

"He wants to keep us in the top-three defensive teams in the comp and it’s all about attitude…we have done a lot of stuff on that and having a reason why we do what we do."

Demetriou's impact on the group has been profound and the 47-year-old has been able to get the best out of players such as Koloamatangi, Graham, Isaiah Tass and Tevita Tatola.

When quizzed on whether or not Demetriou had changed his approach during his second pre-season, Graham told The Sporting News it's been more of the same as the Rabbitohs look to win their 22nd title.

"He hasn’t changed too much - there are areas we need to improve on if we want to take that next step and win the comp," he said.

"Our focus is in our process and the way we want to play our footy – winning comps and those things are a long way away and JD has reinforced the idea of sticking to our process.

"There hasn’t been too much change in our roster – everyone here understands the process and principles, so it has made this pre-season very smooth."

Cameron Murray growing into captaincy role

Not only did the Rabbitohs have a brand-new head coach in 2022, they also went into the season with a new captain in local junior Cameron Murray.

The NSW and Australian lock-forward had been earmarked for a senior leadership role since bursting onto the scene in 2017 and has already proven to be an asset with the big C next to his name.

One man who knows Murray better than most is Koloamatangi, with the pair playing junior footy together for Mascot and junior reps for Souths, and he admits there is nobody else who deserves the role more.

“Cam isn’t really a big talker, he more leads by his actions and that’s what you can see on the field...for me, that’s the leader that I want – someone that does the dirty work with you and leads by example," he said.

"I feel like he is sort of finding his voice, he is only a young captain and he has got Cody [Walker] and Cookie [Damien Cook] that are a lot older than him, so it’s probably a bit overwhelming that he has to speak up in front of them.

"He is doing a good job and we all believe in him and we always knew he was going to get it. I have always known what he is about and I wouldn’t want anyone else to be my captain."

Attack wins games, defence wins premierships

If the Rabbitohs are going to go one or two steps further and lift the trophy this season, it's going to come down to their defence.

It's no secret that the cardinal and myrtle can score points at will, especially with the likes of Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell down the left side, but their tendency to leak points has been their downfall at times.

Koloamatangi revealed their defensive structures and attitude have become a major focal point this pre-season.

“We want to be one of the best defensive teams in the comp," he said.

"We’ve always known for the past couple of years and ever since I have been here that we have so much points in us.

"Most of our key positions have points in them and we’ve got to support the spine and the ball-players by doing our job in defence and give them the ball in the right positions."

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are fellow Bunnies Members and Supporters the long wait is over it’s round 1 again. All the blood sweat and tears the boys put into pre season is all over all that tough yakka all the endless hours on the training paddock it’s all time to start putting that into action. This pre season has been much more settled for the boys it seems and they’re still no doubt burning from just falling short last year. What’s great is we have kept the squad together brought nobody in, we have tight not group. We have such a strong coaching staff with JD, Hornby, Morris and big Slammin Sam now also an assistant coach. As JD said yesterday it’s now time to walk the walk. The boys know we need to start stronger than last year.

First up at Shark Park it won’t be easy at all even without Hynes. They will be burning from last years finals exit and want revenge and to start off strong in front of their home faithful. It can be a hostile environment at Shark Park and we haven’t won there in 9-10 years but we can break that tonight. For the Sharks they have a strong side all over the field quality in the back with Ramien, Talakai, Mulitalo, Trindall coming in for Hynes is a good back up, they have a very strong pack as well with good go forward so we need to be on our game. For us I’m looking forward to watching the spine in action. But first we must lay the platform in the middle and complete our sets highly don’t give away cheap possession or cheap outs with penalties. Starts with getting the little things right. I’m looking forward to watching Davvy Moale he’s had a big pre season and I think he’s in for a big year and Thompson is another one that excites me. Damien has had a full pre season too and is in for a big year. Big Shaq as well looking the fittest he ever has

Whether at Shark Park or at home or wherever you are let’s makes sure we all get right behind our boys tonight wear the colours proudly today as well! We need to start off well and get those 2 competition points tonight.

COMETH 7:33PM ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ON YA FEET. SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WE STAND LETS URGE THE BOYS HOME TO A WIN. TO START OUR CAMPAIGN WHETHER AT SHARK PARK OR AT HOME IN FRONT OF THE TV ITS TIME TO CHEER SHOUT AND SCREAM ONCE MORE! GLORY GLORY LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

callmack1

Staff member
It's almost time..... Time to kick off our Season. Go and put it all out there lads, stick it up the Sharks and all their fans.

I've been feeling confident all day but now I'm a nervous wreck!!

Let's get this show on the road lads! Enjoy the game everyone.

We can do thisssss!!!

Fire up and Glory, Glory!!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Great performance!
I thought they were in a bit of trouble with the physicality of the Sharks pack, but I shouldn't have been sweating it. They AGAIN showed they v
can take a bashing, and then come out as dish it up double over.
Illias was very very good, Campbell was superb, and I thought Shaq was close to best foward. Great work, heavy workload on both sides of the ball.

Glory Glory!

Latest posts