What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GAME THREAD: Eels v Sea Eagles - Round 3 (16th March 2023)

Bandwagon

Staff member
What that analysis doesn't say is when the misses occur. Is it when the game is on the line or the difference between going to Golden point or losing.

I don't recall too many games Reynolds and Cleary missing clutch kicks that could have either won the game, sent it to Golden point.

Throw in Moses can't structure up a set to nail a FG when under pressure.

He may kicked 6 FGs for parra but I reckon 5 of them he had kicked have been token shots when in front by 30.

Again though he still kicks at 80%, there's no merkin in our squad better, and you aint signing Reynolds or Cleary.

As for when they occur, I think the bad sticks a lot more in the memory, but at any rate all I'm saying is what I said, the call to f**k him off as goal kicker is premature, and regardless, who do you throw in that's better?

Gutho's our only other recognised kicker, and he kicks at around 70%

eels_fan

First Grade
We certainly are playing like a team in contention for the spoon
Are we?

The mark of a team in contention for the spoon is losing to teams also in contention for a spoon.

I dont think anyone had Storm, Sharks, Manly (or Penrith or Roosters) pencilled in to their bottom 4-6. In fact every pundit had those 5 in their top 8, and nearly all had 4 of those 5 in their top 4.

I don't think losing to likely top 4 candidates means you are fighting for a spoon, it likely means you are fighting for a spot from 6th-12th as you're a rung below the top 4. Entering the season and looking at most pundits/experts predictions, as well as our own here in the prediction thread - most had us in the bottom half of the 8.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Are we?

The mark of a team in contention for the spoon is losing to teams also in contention for a spoon.

I dont think anyone had Storm, Sharks, Manly (or Penrith or Roosters) pencilled in to their bottom 4-6. In fact every pundit had those 5 in their top 8, and nearly all had 4 of those 5 in their top 4.

I don't think losing to likely top 4 candidates means your are fighting for a spoon, it likely means you are fighting for a stop from 6th-12th as you're a rung below the top 4. Entering the season and looking at most pundits/experts predictions, as well as our own here in the prediction thread - most had us in the bottom half of the 8.

Please don’t go full gronk.

I never said we’re getting the wooden spoon. I said we’re are playing like a team in contention for the spoon.

just because we lost by 4, it doesn’t mean we played well. We’re playing like a bunch of bustards. Lacking cohesion and direction

hindy111

Post Whore
Just talked to Dad for his summary of the game. He is almost 80 and has been following the Eels all his life and knows more then most people about the game.

His first comment was -

They've got nobody better then Simmonson? He is f**king hopeless. Gets belted, makes mistakes,runs sideways. Surely there has to be a young kid that can make as many mistakes but has some sort of future.

Jnr and Gutherson had a good game. Waqa and Sivo for big guys don't run that hard and don't do enough work.

RCG try cost them the game ultimately. Parra would of went on with it from that point. Most of Manlys trys where arsy. Ref's have cost Parra two games with wrong calls on a forward pass.

Need Matterson back and would be 3 from 3 had the merkin played

Eelementary

Post Whore
You only miss the number of kicks you miss, where you miss them from doesn't change that.

Like I said, forms temporary, you don't f**k off a genuine 80% kicker cause he's been kicking shit for a few weeks.

You do if you don't want to screw your cap up, overpaying for a guy who cannot play to his price tag.

Bandwagon

Staff member
You do if you don't want to screw your cap up, overpaying for a guy who cannot play to his price tag.

Again my comments were only in response to calls to f**k Moses off from kicking duties, which in context has f**k all to do with his current negotiations as he's already signed for this year, there are no salary cap considerations

if we're talking next year, and valuing his extension, that's another matter entirely. And yeah agree, for the reported asking price, you want to see more.

All in all though, despite the fact that if Moses' kicking was better we'd have potentially won three from three, Moses isn't the problem atm, we've scored enough points, and defensively he's as good as you'd expect from a half.

Eel2reel

Juniors
Just talked to Dad for his summary of the game. He is almost 80 and has been following the Eels all his life and knows more then most people about the game.

His first comment was -

They've got nobody better then Simmonson? He is f**king hopeless. Gets belted, makes mistakes,runs sideways. Surely there has to be a young kid that can make as many mistakes but has some sort of future.

Jnr and Gutherson had a good game. Waqa and Sivo for big guys don't run that hard and don't do enough work.

RCG try cost them the game ultimately. Parra would of went on with it from that point. Most of Manlys trys where arsy. Ref's have cost Parra two games with wrong calls on a forward pass.

Need Matterson back and would be 3 from 3 had the merkin played
I totally agree with your dad. And as someone who was born late 60s. I can tell you the only thing he missed is our coach genuinely having absolutely nothing resembling tactis. Not a single tactic. Not a sausage. He is a mono syllabic moron.

Bandwagon

Staff member
And kicking being close to 100% mental, the player is clearly distracted.

Not 100%, obviously there's technique and ability, but yeah, if you can kick at say 70%, you're physically able to kick at say 90%, 'cause there's not that much variety and to kick at 70% you have to be able to kick from any position, so the difference has to be application, not ability.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I totally agree with your dad. And as someone who was born late 60s. I can tell you the only thing he missed is our coach genuinely having absolutely nothing resembling tactis. Not a single tactic. Not a sausage. He is a mono syllabic moron.
Honestly this is f**king nonsense, you don't coach in the NRL without an appreciation of tactics, and you don't get the results of recent years without the same.

I'm dead certain he isn't the most tactically astute coach in the NRL, but he's far from the worst.

lucablight

First Grade
Honestly this is f**king nonsense, you don't coach in the NRL without an appreciation of tactics, and you don't get the results of recent years without the same.

I'm dead certain he isn't the most tactically astute coach in the NRL, but he's far from the worst.
I didn’t like the fact that the players drove to the grand final last season instead of bonding together. That was a huge tactical blunder and I hope he does differently next time if he gets the opportunity again.

Eel2reel

Juniors

Stick with it mate. The results will be the same.

Eel2reel

Juniors
I didn’t like the fact that the players drove to the grand final last season instead of bonding together. That was a huge tactical blunder and I hope he does differently next time if he gets the opportunity again.
Agree. Except that is man management. Tactics in terms of game science is what this dope lacks. Chase the collision isn't tactics. And when someone shows me an adjustment implemented during a game to counter a deficiency of ours or a strength of of the opposition Ill listen. Meanwhile I'll stand back and wait for some ex army bureaucrat from perth to produce a stat sheet... thank f%$k he's on ignore, or I'd die bored.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Again my comments were only in response to calls to f**k Moses off from kicking duties, which in context has f**k all to do with his current negotiations as he's already signed for this year, there are no salary cap considerations

if we're talking next year, and valuing his extension, that's another matter entirely. And yeah agree, for the reported asking price, you want to see more.

All in all though, despite the fact that if Moses' kicking was better we'd have potentially won three from three, Moses isn't the problem atm, we've scored enough points, and defensively he's as good as you'd expect from a half.

Fair enough, mate.

He's not our issue at the moment - though I don't think he's doing enough to warrant the price tag he wants.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not sure if BA is tactically poor, or his players don't pay attention.

There are times when the opposition gives us a perfect target (eg: in round 1, the Storm had a second-rower playing on the wing, and we bombed to him once...which he dropped), and we seem ro ignore it.

Eel2reel

Juniors
I'm not sure if BA is tactically poor, or his players don't pay attention.

There are times when the opposition gives us a perfect target (eg: in round 1, the Storm had a second-rower playing on the wing, and we bombed to him once...which he dropped), and we seem ro ignore it.
Yep. Heres a coaching technique "hey, Mitch start kicking to the corners or open field... not down the throat. Mitch you've not stopped , you're dropped and by the way youre worth 800".

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Cleary and Reynolds are probs the top goal kickers in the comp, but compare them to Moses.

Cleary - 2020 79.63% 2021 85.45% 2022 85.39% 2023 60%

Reynolds 2020 85.22% 2021 79.19% 2022 84.72% 2023 75%

Moses 2020 81.43% 2021 75% 2022 78.51% 2023 57.14%

So they're kicking at roughly 85% to Moses 80%, which translates to them on average landing 17 kicks from 20 attempts, to Moses landing 16 kicks from 20 attempts.

That's f**k all difference, I'd suggest to replace him you'd want an 85% plus kicker, like say Cleary or Reynolds.

In other words unless you have the best or one of the best in the league to replace him, you're kidding yourself.
Great analysis Cookwagon.