What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Broncos Rd 3 2023

kit66

Bench
Stop me if you've heard this one before :

SACK GRIFFIN!!!!!!

Seriously, one loss and we're back to this ? It wasn't Hook making all those stoopid errors or missing tackles or giving the Broncos a free ride like that poxy ref, or deciding drinks breaks wouldn't be required.

We just matched it for 70 minutes with arguably the benchmark team of the competition (at home) and definitely a top 4 or even top 2 forward pack. Forget the last 10 minutes, didn't happen. I thought our boys were great and once again big wraps to our bench coming on and playing above their weight. The combination of Kerr's quick play the balls and Liddle's darts out of dummy half need to be happening shortly after kick off though with Sloan and Bud ready to capitalize and with Mbye back to the bench. I also wonder why we put the Off Loads away this week with only 4 but the 12 last week got us some line breaks and a try.
I'll say it now, with more time together and with some tweaking and not too many injuries or suspensions we're a real chance of making the 8.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Don't disagree with most of the posts- yes, referee penalised us for thinking about being offside, a possible offside in Staggs kick and chase try was glossed over etc etc.. however, for mine, and this is no criticism because he normally carries us on his back, I thought Ben Hunt had, by his standards, a poor game. That sloppy pass he threw to (I think) Faigaa said it all. He has to dominate for us to beat good sides. Reynolds was miles ahead of him.

kit66

Bench
Don't disagree with most of the posts- yes, referee penalised us for thinking about being offside, a possible offside in Staggs kick and chase try was glossed over etc etc.. however, for mine, and this is no criticism because he normally carries us on his back, I thought Ben Hunt had, by his standards, a poor game. That sloppy pass he threw to (I think) Faigaa said it all. He has to dominate for us to beat good sides. Reynolds was miles ahead of him.

Talking about sloppy work - it's Feagai, Matt Feagai. :p
But you're right, I think Hunt let the crowd and that ground get to him, he was out of sorts.

possm

Coach
Seriously, one loss and we're back to this ? It wasn't Hook making all those stoopid errors or missing tackles or giving the Broncos a free ride like that poxy ref, or deciding drinks breaks wouldn't be required.

We just matched it for 70 minutes with arguably the benchmark team of the competition (at home) and definitely a top 4 or even top 2 forward pack. Forget the last 10 minutes, didn't happen. I thought our boys were great and once again big wraps to our bench coming on and playing above their weight. The combination of Kerr's quick play the balls and Liddle's darts out of dummy half need to be happening shortly after kick off though with Sloan and Bud ready to capitalize and with Mbye back to the bench. I also wonder why we put the Off Loads away this week with only 4 but the 12 last week got us some line breaks and a try.
I'll say it now, with more time together and with some tweaking and not too many injuries or suspensions we're a real chance of making the 8.
The Dragons were gassed. They tried their best but eventually run out of gas. I say there is a big question mark over the fitness staff and how they prepared the squad, I mean they had an extra week to make suer they were fit and clearly after 60 or so minutes they were out on their ass.

jodragon40

Juniors
I think the Broncos have been the standout team of the opening rounds and did not expect the Dragons to win but the Saints gave it a fair crack for 70 mins. A couple of really dodgy tries as mentioned above and the Bunker quick to award these. 18-18 with 10 to go you would never of expected the score to finish 40-18 the way Saints were playing. It is only their 2nd game of the season and it was in extremely hot conditions with no drinks break which I don't see why they could not bring that in for player welfare.

The guys off the bench made great contributions again which was good. Sloan and Sullivan getting better each week. Suli silly error from the drop out. What was he thinking? From a penalty to Saints in front to a Bronco's penalty then a try. What a turn of events from a stupid play. That I feel turned the game and momentum swung the Bronco's way and they simply capitalised it. Reynolds ran the show. Haas destroyed the Saints in the last 7min. He was a beast and Saints had no answer. They did well to contain him and Walters was smart to give him a big break and bring him on the last 7 mins. Smart coaching. I think Bronco's will be top 4 for sure this season.

Next week against the Sharks will be another test for the boys.
Agree

Agree with most of what you say, but in the second half the team was very brittle, slow in the ruck area, and had little territory. In fact the commentators mentioned well into the second half that Dragons had not been in Bronco's territory. Sullivan needs to tighten up his defense. Too many unforced errors won't cut it at this level.

Parko1310

Juniors
The Dragons were gassed. They tried their best but eventually run out of gas. I say there is a big question mark over the fitness staff and how they prepared the squad, I mean they had an extra week to make suer they were fit and clearly after 60 or so minutes they were out on their ass.
We had 43% of the ball in conditions where humidity was up at 80%. Shot ourselves in the foot early on in both halves with silly penalties and errors. Had we not made just a couple of those errors, I think we win the game. But we did, and Reynolds kept the pressure on with repeat sets. No team in the comp would have been fit enough to deal with what we put ourselves through, the issue is those little moments of stupidity, not the fitness.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Where did I say Liddle can't play more minutes?

I am sure he can as well but considering he has averaged 6 first grade games per season since debuting in 2016 and only played 10 games last year, I'd say managing his minutes and working on his fitness to get him in to 80 minutes is the best way to go.

Has Amone done alright in NSW cup the past two weeks? Why should he be rewarded for not being able to keep his nose clean in the off season?

Mbye's role currently is not a make or break, he is just a ateasy player who wont win us games but doesn't lose them for us either.

Because if this club is ever going to go anywhere anytime soon its going to be the Amones, Sloans, Liddles and Sullivans with some help from Couchmans and co that are taking us there - not Mbye who should only be playing a minor support role at best.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Reynolds owned the match, as a premier halfback should.

BLM01

First Grade
Lomax /Cobbo was close enough / good enough as well, are we going to start awarding tries for that, might as well make it NFL rules
No ref ruled no try and he was right with Lomax as it looked that way. On what i saw and maybe the ref with Paix try it looked like he touched the line before he got held up and not sure the ref may be right too in ruling try.
I would of been happy either way with that one.
My point is not everything is right but it is great not having the bunker throw a magnifying glass over every try for 5 minutes.
NFL rules are all about replays and bunkers.

kit66

Bench

I live in Brissie possm, the weather has been horrendous, you can break into a sweat just opening a beer and walking back to the lounge. If you want to point a finger point it at Fox Sport, I'm sure they had something to do with there not being Drinks Breaks after 20 minutes each half and a longer halftime. At 7:00pm it was still around 27-28 degrees with 83% humidity (so feels like over 30 degrees), that's usually enough to warrant breaks. The boys will need all of the 7 day turnaround to put some weight back on and get fit for the Sharkies.

BLM01

First Grade
I live in Brissie possm, the weather has been horrendous, you can break into a sweat just opening a beer and walking back to the lounge. If you want to point a finger point it at Fox Sport, I'm sure they had something to do with there not being Drinks Breaks after 20 minutes each half and a longer halftime. At 7:00pm it was still around 27-28 degrees with 83% humidity (so feels like over 30 degrees), that's usually enough to warrant breaks. The boys will need all of the 7 day turnaround to put some weight back on and get fit for the Sharkies.
Policy gets enacted supposedly when temp in high 30's or 40"s.
It was a night game no need to.
High humidity not enough as it is like that in Townsville all the time

Dragonsrock

Juniors
I prefer the term realistic forget the 32-2 second half score for a moment. We were up 16-8 at halftime 9 minutes into the second half we were down 18-16. The game was tied 18-18 with 10 to go and the piled 22 points on us. I don't think it's as rosey as people are suggesting we were beaten comprehensively by a much hungrier team though it looks as if we are at a stand still and will have to agree to disagree on last night's performance.
Good for you RedVDave! Facts are facts, for the last 30 years I have been looking for the half full glass and it does not work, shoulda, coulda, woulda's don't matter, the facts are if my Aunty had balls she'd be my uncle! If we didn't drop the ball, if we didn't get penalised for attacking a line drop out, if we didn't run out of steam and on and on etc, we would have won, well the fact is we didn't. I got my first Dragon's jersey 50 years ago this May and attended my first match at Kogarah Jubilee that same year and it is getting harder and harder to watch the nonsense this club dishes up each week. It's come to the point that I love the jersey, I don't like the board, the coach or the effort the players put in, we make the most stupid mistakes and our basic ball skills are so far behind other first grade teams, that I have two options, support another team (not going to happen) or stop watching Rugby League ... pretty likely! I am truly glad for all the supporters on here that are happy to pretend we have a great club, we used to have a great club and we used to play for the jersey, to be able to check out after 70 minutes is disgraceful, the Broncos were in the same heat and humidity, they just wanted it more and by god we gave them plenty of opportunities.
One very disappointed Dragon's and NRL fan, Bring on the AFL!!!

kit66

Bench
Policy gets enacted supposedly when temp in high 30's or 40"s.
It was a night game no need to.
High humidity not enough as it is like that in Townsville all the time

I wasn't aware it was that high, fair enough, dangerous and not in the players' best interests but who am I to argue. I actually thought the high humidity came into play. Their player welfare strategies are all over the place.

Illusion

Bench
Good for you RedVDave! Facts are facts, for the last 30 years I have been looking for the half full glass and it does not work, shoulda, coulda, woulda's don't matter, the facts are if my Aunty had balls she'd be my uncle! If we didn't drop the ball, if we didn't get penalised for attacking a line drop out, if we didn't run out of steam and on and on etc, we would have won, well the fact is we didn't. I got my first Dragon's jersey 50 years ago this May and attended my first match at Kogarah Jubilee that same year and it is getting harder and harder to watch the nonsense this club dishes up each week. It's come to the point that I love the jersey, I don't like the board, the coach or the effort the players put in, we make the most stupid mistakes and our basic ball skills are so far behind other first grade teams, that I have two options, support another team (not going to happen) or stop watching Rugby League ... pretty likely! I am truly glad for all the supporters on here that are happy to pretend we have a great club, we used to have a great club and we used to play for the jersey, to be able to check out after 70 minutes is disgraceful, the Broncos were in the same heat and humidity, they just wanted it more and by god we gave them plenty of opportunities.
Welcome to the mad house , never a truer word spoken 👏 I feel exactly as you do , hit it right on the head , they had to play in the same conditions ....... The thing is , and has been for a long time they are not good enough to win if things go against them ...... I'm hoping they can bounce back next week against the Shark's , if they don't then , it's going to be a long season .....

Mojo

Bench
So… my Aunty is a trannie!! Always had my suspicions. i thought the beard was just an age thing, but those heels.. and the way she sits with her legs akimbo like that…. and I thought her stories of AFL glory days was just alzheimers. After your post I took a closer look and, sure enough, there was a big, ginger haired nutsack escaping either side of her lacy nickers.

Yow

Juniors
Why bother posting BYE BYE

qld redvee

Juniors
I was disappointed with Ben Hunts defence close to the line. the amount of times he appeared to give away 6 agains whilst sprinting out of the line doesnt help us with a defencive line . thought kerr and both molos played well . definitely bird was buggered and why hook has to brink mbye back on to control the game is a strange one. just have to get the boys up for next week

Jim Dragons

Juniors
I thought there was an offside from the 2nd try of the reynolds kick when Staggs scored. never got to see that again either. Could of been wrong
But Tyrell needs to show more gusto in cleaning up / picking up the ball when in the vicinity. Needs to put more his body on the line in those situations and show the desire to beat whoever else is there
l was shouting at the TV too... why don't they listen to us BLM01 and go check these things