What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Chipmunk

Coach
So, can any of you Labor "lovers" justify the Fed's decision to spend $368 BILLION on 8 Subs and the infrastructure to maintain them.,
I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the comments of the greatest Prime Minister ever, Paul Keating and his views today on this decision. He absolutely smashed them. And he is the most Labor of them all.

$368 Billion!!! FFS.

That could be spent on -

- 200 new schools @ $500 million each = $100 Billion.
- 200 new hospitals @ $500 million each = $100 Billion
- Sydney - Melbourne High Speed Rail = $100 - $150 Billion

That still leaves another $100 - $150 Billion to be spent.
I understand that we need a defence budget, but this is just seriously pissing away taxpayers money.
The Commonwealth doesn't build and/or own hospitals and schools.
A fast train trip from Sydney to Melbourne will cost more than flying.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So, can any of you Labor "lovers" justify the Fed's decision to spend $368 BILLION on 8 Subs and the infrastructure to maintain them.,
I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the comments of the greatest Prime Minister ever, Paul Keating and his views today on this decision. He absolutely smashed them. And he is the most Labor of them all.

$368 Billion!!! FFS.

That could be spent on -

- 200 new schools @ $500 million each = $100 Billion.
- 200 new hospitals @ $500 million each = $100 Billion
- Sydney - Melbourne High Speed Rail = $100 - $150 Billion

That still leaves another $100 - $150 Billion to be spent.
I understand that we need a defence budget, but this is just seriously pissing away taxpayers money.

Firstly this is initiated by the Coalition, they scrapped the French deal, and set us on this path. Prior to that you could go back over another decade or two with kicking the can down the road on subs, it's really been an area where both parties have contributed to a clusterf**k.

The problem now for the current government is they take this deal, or can it and start the entire process again, meanwhile the Collins class just keeps on getting older.

Having said all that, I tend to agree with Keating, in the extremely unlikely event China decided to invade Australia, it has to be by sea, and not exactly by stealth as you'd be talking quite the flotilla, so as he says missile systems and air power are a pretty effective deterrent there, and a hell of a lot cheaper, and it's tech we can deal with locally, pretty much right away.

The advantage of subs though is in protecting shipping, being so reliant as we are on imports, like even for fuel, any attack on Australia would involve a blockade of some nature, and that can happen well out of range of land based missiles or planes, that's where a sub you just can't see is heavily advantageous, cause you'll never know if it's there or not, so like a mobile speed camera, it's more of a deterrent than its numbers suggest.

So from a defence point of view, you're not spending that money on hospitals or schools as an alternative, but you could be spending it on industry in order to make us more self sufficient, and hence less reliant on imported goods.

Or you could ignore all the talk about either this or that, and realise that we're funded by debt anyways and despite the recent blowouts we're still way short of being the basket case that other nations are and so have plenty of headroom to do all sorts of one off spending. Even big numbers like this.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I don’t get it. Small pee pee, daddy didn’t take you to the circus? Surely there are other ways to express your anxieties than kill helpless elephants or giraffes.

1679182308024.jpeg

1679182601626.jpeg
1679182694845.jpeg

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah I don’t get it. Small pee pee, daddy didn’t take you to the circus? Surely there are other ways to express your anxieties than kill helpless elephants or giraffes.

View attachment 71439

View attachment 71442
View attachment 71443

Giraffes? Fair dinkum!!
Are you for real?
Where is the sicko pleasure in killing such a placid animal which is such an easy target?

SOME humans should be eliminated from this earth.
Those last two photos sicken me.
Actually, all the photos do, but the bottom two pictures churn my stomach. :(

hindy111

Post Whore
Giraffes? Fair dinkum!!
Are you for real?
Where is the sicko pleasure in killing such a placid animal which is such an easy target?

SOME humans should be eliminated from this earth.
Those last two photos sicken me.
Actually, all the photos do, but the bottom two pictures churn my stomach. :(

It's f**king weird