What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Broncos Rd 3 2023

possm

Coach
I live in Brissie possm, the weather has been horrendous, you can break into a sweat just opening a beer and walking back to the lounge. If you want to point a finger point it at Fox Sport, I'm sure they had something to do with there not being Drinks Breaks after 20 minutes each half and a longer halftime. At 7:00pm it was still around 27-28 degrees with 83% humidity (so feels like over 30 degrees), that's usually enough to warrant breaks. The boys will need all of the 7 day turnaround to put some weight back on and get fit for the Sharkies.
Yes, I live in North Brisbane and agree with you about the humidity and the hot temperatures. Both the Dragons and Broncos faced this issue however, the Broncos seemed to be a lot fitter in the second half of the match. It just seemed to me that the boys were not properly prepared, fitness wise, for this game.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Good for you RedVDave! Facts are facts, for the last 30 years I have been looking for the half full glass and it does not work, shoulda, coulda, woulda's don't matter, the facts are if my Aunty had balls she'd be my uncle! If we didn't drop the ball, if we didn't get penalised for attacking a line drop out, if we didn't run out of steam and on and on etc, we would have won, well the fact is we didn't. I got my first Dragon's jersey 50 years ago this May and attended my first match at Kogarah Jubilee that same year and it is getting harder and harder to watch the nonsense this club dishes up each week. It's come to the point that I love the jersey, I don't like the board, the coach or the effort the players put in, we make the most stupid mistakes and our basic ball skills are so far behind other first grade teams, that I have two options, support another team (not going to happen) or stop watching Rugby League ... pretty likely! I am truly glad for all the supporters on here that are happy to pretend we have a great club, we used to have a great club and we used to play for the jersey, to be able to check out after 70 minutes is disgraceful, the Broncos were in the same heat and humidity, they just wanted it more and by god we gave them plenty of opportunities.
One very disappointed Dragon's and NRL fan, Bring on the AFL!!!
Surely it isn’t that bad as to follow AFL

RedVee_8

Juniors
Yes, I live in North Brisbane and agree with you about the humidity and the hot temperatures. Both the Dragons and Broncos faced this issue however, the Broncos seemed to be a lot fitter in the second half of the match. It just seemed to me that the boys were not properly prepared, fitness wise, for this game.
Possum, remember we had all those line dropouts in the 2nd half. We allowed Brissy to control possession and we had hardly any. It’s a much easier game when you have the ball.

SET2JT

Juniors
Played ok until refs remembered Penalty Broncos.
Don't know how they gave that try from the DH. Never saw the ball touch the ground.
They were never going to let us win that game when all week they have been promoting the 2 undefeated Queensland teams.

kit66

Bench
I was disappointed with Ben Hunts defence close to the line. the amount of times he appeared to give away 6 agains whilst sprinting out of the line doesnt help us with a defencive line . thought kerr and both molos played well . definitely bird was buggered and why hook has to brink mbye back on to control the game is a strange one. just have to get the boys up for next week

Bringing Mbye back on was weird, also coincided with our total capitulation in the last 10 minutes. Mot saying it was his fault but something happened.

possm

Coach
Possum, remember we had all those line dropouts in the 2nd half. We allowed Brissy to control possession and we had hardly any. It’s a much easier game when you have the ball.
Like in previous seasons, our line speed in defense dropped off and our forwards began to be dominated. No player seemed to be tasked with keeping Renyolds quiet and our three quarters found it difficult to defend our wide.

BLM01

First Grade
I prefer the term realistic forget the 32-2 second half score for a moment. We were up 16-8 at halftime 9 minutes into the second half we were down 18-16. The game was tied 18-18 with 10 to go and the piled 22 points on us. I don't think it's as rosey as people are suggesting we were beaten comprehensively by a much hungrier team though it looks as if we are at a stand still and will have to agree to disagree on last night's performance.
It was not rosey by any stretch and i could feel Broncos would break it open but we clung as long as we could. With about 15 to go I was almost going to stop watching because we could not make anything click.
That 1st 9 minutes in the 2nd half did take its toll but we also came out flat.
I was not happy with the dumb things we did and we could not take the limited opportunities we had in the 2nd half.
Not a good result in the end at all but after the Titans and this game i am seeing a marked improvement on what was dished up last year which gives me some hope if we can work on a few things.
Griffin will get the chop after this year anyway but...like many teams we dont have to hit our straps in R3.

since77

Juniors
The turning point of the game was the 2 point field goal right on half time

It completely changed the momentum for them as the ran into the sheds

Inspirational on Reynolds part and something only the best players are capable of working out.
Not to mention the stupidity that gave him the opportunity. Less than a minute before half time, last tackle and instead a booting the ball as far as possible downfield Hunt runs the ball in a zero percentage play. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
We battled hard but Reynolds killed us with his kicking game & broncos ran over the top of us with their superior fitness.

I also thought the rotations were a bit poor, lawrie & bird were on for too many mins & liddle for too few mins, ditto with musgrove & m.molo. They should've seen more gametime to keep lawrie & bird fresher, especially in those conditions.

Score not a true reflection of the contest but more of a reflection at each teams ceiling, Bronocs at their best can put on points for fun.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Something else I want to see from Hunt is him trying those crazy floating bombs like Reynolds/Cleary/DCE etc. He just bombed it for placement which were easy catches for broncos back 3 while Reynolds was nailing those difficult bombs making it hard for our back 3.

Hunt has been poor to start the season imo. Sullivan has outplayed him. We need Hunt to lift this week if we want to beat the sharks.

justadragon

Bench
What we witnessed on Saturday was a classic half back with total game management, Hunt never was and never will be a game manager, In my opinion Sullivan has to mature into that role and let Hunt do what he does best. If we had a good manager on the field to really drag us along when times are really tough it would be a totally different story. I was happy with Sloan and Sullivan and to an extent the team, we are playing a different brand of football and really we just have to continue improving and building. Put Reynolds in our side and we win simple as that.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Our bench was awesome. Loving the combo of Kerr & Musgrove. JDB will only enhance it when he returns.

I hope we get to the stage where we have enough faith in Liddle to play the full 80 so we don't need mbye on the bench. He can be the 18th man imo. That'll allow us to carry 4 middles on the bench which is a better balance for our team. Bird can cover ctr, 2nd, halves & hunt covers hooker. Lomax can play fb.

Victoire

Juniors
Something else I want to see from Hunt is him trying those crazy floating bombs like Reynolds/Cleary/DCE etc. He just bombed it for placement which were easy catches for broncos back 3 while Reynolds was nailing those difficult bombs making it hard for our back 3.

Hunt has been poor to start the season imo. Sullivan has outplayed him. We need Hunt to lift this week if we want to beat the sharks.
Hunt was MOTM in the Titans game...

I think the two of them compliment one another well. I agree Hunt lacks that elite game management skills and makes some wrong choices with his kicking game from time to time but with some time Sullivan can take on more of those responsibilities. Hunt's presence alone helps Sullivan, and vice versa. I don't mind the combo.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Don't forget Possum the Queensland based teams have a huge advantage when games are played up there early in the season as they all train during the summer and are fully acclimatised to playing under those oppressive conditions. I always thought that the NRL should look at that advantage those teams get when playing in March up north.

Victoire

Juniors
Our bench was awesome. Loving the combo of Kerr & Musgrove. JDB will only enhance it when he returns.

I hope we get to the stage where we have enough faith in Liddle to play the full 80 so we don't need mbye on the bench. He can be the 18th man imo. That'll allow us to carry 4 middles on the bench which is a better balance for our team. Bird can cover ctr, 2nd, halves & hunt covers hooker. Lomax can play fb.
They were good, but we obviously struggled to maintain it over 80 minutes. I think the issue is we may actually have too many big men, and lack at least one more mobile 80 minute forward. Brisbane have Capewell, Riki and, if needed, Carrigan who can play 80 - they even have the luxury of resting Carrigan which they did on the weekend. Jack Bird played 80 for us but faded badly after a strong start... and we've also got Murdoch-Masila who needs a break. Sua was our only real 80 minute forward.

kit66

Bench
Hunt was MOTM in the Titans game...

I think the two of them compliment one another well. I agree Hunt lacks that elite game management skills and makes some wrong choices with his kicking game from time to time but with some time Sullivan can take on more of those responsibilities. Hunt's presence alone helps Sullivan, and vice versa. I don't mind the combo.

It's working ok with two halfbacks but we lose the advantages of a running 5/8. Hard to set up sweeping plays a la Hunt & Widdop. Hopefully we will one day get to see an Amone/Bud combo working some set plays together, some off the cuff stuff and some magic like they did in the lower grades.

Latest posts