What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 4 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Saturday 25th March 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, time to drop Round 3 and move on. We must take our learnings from it but otherwise, I don't ever want to think about it again. It's onwards and upwards this week as we move into Round 4 and it's another blockbuster against the Sea Eagles. Another traditional rival of ours with our rivalry stretching back almost 80 years now. And boy, has it been one hell of a rivalry that includes plenty of feeling. It's no secret both sides don't like each other. Well, everyone hates Manly anyway. But in all seriousness, it has been one hell of a rivalry that's included countless big games and big moments including plenty of Grand Finals and Finals. Look forward to resuming it again on Saturday night in another huge game!!

Manly look pretty good I have to admit and we're in for one hell of a challenge this weekend. perhaps much more of a challenge than we thought we'd be in for before the Season started. But no, they look very fresh, very confident and certainly look like they've got it together. They'll be looking to keep the momentum going and keep their unbeaten run going against us. They've got quality all over the park, pretty much everywhere you look I wouldn't say there's anyone that isn't a good player. Of course, they're headlined by stars in the Turbo brothers and DCE. The key to this one for me is certainly winning the middle. In both games I've watched Manly, when they've got that roll on and just poured through, they look extremely hard to stop. But Parra showed last week that if you stand up to them and bully them a bit, they can fold. That then means Tommy Turbo and DCE are far less effective. Parra couldn't do it consistently over 80 minutes, so we have to.

This one really is a must win. I can cop the loss in Round 2 but I don't think anyone associated with South Sydney will cop last week. It is simply unacceptable. The boys will know that, they'll feel exactly the same as us fans, hopefully even worse. I'm expecting a pretty fired up Souths side this weekend, should hopefully get a real bounce back. The boys will know they let a huge opportunity slip last week and we can't compound that with another one this week. We can't afford to lose this one. The fix is pretty simple, just stop the bloody errors!! If we can complete at 80% or above, I think we're going to be a very hard team for anyone to beat so that really needs to be the biggest focus this week. Make 16 errors again and manly will kill us, we just can't do it and we must get it right this time. I think we are unfortunately set to be missing plenty of middles again with Shaq definitely out and it sounds like Junior is in huge doubt too. We really need him to play. We will be boosted by the return of Hosty and hopefully, hopefully Jai so that should help.

It's time to get this start to the Season back on track. Even with guys out, if we get our own game in order, I'm confident we can get one over Manly and do just that. Not gonna be easy, it'll take a huge effort, but it can be done, it has to be done. As I said, losing last week means the pressure is somewhat on this week and it's a must win.

Having our first game back at Accor will help! Saturday night, hopefully good weather, FINALLY a home game, there's no excuse to not get out there and support the boys!!

An exciting week against a fierce rival. Let's get into it!!

Nafedogg

Juniors
Cody needs to pull his head in, the team cannot afford to drop the ball or give away stupid penalties. I think we can all agree that South’s aren’t the best starters of a comp, let’s just hope the wins start coming.

Currrently laying in a hospital bed battling the flu and of course to make it worse the replay of the Roosters game comes on Fox..

handyman2190

Bench
We sat on our laurels in not recruiting 1 player,you cant tell me there was no cap space, i wont be told we didnt save some money re signining cookie and cody some of it probably went towards latrell and illias, but every other club got better and we stayed the same,now injurys are ravaging us and we are not in a good place. Players like hame, and jed even knight should be replaced,they have not provided value or helped us,maybe taane should be used in the forwards, he has mongrel and played internationals at lock

Rabbits20

Immortal
Someone just posted a comment on FB that Jai Arrow re-injured his hammy at training today. I’m not sure if that is true or not. They said he will be out for another month and were told by Jai’s father. I guess we will find out from somewhere else other than the club.

Thumper

Juniors
Perhaps John’s passing will give the boys some extra motivation this week. Especially seeing we are playing Manly. Quite fitting actually.
would love to see the half bunny again on the jersey this week and a tribute to the great man.

callmack1

Staff member
Izaac Tu'itupou Thompson media Round Four: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/20/izaac-tuitupou-thompson-media-round-four/

Damien Cook Media Round Four: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/20/damien-cook-media-round-four/

Lachlan Ilias Media Round Four: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/20/lachlan-ilias-media-round-four/

Emotions should be extremely high for this one. It was already a huge game this one as we need a win, but with Satts passing today, it becomes even bigger. Even more important. If channeling Satts and his spirit and playing for him against his old foe doesn't get the boys up for this game, I don't know what will.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 4 against the Sea Eagles,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Duncan
16. Host
17. Moale

DSF comes straight into the starting line up I reckon, just as he did against Penrith. We kind of have to start Tom alongside him through necessity unfortunately, can't really have him on the bench and have both DSF and Moale starting.

The backrowers remain unchanged, but having Hosty back allows us a little bit more flexibility to move Keaon into the middle when him and Cartwright come on.

We'll get an exemption and Tallis Duncan will make his debut I have no doubt. He'll probably give Cam a spell. And finally, Davvy will round out the bench.

Very interesting team list Tuesday coming up tomorrow, unfortunately because of all the wrong reasons due to injury. Next man up!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round Four against Sea Eagles: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/21/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-four-against-sea-eagles/

One of my favourite days of the week once again, team list Tuesday!! And a very interesting one at that.

Backline remains the same as expected but the make-up of our pack is quite different. DSF and Tommy start in the front row, with the other change to the starting pack being Hosty straight into the starting left edge spot upon his return. While I'm not complaining, I think Cheeks has been a little hard done by going back to the bench.

Speaking of the bench, alongside Cheek Kam is Taaffe (the experiment unfortunately resumes). really thought that with our more inexperienced pack, JD would be almost certain to go with four forwards. Oh well. Davvy and Cartwright are the other bench spots.

Certainly not our best 17 but still a decent side in a testament to our depth. One that is certainly capable of getting the job done.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My Game Preview up early this week

Part 1…….

Well here we are round 4 is nearly upon us. It feels like we have been waiting an eternity for a home game and here it is our first home game of season 2023. I’ve had it circled on the calendar for months now excited for it. Will be good to be back at Accor cheering the boys on I’ll be there in full voice. We have had 3 very hard away games to begin with so I’m sure JD and the boys are looking forward to getting back home. What makes it more of a bigger occasion is that sadly as well know the legendary John Sattler passed away yesterday. I’m sure looking forward to the club and the Burrow doing a few special things for him this Sat Night as we celebrate and remember a legend and all time hero of our club!

So after a strong first win in round 1 we have lost the last two narrowly to Penrith and the Rorters. So we are now 1 and 2 so we don’t wanna lose 3 in a row it’s important to get back into the winners circles this week. We come up against another fierce rival in Manly who we have lots of fiery clashes with over the years and it’s a long and rich history there. Certainly it’s no secret we don’t like Manly and I’m sure they don’t like us. Manly had a bye round 1 but have started strong winning their first two games and they’ll be coming to Accor full of confidence. Also Seibs will want bragging rights against us no doubt as well.

Looking at our team we have named we are down 6 middles unfortunately injuries have hit us hard. It’s going to test our depth there is no doubt about that. The likes of Murray, Keaon and Tom will have to lead the way playing massive mins for us. It gives the likes of DSF and Moale opportunity as well to show what they have in them along with Cheeks and Jed improving on the last couple of weeks. Hosty is back which is good for us he’s a strong solid forward. I have a feeling Ta’affe won’t be on that bench come Sat Night and that young Tallis Duncan might debut. In the backs and halves we look settled which is a good thing. Our biggest area we need to fix is our completion rate completing at 60-65percent you won’t win any games we are beating ourselves I feel 15 errors a game is just too many and we are not building pressure. So first and foremost we must get that completion rate up to around 80percent. Our kicking game as well needs some improvement and we need to get some repeat sets. Our discipline as well we need to cut back on those cheap penalties we have been giving away. In defence stopping the offloads will be key Manly will no doubt be looking to play off the back of second phase play so we must wrap that ball up. And in the air I hope the boys are practicing kick defusals this week it’s an area of weakness for us and we need to be better in that aspect of our game.

Looking at Manly they are looking full strength or close to it. They have Turbo back at FB who has started off very strong and looking very dangerous we can’t give him lots of space and time. Koula at centre is very fast and has good attacking potential so we need to shut him down. Then in the halves they have DCE and Schuster who are combining well together we all know what they can do off the pack of that pack. And then there is their forward pack and they have a big strong pack so our boys will have to match them as best as they can. They have Jurbo, Paseka, Aloiai, Haumole and a big strong bench that gives them good go forward. Where their weakness is, is that I have seen they still look quite vulnerable on the edges so if we hold the ball and build some pressure there are opportunities to be had out wide.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Part 2……..

Cometh Saturday Night in the words of Jezza Good Evening Rabbitohs Members and Supporters and welcome back home to Accor Stadium our first home game of season 2023 great to be back as our Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs take on the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles…… great to see so much Red and Green in the stands here tonight let’s make sure we get behind the boys for the full 80mins. Glad to have you all with us as well as we honour and celebrate the life of the great and legendary John Vale Sattler who is a true Rabbitohs Legend and Hero!

Ok not long til the players come out onto Accor Stadium let’s make sure everyone watching at home knows this is South Sydney home turf and a South Sydney home game! Let’s do all we can to help the boys secure those 2 vital competition points!

Ok as we look down the tunnel here at Accor Stadium we can see the away team making their way down the tunnel! Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles…………

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1……….

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEETTTTT!!! SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YOUR FEET SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT! MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE FOR YOUR BOYS HERE THEY COME YOUR South Sydney RABBITOHS!!!

Please all now be up standing for a moments silence in the memory of the great and legendary John Vale Sattler 4 time Rabbitohs premiership winner……………………

P. S. I believe the club and Burrow have a few things planned for Satts so let’s all get out there. The Burrow wants everyone up standing in the 13th min I believe which is a great tribute.

My Tip: Rabbitohs by 4 in a gutsy and gritty win an emotional win as well down on troops as we all belt out Glory Glory together at FT!