What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Broncos Rd 3 2023

Illusion

Bench
If Amone is still around (ie not in jail) both he and Sullivan will be more seasoned. Next year a transition of Hunt to DH might make more sense. We also have Zach Herring coming through. Or we could go to market. Hopefully a new coach is appointed soon and can start making these plans :)
Hunt should be working around the young halves , he has too much say with what goes on , if he has to go to 9 every now and then to give Sullivan and Amone time in the 7 , 6 he should ..... If we are all waiting for Hunt to have another year like last wont happen , he is a year older , injuries , and last year everything went to him first , with Sullivan and Amone ( if he plays ) then Hunt wont be involved as much ...... Hunts kicking bombs have no purpose at all no pressure put on the opposition ........ So yep I'm all for building our young halves combination for the future and not when Hunt decides he has had enough ...... The team is not going to win the Comp this year or next , or even make the 8 , Anyway lets see how it all pans out this year , maybe we will see improvements and lots of game time from the young brigade , Sloan , Sullivan , Amone , Coachman , Feagai brothers , Ramsey ( hope the kid is OK either way )

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What scoreboard would have been a true reflection? You were scoreless after half time. Did you look like scoring? Is it still an 80 min game?
I dont usually reply to blow ins...but Ill make an exception in your case...if anybody hadnt seen the game and just saw the result then it would have appeared an easy victory but it wasnt.....sure we folded in the end and its an area that needs attention...and technically we wernt scoreless after half time and we did look like scoring when Lomax went over only to have his elbow brush the sideline which may have made a big difference to the result (you obviously chose to leave that out) anyhow I wouldnt come on our turf and nit pick if I was you...because we all know what happened to your mob last year dont we

jodragon40

Juniors
Seriously, one loss and we're back to this ? It wasn't Hook making all those stoopid errors or missing tackles or giving the Broncos a free ride like that poxy ref, or deciding drinks breaks wouldn't be required.

We just matched it for 70 minutes with arguably the benchmark team of the competition (at home) and definitely a top 4 or even top 2 forward pack. Forget the last 10 minutes, didn't happen. I thought our boys were great and once again big wraps to our bench coming on and playing above their weight. The combination of Kerr's quick play the balls and Liddle's darts out of dummy half need to be happening shortly after kick off though with Sloan and Bud ready to capitalize and with Mbye back to the bench. I also wonder why we put the Off Loads away this week with only 4 but the 12 last week got us some line breaks and a try.
I'll say it now, with more time together and with some tweaking and not too many injuries or suspensions we're a real chance of making the 8.
Not with this current team under this coach in my humble opinion

jodragon40

Juniors
Hunt should be working around the young halves , he has too much say with what goes on , if he has to go to 9 every now and then to give Sullivan and Amone time in the 7 , 6 he should ..... If we are all waiting for Hunt to have another year like last wont happen , he is a year older , injuries , and last year everything went to him first , with Sullivan and Amone ( if he plays ) then Hunt wont be involved as much ...... Hunts kicking bombs have no purpose at all no pressure put on the opposition ........ So yep I'm all for building our young halves combination for the future and not when Hunt decides he has had enough ...... The team is not going to win the Comp this year or next , or even make the 8 , Anyway lets see how it all pans out this year , maybe we will see improvements and lots of game time from the young brigade , Sloan , Sullivan , Amone , Coachman , Feagai brothers , Ramsey ( hope the kid is OK either way )
Agree plus those 2 young props we signed from the silvertails will help our go forward

Jim Dragons

Juniors
What about the time Sloan was tackled in the air..didn't even get a replY just fox saying a foot just touched the ground
Agreed - but at the end of the day we had the opportunities to win the game and this week came up short. So I am hoping this year we as supporters, we just accept the team performance and enjoy the journey for what it is. As a collective our club support has moved from "passionate" to "divisive". I for one would love to see us all get behind the club for better or worst and constantly shout "THAT'S OUR TEAM". Lets not allow those Negative Nellies to voice for the majority and stand loud that we support the club not death ride it !!!

justadragon

Bench
Agreed - but at the end of the day we had the opportunities to win the game and this week came up short. So I am hoping this year we as supporters, we just accept the team performance and enjoy the journey for what it is. As a collective our club support has moved from "passionate" to "divisive". I for one would love to see us all get behind the club for better or worst and constantly shout "THAT'S OUR TEAM". Lets not allow those Negative Nellies to voice for the majority and stand loud that we support the club not death ride it !!!
I agree with you Jim, BUT it would help if the team was somewhat successful over the last 12 years. Dont get me wrong I'd love to be sitting shouting from the top "thats my team" but when we continue to see the performances and management issues that are common practice and still inherent in the club, it makes you wonder what the hell you have been supporting. I love the Dragons and always will, but I dont have to like what they do across the club and continue to wave my flag and wear my hat and just say 'Thats my Team". This is a discussion forum for all things Dragons, Negative Nellies have a right to their opinion as well, if you believe thats death riding it, well thats your opinion.

jodragon40

Juniors
I agree with you Jim, BUT it would help if the team was somewhat successful over the last 12 years. Dont get me wrong I'd love to be sitting shouting from the top "thats my team" but when we continue to see the performances and management issues that are common practice and still inherent in the club, it makes you wonder what the hell you have been supporting. I love the Dragons and always will, but I dont have to like what they do across the club and continue to wave my flag and wear my hat and just say 'Thats my Team". This is a discussion forum for all things Dragons, Negative Nellies have a right to their opinion as well, if you believe thats death riding it, well thats your opinion.
And I agree with you. Before I retired there was a sign on the wall of the office it said " The standard we walk past is the standard that you accept". In my opinion the club has been divided from the top down to our juniors for at least the last 5 yrs. The behaviour both on and off the field by some players has been unacceptable. There is no one area who is entirely at fault its a combination from the boardroom to the senior management, to the coaching staff and finally the players. This has clearly affected the on field performances. Until something is done to correct the chasm then we cannot become a competitive top 8 team. Just my views. Lastly everyone is entitled to their opinion

Jim Dragons

Juniors
And I agree with you. Before I retired there was a sign on the wall of the office it said " The standard we walk past is the standard that you accept". In my opinion the club has been divided from the top down to our juniors for at least the last 5 yrs. The behaviour both on and off the field by some players has been unacceptable. There is no one area who is entirely at fault its a combination from the boardroom to the senior management, to the coaching staff and finally the players. This has clearly affected the on field performances. Until something is done to correct the chasm then we cannot become a competitive top 8 team. Just my views. Lastly everyone is entitled to their opinion
OK - the last thing I want to create is another opportunity to voice opinions that our club is broken.. I for one don't think the club is broken!!! Nor do I think we can make the finals this year. That doesn't mean I don't dream or cease my support. From what l saw in the GC and Broncs games we have a side that played good footy in patches and lacked concentration in others. I also have seen Penrith lose two games that they would have won in the previous three seasons. Maybe they too aren't the team they used to be... but there is another 20+ rounds of footy to go. I note the reckoning that the Board/Senior Man/Coaching/Players have fault... I think what I was doing was floating an idea that maybe our Supporter base also has fault. One thing we as a supporter base can quickly change here is to balance passion with support. I don't believe that dividing thoughts are a benefit in any supporter base. Trying to hold everyone else to blame and not looking at one's self is not trying to solve the problem at hand but more trying to deflect any stones coming at one's self. I have watched us play and at times deflatedly think "gees we are a dumb Footy Team". l am sure many of us have. But if we were to embrace a sense of encouraging others to improve (be it Board/Sen Man/Coaching/Players & Supporters) then just maybe we could show the other teams we ARE the Big Red V team of the past that we passionately support, AND before half of Wollongong start throwing stones at me - The Big Red V and Our south coast player base are the two biggest assets of this great club. The club as been dissected from the moment it was born. Most amalgamated clubs are - Fact. As supporters of the new entity we need to support improvement not more divide. The thought this or any other forum is a medium for venting dirty linen and everyone is entitled to do so - is just a cry to allow negative thoughts without scrutiny. Ask yourself a question "how has venting dirty linen worked for OUR club for the past 25 yrs?". What I am encouraging is for us as a supporter base to be way more positive. I am sure that deep down we all want to see our great club at the top again. But the reality is that 2010 did not quieten the howls for change. We can't expect our recruitment team to get rid of an ageing prop on his last season of contract and replace him with a bigger/faster and potentially better player signed for multiple seasons - no one is that silly to agree... Oh wait Manly apparently have... l thought it might be best finish on a high... I am not asking for the contributors of the forum to be denied an opinion... just that its balanced and realistic. I just hope if we support the Mighty St George - Illawarra Dragons that I can readily see that in our discussions more than I see a our dirty linen and our failures as a club. FOOTNOTE - the caption of the fable on setting standards was for everyone to set standards in their own actions and encouraging improvement - not expecting that someone else would tidy up the mess or calling to sack the boss as a quick solution. I think you was right - we can learn a little from that fable here :)

Latest posts