What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Melbourne @ AAMI Park, Melbourne

Who will win? Round 4: Melbourne v Wests Tigers

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
There is an interview with Sheens on Fox NRL, I can’t seem to copy & post it here?
It’s interesting, hearing between the lines, there will be a shake up and players gone, as he stated they were still looking at recruitment?

There is an interview with Sheens on Fox NRL, I can’t seem to copy & post it here?
It’s interesting, hearing between the lines, there will be a shake up and players gone, as he stated they were still looking at recruitment?

Yes, recruitment, I think he’s telling us what the club things we want to hear.

He got briefed on that when he arrived.

I think he needs to teach the boys to catch and pass. That would be a start.

Once Brooks is turfed at the end of the year that will free up 1 mil. Along with any other deadwood we punt. Should have a nice 2 mil to go chasing some players. Unless of course we blow it all on the skier

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers recruit John Bateman says he’s found what's been “missing” in his life after ending a two-year NRL hiatus last week.

Despite the challenges that came with leaving home and saying goodbye to his 13-year-old daughter for the second time in his career, the former Wigan Warrior knew he had unfinished business in the NRL.

With a relentless work ethic and a hard-edge attacking game on show in his club debut against the Bulldogs, the 29-year-old Englishmen said the speed and intensity of the NRL is what brings out his best as a rugby league player.
“Playing in the Super League I felt like something was missing for myself and it was probably missing the contest back here and the competition of the NRL,” Bateman told the media at training.
“I love a competition, that’s what I pride myself on. I love a contest and I don’t like taking a backwards step.
“I see everything as a contest on the field, you need to win your battles and if everyone out on the field does that I think we’ll win the game.

“That’s what we’re looking to do, we are looking to win the battle in certain areas of the field. Moving forward, if we come together, we can win the game.”

Having tasted on-field success – winning a premiership with Wigan in 2016 and 2018 before going mightily close with the Green Machine in 2019 – Bateman knows what it takes to win football games and that he doesn't like the feeling that comes with losing.

However, returning to the NRL a Wests Tiger, he's well aware of the difficult challenge that lies ahead if he's to help lead a new-look Tim Sheens’ outfit to see past the final game of the regular season for the first time since 2011.

“I just hate losing to be fair. I’m not a good loser, I never have been. I do whatever I can do to win,” Bateman said.

“I’ve got an older brother and when we were younger, me and him, we were just always trying to win. It probably stems from that a little bit.
“It’s frustrating to hear what’s been done before because we’re trying to look to the future. The club’s a massive club, we need to go out there and represent it the best we can. Obviously the first few games we haven’t done that so it’s down to it's up to us now to do that.”

Bateman impressed in his first game for the club on Sunday with a near try having grubbered through the line, and will line up alongside fellow big name recruit Isaiah Papali'i for the first time in the back row this Friday against the Storm.

Papali’i said Bateman’s effort on the field is what has his side confident they can break their duck against the Storm on Friday night.

"It is inspiring for us. He just never backs down from anyone and he’s always competing and aggressive in anything he’s involved with whether it's a tackle in defence or a grubber in attack," Papali'i told the media.

"I don’t think anyone’s as unorthodox as he is, obviously when he sees something he goes for it and I think the coaches back any of us to do what’s best for the team.

"You can definitely see he’s giving more than 100 per cent out there."

We need 17 of him every game day.

stryker

First Grade
Yeah the job is only half done. The pack has been strengthened. This off season it’ll be the backs.

It’s catchy.
Brooksie still played like a bitch for most of that year.

Melbourne Storm song sounds like Bellamy being tortured.

Brooksy plays it in his headphones before a match.

Tim looks more pissed off every week, miserable and manic.

Hes the worst coach in the NRL at the moment.

It might be time to give Bunji the keys, he can f**k it up so we can sign a real coach like Dessie. Someone who knows what they are doing.

Dessie would have punted Brooks last year and half the backline would pushing of up rugby league roses.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Melbourne Storm song sounds like Bellamy being tortured.

Brooksy plays it in his headphones before a match.

Tim looks more pissed off every week, miserable and manic.

Hes the worst coach in the NRL at the moment.

It might be time to give Bunji the keys, he can f**k it up so we can sign a real coach like Dessie. Someone who knows what they are doing.

Dessie would have punted Brooks last year and half the backline would pushing of up rugby league roses.
"Hes the worst coach in the NRL at the moment."

Brad Arthur thanks you, for your comment.

"Hes the worst coach in the NRL at the moment."

Brad Arthur thanks you, for your comment.

Well he is.

The things we can control, we aren’t controlling very well.

Too many errors, too much licence given to underachieving players.

2.8 games on Tim’s folly.

And we are coming last.

We r now the only winless team.We have to find a way to win tom nite.

The way the club has been knifed and butchered over the last few years by its incompetent, useless management, does anyone really care anymore?

We jag a win against the storm and the board announce we’ve turned the corner and then blink your eye and it’s business as f**king usual.

That’s why Tim is beyond pissed off at the moment, because all of his planning, play calls, models, staff and teaching has failed.

People are calling him a “snout in the trough” idiot. Promised he wouldn’t be coaching, remember that?

And what the f**k are Benji and Robbie doing too?

Whatever he’s asked them to do, they’ve f**ked that up also.

Until we string three good games together, forget about winning, just three vanilla factory first grade games, we may as well not bother.

I’m sure Tim is trying, I’m sure he’s well intended, but he wanted the job, he’s being paid a fortune and so far he’s f**king it all up.

it is getting to the point of care factor zero until there’s a clean out. Drain the swamp.

I’m surprised the NRL is issuing us a licence.

Look at that game tonight, ffs, we couldn’t handle ten minutes against either of them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’ve got a feeling we surprise tonight. I don’t really like Doeuihi at 1 but otherwise it’s the best team on paper we’ve had in a decade. Great pack, big strong fast centres. Storm have been horrible to start the year, yes Munster is a big in but Hughes is nearly as big an out. Their pack is fairly average and guys like Coates, Smith haven’t kicked on as expected. Papalli will be running at Pezet, hopefully Brooks can get him one on one.