What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wookie

Bench
And what`s this bullshit about hours viewed, never ever in my life have I seen this with any other ratings figures for anything, fullstop. It`s absolutely irrelevant to how many people were watching.
If anything it should mean that advertisers will be prepared to pay more , because of competition between advertisers to take advantage of the limited time to broadcast their adverts for their product or service.

Everything in that data stream has been requested repeatedly over the years. I try to cater for as many people as I can. This is why venue occupancy, total live audience and viewing hours have been posted at all.

Viewing Hours is predicated on the idea that match length and the number of breaks has been a factor for years - broadcasters and the NRL have acknowledged this on occasion. This is in part no least due to the amount of exposure it allows for FTA broadcasters and Fox to get for their broadcast partners. This in theory at least evens out some of the disparity in ratings.

And while Fox is primarily about subscriptions I should note that Foxtel signed 12 sponsors for its league coverage in 2023, and 19 for its 2023 AFL coverage.

Pneuma

First Grade
Not true

you’ve been posting only about the ratings forever

you only added the hours metric recently when the figures weren’t good for afl
Tbh it would never occur to me the length of a game meant anything as far as ratings go. To me tv ratings for a show simply are a measure of how many people watched it as an average over the length of the show. Wookies point, I think, is that it does matter to 9 and 7 etc as it affects the advertising dollar. The more ads you can cram in the better the returns in $. As such we will never get the same tv deal when our game is condensed into a shorter package.

Wb1234

Referee
Tbh it would never occur to me the length of a game meant anything as far as ratings go. To me tv ratings for a show simply are a measure of how many people watched it as an average over the length of the show. Wookies point, I think, is that it does matter to 9 and 7 etc as it affects the advertising dollar. The more ads you can cram in the better the returns in $. As such we will never get the same tv deal when our game is condensed into a shorter package.
It makes little sense when most of the tv deal is subscription tv where most of the revenue isn’t ad based

The_Wookie

Bench
Not true

you’ve been posting only about the ratings forever

you only added the hours metric recently when the figures weren’t good for afl

I have said that its not just about the ratings, or even the viewer hours, since i started doing this in 2011.

Pneuma

First Grade
Seriously Wookie isn’t the enemy guys ffs. He provides us with great data which is open to interpretation. If anything what he does provide has the potential for usage by the nrl in maximising future deals. Don’t take him for granted. The analytics this guy provides are rarely provided to this level of detail and are intriguing.

Wb1234

Referee
Seriously Wookie isn’t the enemy guys ffs. He provides us with great data which is open to interpretation. If anything what he does provide has the potential for usage by the nrl in maximising future deals. Don’t take him for granted. The analytics this guy provides are rarely provided to this level of detail and are intriguing.
Wookiees a good guy

but someone asked a question about the hours of each sport so I gave my answer

even if he wants to talk up afl on his Twitter that’s fine

i wasn’t attacking him per se

and I’m sure the extra traffic on his Twitter will have a monetary benefit lol

Pneuma

First Grade
Wookiees a good guy

but someone asked a question about the hours of each sport so I gave my answer

even if he wants to talk up afl on his Twitter that’s fine

i wasn’t attacking him per se

and I’m sure the extra traffic on his Twitter will have a monetary benefit lol
All good mate but don’t call me Perse :)

The_Wookie

Bench
You’re also assuming ad rates are the same on fox for league and afl when more than likely league will have higher rates

Theres a variety of factors that would go into this and where match broadcasts are concerned it really depends if Fox subscribe to the theory that match length doesnt matter. It also might depend on what their focus group or survey data says which might indicate which set of viewers are more engaged regardless of length and number of viewers - not just during live matches but on through the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.