What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 4 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Saturday 25th March 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Ohhhhhhhhh man!!! I don't even know what to say after that one!! Dunno about you guys but I've only just calmed down. Crazy game, an absolute roller coaster. One minute I'm so pissed off, the next I'm jumping for joy! Our boys took years off all of our lives today haha.

But what a night. Seriously, what a special night. That is one of my favourite wins ever and it is one that I will never, ever forget. Honoring Satts, such an emotional night for the club, our backs against the wall missing so many forwards, against a top four contender, and we got the friggin job done!! We did it for John and no doubt he was up there smiling.

Just the definition of guts that one. I'm not going to come on here and say we played great just because we won, that was not the case at all. Ball handling poor again, silly penalties again, our attack was clunky and lost at times, I rally feel like once again we were beating ourselves, but the guts the boys showed was immense. Through it all, the guts and determination shone through. The South Sydney spirit shone through.

I can't believe the effort to win that game when it didn't look likely at times. So many players that could barely walk. Hats off to you lads, I am so, so proud. A win like that on a night like this when you're not playing at your best is huge!

Some things are just meant to be aren't they? Satts departs the earth on the week we play his old foe Manly, we win tough and gutsy just like him, we score 13 points to win too. Even an Oscar-winning director couldn't write a script like that.

Just such a special night. Not afraid to admit I cried at full time. Just overcame with emotion. A special night that i will cherish forever. Well done Souths!!

Ohhhhhhhhh man!!! I don't even know what to say after that one!! Dunno about you guys but I've only just calmed down. Crazy game, an absolute roller coaster. One minute I'm so pissed off, the next I'm jumping for joy! Our boys took years off all of our lives today haha.

But what a night. Seriously, what a special night. That is one of my favourite wins ever and it is one that I will never, ever forget. Honoring Satts, such an emotional night for the club, our backs against the wall missing so many forwards, against a top four contender, and we got the friggin job done!! We did it for John and no doubt he was up there smiling.

Just the definition of guts that one. I'm not going to come on here and say we played great just because we won, that was not the case at all. Ball handling poor again, silly penalties again, our attack was clunky and lost at times, I rally feel like once again we were beating ourselves, but the guts the boys showed was immense. Through it all, the guts and determination shone through. The South Sydney spirit shone through.

I can't believe the effort to win that game when it didn't look likely at times. So many players that could barely walk. Hats off to you lads, I am so, so proud. A win like that on a night like this when you're not playing at your best is huge!

Some things are just meant to be aren't they? Satts departs the earth on the week we play his old foe Manly, we win tough and gutsy just like him, we score 13 points to win too. Even an Oscar-winning director couldn't write a script like that.

Just such a special night. Not afraid to admit I cried at full time. Just overcame with emotion. A special night that i will cherish forever. Well done Souths!!

Yeah, it was a historic night, another chapter written into your Rabbitoh history books.

Never to be erased.

It was good for the souls of the players and all Souths fans attending to have had this moment.

That’s all Satts could have asked for.

Cody was scintillating.

DCE was respectful, just an enormous asset to the sport.

JD is a great coach.

A bit of history and emotion is a good thing for the game. I’m happy for you.

A poem

A rainy miserable Sydney
Round 4 of NRL
Johnny Sattler left this mortal coil
To heaven not to hell

A makeshift side was all Souths had
A debut there as well
And Manly sought its harsh revenge
They were equal at the bell

But ghost or spirit
Satts appeared in extra time it was
To steer the kick between the posts
The half rabbit was the boss!

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Magic night Brother!
We honoured an absolute legend of our history, we won the game against the team that is tied to Satts legend, showing the guts and grit that he had to in the famous GF.
AND Labor won the election, you bloody beauty!
I know our other brother @handyman2190 will be STOKED about that
Stoked!!! I choked with emotion,tears running down my cheeks, one of the gutsiest hard faught games ive ever seen,such adversity!! Im so proud of our great club,i couldnt sleep all night, and you know what, all 8 grades won yesterday, yes all 8, a magical feat.
StAND PROUD!!!!
I am. I love u my brothers in arms!

callmack1

Staff member
Ahhh what a feeling waking up today!!

Souths Salute Sattler with Golden Point Victory: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/25/souths-salute-sattler-with-golden-point-victory/

Press Conference - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/25/round-4-post-match-press-conference/

'No way they were going to lose' - Souths win for Satts: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/26/no-way-they-were-going-to-lose-souths-win-for-satts/

'Give me the ball.' Souths rookie's clutch golden point play as Manly robbed of certain try - 3 Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/df7ecf0f4f1e50043fd8f88b790cdd4b

I reckon that them playing Glory, Glory followed by John singing was absolutely magic.
We should petition the club to play it like that every game .
Streaming out the stadium with Glory, Glory echoing then hearing John sing… goosebumps. People literally paused to listen. Our club has a long, rich history and giving it this human element was just so special. Long may it continue.

Rest in Peace Satts. Glory Glory to South Sydney.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yeah, it was a historic night, another chapter written into your Rabbitoh history books.

Never to be erased.

It was good for the souls of the players and all Souths fans attending to have had this moment.

That’s all Satts could have asked for.

Cody was scintillating.

DCE was respectful, just an enormous asset to the sport.

JD is a great coach.

A bit of history and emotion is a good thing for the game. I’m happy for you.

A poem

A rainy miserable Sydney
Round 4 of NRL
Johnny Sattler left this mortal coil
To heaven not to hell

A makeshift side was all Souths had
A debut there as well
And Manly sought its harsh revenge
They were equal at the bell

But ghost or spirit
Satts appeared in extra time it was
To steer the kick between the posts
The half rabbit was the boss!
Excellent!
Thanks for that mate, it's actually quite touching

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
f**k that was such a close game. Im really impressed by our defence to hold them to 12. Manly got dudded by that forward pass call but f**k we have received some shit calls the past couple of weeks. Its nice to get one go our way and unfortunate for Manly.
the pass before the one called forward was actually forward. I called it straight away, and you can hear the crowd call it too.

callmack1

Staff member
Just finished watching the replay so here's my full report,

Attack

We might have got the result in great fashion but there's no denying that our attack was far from on last night. A few really good backline moves and a few opportunities throughout the game but that was about it. Apart from that, it looked pretty clunky. I'm not really sure why either. Maybe it was the players missing? Maybe Keaon not being on an edge, maybe Host out of sync at the moment on the left? I don't know. But there's no denying it didn't look crisp for much of the night. That's probably the biggest work on out of this game for me, we have one of the best attacking teams in the comp when we get it right, just got to get it right.

Once again too, we were plagued by errors at times. Our completion rate over all was 75%, which still isn't good enough, but I think there was one stage where it was as low as 60% and this really allowed Manly to not only get into the game, but get on top. Thankfully, we cleaned it up and the rest is history. However, it's still not good enough, it's becoming a big issue. We're lucky we played with such guts and determination, or it would have been a case of errors costing us a game at all.

In terms of go-forward, I do have to give a massive wrap to the whole side but the forwards especially. We were depleted and somewhat outgunned, but the middle held their own and we had no real problems making meters for the most part. Great stuff.

Defence

The most pleasing part of the night for me. Coming into this game, Manly have been one of the hottest attacking sides in the comp but you wouldn't know it watching that game. We defended incredibly well. Manly had their fair share of ball down our end, plenty of opportunities but we kept turning them away and turning them away. Forced them into plenty of errors. They actually really struggled to break through our line at all. It just looked like nearly every play they put on, we had it covered. Of course, there was a few close calls but our scramble was really good. We handled their big threats in Trbojevic and DCE really well.

In the end, we only conceded 12 points and they were off a kick and an intercept. I'll cop that and I'm pretty happy with that against a top four contender. What's more, we kept them scoreless in the second stanza.

Just really proud of our defence. It's come a long way. The lads are really turning up for eachother and putting in.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: Very, very quiet for the first 60 minutes or so, and I mean VERY quiet. He was barely in the game at all. Only three runs in the first half which is very poor. However, he did really pick it up in the last quarter of the game where he was so involved in everything we did. It was like he finally pulled the trigger and just went for it. Some huge, scary carries up the middle to get out of trouble and he was chiming in on the backline plays really well at that stage. Missed his field goal attempt but did end up finishing with 155 meters from 15 runs so that's not bad. However, having a 'not bad' night is just not good enough for Trell. He's our main superstar so should be showing it, not hiding for most of the game. I've been defending him so far, but it is starting to really frustrate me. We need more.

Johnston: A pretty solid night on both sides of the ball. Strong carries and kick returns to make 113 meters, very safe under the high ball as he defused a lot, and while he did have limited opportunities down the left, he did what he could with what he had when he got his chances. Didn't put a foot wrong in defence. Well done AJ.

Tass: I was pretty damn impressed with Tass last night. In a really tight game, he did more than his bit to get us the win. Firstly, his carries out of our own end, they were simply outstanding and his work rate was huge. This is evidenced in the stats as he made a whopping 207 meters of 21 runs! That's incredible. Most of them were just gool old-fashion hit ups too. been so impressed with this area of his game and last night was no different. What's more, he looked pretty dangerous in attack. Got a lot of good ball and was asking some questions but it never really came to anything. The one criticism I do have of him right now is that he's not very good at promoting the ball and setting up AJ. This is all part of his development though. Very impressed with his defence, this area of his game was exceptional. Marking Koula and Olakau'atu is a huge task but he handled it well, very well, including a try saver on Koula in the second half. Olakau'atu did outleap him to score but to be fair, Tassy gave it a go. Well played lad!

Graham: Was probably more than just 'good' but that's probably his worst game of the year so far in my opinion. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he had a poor game at all, just saying that he's been going so well this year and I don't think he quite hit those heights in Round 4. There's no doubt he didn't look as 'on' defensively as he normally does. Brad Parker got around him many times with his footwork which caused Stretch a few problems. He came up with some poor reads a couple of times that lead to line breaks or half breaks. Thankfully, none of this cost us. So it wasn't his finest defensive performance that we have come to expect. I'm probably being very knit-picky and might be overly critical but we need to be honest about this stuff when we're chasing a Premiership. Stretch will know it and will be better next week. Aside from that, he was great with the ball as always. Absolutely loving his carries out of our end, he was huge there once again.

Thompson: Little bit of a quiet game for Izaac he just went about his business and did his job. Nothing overly special, nothing bad, he just did his job. Took his hit ups, made his tackles, caught the bombs he had to, made no errors. Guess that's all you can really ask.

Walker: We've been waiting four weeks for Cody to wake up a bit and really stamp his authority on a game and it finally happened last night!! He was our man of the match. Looked much more focused and relaxed which is when he's at his best. Super dangerous whenever he touched the ball and did his bit to create what he could. Scored both our tries too. The first was just Cody personified. The ultimate competitor, never gave up on the play when many would have. Just kept chasing it and chasing it and was rewarded with a miraculous try! Literally centimeters inside the line. Incredible try!! It was Cody again at his best later in the game for his second try. A great backline shift, he gets involved, gets the ball and he's so deceptive that that's all it took for the defence to hesitate and he was gone. Parker couldn't shut it down in time and he crashed over. Great play Cody. Very strong defensively too. What a game and I hope this is the game that really gets him going in 2023.

Ilias: Not to be outdone by his halves partner, I thought Lachy had a very solid game too. His kicking game was pretty good, apart from one he kicked dead. Even went for a 40/20 at one stage. Looked good attacking the line and had a hand in pretty much everything good we did in attack. Played a great role in Cody's second try, he set Cody up in a great position. Without the ball, he was just as good as he always is. Came up with some huge stops! Then, his moment. What a moment it was in golden point!!! Steps up confidently and absolutely nails the field goal to win us the game. Ice in his veins. Couldn't be happier for him as it's a huge career moment, the first field goal of his career and the first time he's really 'won' us a game.

callmack1

Staff member
Koloamatangi: Seriously, Keaon deserves a massive wrap after his performance. I know he made a couple poor errors, but aside from that, he was simply incredible. Playing in the middle, playing 80 too, it was a colossal effort. You could see how gassed he was at times, especially towards the end of the game but he kept putting his hand up time and time again. His runs were all quality and he's a huge reason why I believe our pack held their own. 189 meters from 19 runs, that's huge!! Well done Keaon, couldn't have done much more. One of our best for sure.

Cook: Pretty good. A few darting runs but other than that, just focused on his service which was good apart from the odd pass. Set up the first try to Cody with a great kick into the in-goal. Yea, Cody 'made' the kick, up it was still a nice grubber that had the perfect weight. Tackled himself to a stand still too with 50 tackles. That is incredible!

Burgess: Huge!! Just monstrous. We've all been a bit critical of him when he starts a game but you certainly can't be critical of him last night. Both his stints were fantastic and along with Keaon, he was the other one that played a real role in our depleted forwards going well. It was just one barnstorming run after another for Tom. 158 meters all up, that's mad!! For me though, you could really notice the impact he was having on the game when he wasn't on the field. With Tom off, that's when Manly started to get the upper hand, when he returned, the game shifted in our favor.

Chee Kam: Feel like I've said this for pretty much every one of his games so far this year (and it's not a bad thing), but he was solid. Nothing special at all, just did his job. A few great tackles on our line in particular. Did make a couple of errors and stifled our attack a couple of times but apart from that I can't really fault him.

Host: A little mixed but I'd still call it a successful return. Some really strong carries in there and I was happy with his involvement in the time he spent on the field. Very safe in defence too. However, he did make that huge error halfway through the first half through a lack of concentration and that changed the momentum of the game. came off shortly after that and didn't return which was a little strange, I was concerned he was injured but it sounds like it was just our rotation. We have to remember it was Hosty's first game since may last year. He'll get better, great to have him back.

Murray: What do you say about this bloke? Seriously, every week just about he gets a glowing report from me. Last night was no different. Gave it everything he had and then some! His effort is just amazing, he couldn't have done much more. Towards the end of regular time, he was that gassed he was just a passenger for that last set or two, a testament to his work. Just about everything he did was quality. 124 meters and an insane 57, yes 57, tackles!!! That is simply incredible and I tip my hat to him. Great leadership.

Lovett: A huge night for him with the debut and although he didn't play big minutes, I was impressed with what I saw. He didn't look out of place at all as he came on and just slotted in seamlessly. A few really strong carries and got down and dirty in defence early, quite busy in the time he was on and did well. Congrats on the debut lad, first of many I hope.

Suluka-Fifita: We were all calling for him to step up with the guys we had out and I'm happy to say that he did that. I was very impressed. Took it to the Manly pack and provided great impact off the bench. Was running with some real aggression as he bent the line pretty much every run and even slipped through it once. Great performance, hopefully this is something he can build off in the coming weeks moving forward.

Moale: Got to be honest, I'm not sold on Davvy right now. Once again, and it's been this way since Round 1, he looked a bit out of his depth to me. Didn't provide much impact and got folded on the majority of his carries. Seven runs for 45 meters isn't really good enough when you're already down on middle forwards. I know he's only just turned 20, he's doing amazing to even be there but I've just been a little disappointed with him since Round 1.

Cartwright: Was okay. Didn't really do a lot or provide any real impact to be fair though. I was infuriated at the penalty he gave away deep in their half, he was on the ground and tried to make a tackle. That was just stupid, we had manly on the ropes a bit and that relived all the pressure.

All in all, I am so friggin proud. A real South Sydney spirit sort of a game last night. I know we weren't perfect, I know we were clunky, I know we still have a lot to work on but to get the result like that against a quality side when you're down on troops too, it's pretty impressive.

We did it for Satts. A special night that I will never forget!

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Koloamatangi: Seriously, Keaon deserves a massive wrap after his performance. I know he made a couple poor errors, but aside from that, he was simply incredible. Playing in the middle, playing 80 too, it was a colossal effort. You could see how gassed he was at times, especially towards the end of the game but he kept putting his hand up time and time again. His runs were all quality and he's a huge reason why I believe our pack held their own. 189 meters from 19 runs, that's huge!! Well done Keaon, couldn't have done much more. One of our best for sure.

Cook: Pretty good. A few darting runs but other than that, just focused on his service which was good apart from the odd pass. Set up the first try to Cody with a great kick into the in-goal. Yea, Cody 'made' the kick, up it was still a nice grubber that had the perfect weight. Tackled himself to a stand still too with 50 tackles. That is incredible!

Burgess: Huge!! Just monstrous. We've all been a bit critical of him when he starts a game but you certainly can't be critical of him last night. Both his stints were fantastic and along with Keaon, he was the other one that played a real role in our depleted forwards going well. It was just one barnstorming run after another for Tom. 158 meters all up, that's mad!! For me though, you could really notice the impact he was having on the game when he wasn't on the field. With Tom off, that's when Manly started to get the upper hand, when he returned, the game shifted in our favor.

Chee Kam: Feel like I've said this for pretty much every one of his games so far this year (and it's not a bad thing), but he was solid. Nothing special at all, just did his job. A few great tackles on our line in particular. Did make a couple of errors and stifled our attack a couple of times but apart from that I can't really fault him.

Host: A little mixed but I'd still call it a successful return. Some really strong carries in there and I was happy with his involvement in the time he spent on the field. Very safe in defence too. However, he did make that huge error halfway through the first half through a lack of concentration and that changed the momentum of the game. came off shortly after that and didn't return which was a little strange, I was concerned he was injured but it sounds like it was just our rotation. We have to remember it was Hosty's first game since may last year. He'll get better, great to have him back.

Murray: What do you say about this bloke? Seriously, every week just about he gets a glowing report from me. Last night was no different. Gave it everything he had and then some! His effort is just amazing, he couldn't have done much more. Towards the end of regular time, he was that gassed he was just a passenger for that last set or two, a testament to his work. Just about everything he did was quality. 124 meters and an insane 57, yes 57, tackles!!! That is simply incredible and I tip my hat to him. Great leadership.

Lovett: A huge night for him with the debut and although he didn't play big minutes, I was impressed with what I saw. He didn't look out of place at all as he came on and just slotted in seamlessly. A few really strong carries and got down and dirty in defence early, quite busy in the time he was on and did well. Congrats on the debut lad, first of many I hope.

Suluka-Fifita: We were all calling for him to step up with the guys we had out and I'm happy to say that he did that. I was very impressed. Took it to the Manly pack and provided great impact off the bench. Was running with some real aggression as he bent the line pretty much every run and even slipped through it once. Great performance, hopefully this is something he can build off in the coming weeks moving forward.

Moale: Got to be honest, I'm not sold on Davvy right now. Once again, and it's been this way since Round 1, he looked a bit out of his depth to me. Didn't provide much impact and got folded on the majority of his carries. Seven runs for 45 meters isn't really good enough when you're already down on middle forwards. I know he's only just turned 20, he's doing amazing to even be there but I've just been a little disappointed with him since Round 1.

Cartwright: Was okay. Didn't really do a lot or provide any real impact to be fair though. I was infuriated at the penalty he gave away deep in their half, he was on the ground and tried to make a tackle. That was just stupid, we had manly on the ropes a bit and that relived all the pressure.

All in all, I am so friggin proud. A real South Sydney spirit sort of a game last night. I know we weren't perfect, I know we were clunky, I know we still have a lot to work on but to get the result like that against a quality side when you're down on troops too, it's pretty impressive.

We did it for Satts. A special night that I will never forget!
Tom really was an unsung hero and Lovett was very solid in his debut 👍

Agree with Bob McCarthy on radio this morning when he said we need more involvement from Lattrell.

He chews up a fair whack of salary cap and needs to be a match winner. Missed a crucial conversion and a field goal to win the game from almost in front.

Got to get more bang for our buck !!